OK Google acknowledgement tone

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone's phone make an audible 'ding' anymore after you say "OK Google"? Mine used to - it was how, if you were hands free, you could tell she was in listening mode. Now there's just a faint vibration, which isn't terribly helpful if my phone isn't in my hand.

I'm on Nougat & my 5X no longer does that. Boyfriend has a Samsung Note on marshmallow 6.0.1 w/Sept 1 patch. His doesn't ding anymore either, but both did until fairly recently (maybe just a few weeks ago?)

Was this changed in that last patch?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Someone else mentioned this as well in another thread. I don't get tones any more either--I've tested my Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, and Zenfone 2. I'm on the beta program for the Google app, though--are you using the normal version of the Google app?

I just sent Google some feedback about this, and encourage you to do the same!

BrutalhonestyM

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

If switch access on didn't work try this.
1. First check if Voice Search is turned ON.
To do this, open Google Chrome.
In the top right corner, click the Chrome menu Menu and then Settings.
In the "Search" section, check Enable "Ok Google" to start a voice search
If it is turned on and still doesn't work then you can go through the following steps.
2. Go to Settings > Apps > Google App > tap on the menu icon (three vertical dots) > Uninstall updates.
3. If that doesn't help, from Settings > Apps > Google App > Storage > CLEAR CACHE.
4. You may also click on MANAGE SPACE > CLEAR ALL DATA (be cautious when you do this as it may also delete settings and such.)
5.Or go to Settings > Apps > Google App > tap on 'DISABLE' and then tap on 'ENABLE '(For the devices which have Google App pre-installed)
6. If this also doesn't work install Clean Master Lite from Play Store, give all the permissions (including switch access) and run the app
7. Check if there are any other applications present on your device which might be interfering with voice commands. If yes, uninstall them and see if it works.

Hope this helps :), if it doesn't let me know.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
1. First check if Voice Search is turned ON.
To do this, open Google Chrome.
In the top right corner, click the Chrome menu Menu and then Settings.
In the "Search" section, check Enable "Ok Google" to start a voice search

I don't see this in the Chrome menu. Are you talking about the Google app settings menu?

Clearing the app cache for the Google app didn't help. And I'll be frank--I'm not letting Cheetah Mobile get near my phone.;) Thanks for the input, though!

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to be rude, but as soon as I read your suggestion to install a Cheetah Mobile app, I don't want to bother with anything you're suggesting. They're well known on the forums (here & elsewhere) as a company to avoid.

I also already cleared my system cache & did a factory reset after Nougat & the Sept update; I see no point in doing it again when it's not likely to do anything new.

My son has a 6p on Nougat (not on beta) & has also lost his acknowledgement tone; boyfriend has a Note 5 & lost his just since the last update he got about a week ago

It sounds like it was probably something that changed just in the last update.

B. Diddy - yes I'm on beta. Is there a case we can add to, or did you email them?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
B. Diddy - yes I'm on beta. Is there a case we can add to, or did you email them?

I sent feedback through the Help & Feedback section of the Google app's menu. I encourage you to as well.

When I get a chance, I'll check my wife's phone, since she's not on the beta.

BrutalhonestyM

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Oh my bad. It was mentioned on a Google forum and that it worked for people. I should have taken the cleanmaster app out. Thank you for pointing it out. :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just checked my wife's Note5, which is not on the beta version of the Google app--also no OK Google tone.

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I submitted a ticket thru Google Fi (I know it's not really a Fi issue, but figured it was a place to start, since they're usually pretty responsive) - first I got an email saying they could definitely help, but suggested I check the settings in the Google app & turned on Notifications there. LOL.

I replied that I had checked, & there was no setting there for this. Less than an hour later I got this reply:
"Sorry we're not able to resolve the issue. There is a way to submit feedback to our Android engineering team.

To send feedback from your device:
Open your device's Settings app.
Scroll to the bottom and tap About phone or About tablet -> Send feedback about this device.
Type your feedback.
To include your system logs, check the "Include system logs" box. These logs help Google when you report a technical issue.
Tap Send. Your message, system information, and email address (if you're signed in) will be sent to Google."

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it's fixed. I just tried it after uninstalling all updates to TalkBack and disabling it. OK Google tone is back!:D

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Both my 1st Gen. Moto G, running Lollipop, and my 3rd Gen., running Marshmallow, had/have the acknowledgement tone sometimes work, sometimes not. And, when the acknowledgement tone doesn't work, I also don't get the voice confirmation on voice dials.

Have never been able to determine what action or sequence-of-events made/makes them stop, or what makes them mysteriously work again. Makes the whole "Google Now" thing rather kinda useless, for my purposes. I rarely need to know where's the closest sushi bar, but, I do often need to place a call while driving down the road and paying attention to, you know, driving.

As for reporting it to Google: Yeah... I don't think I'll waste my time on that exercise again. I'd found that, after pairing my 1st Gen. Moto G with my ASUS ZenWatch2, that my phone's notification tones would mysteriously go away entirely--requiring a reboot to get them back. Somebody else, using a completely different phone and version of Android, discovered what was triggering the behaviour: Using Google Now to voice dial from your watch. I gave Android Wear a less-than-stellar rating for that, Google reached out, I followed their suggestions. Re-did everything they suggested, including painstakingly FR'ing and re-pairing the watch with the phone. No joy. Their CSR eventually simply never followed-up on the results of the last thing he had me try. IOW: When the "Did you try rebooting it?" (MS-Windows, anybody?) did not work: They simply gave up.

Same thing happens with the new phone, btw. My conclusion: Google Now is just plain crap software. Poorly designed, poorly written, and poorly tested.

I don't use it, much.

Good job, Google!

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I get the audible 'ding' when I use Google Voice.

I am not on beta testing for this app
Settings>Accessibility>Services>Switch Access is off , as Talkback is off as well

Google app version : 6.4.31.21. arm 64
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am on the NRD90T (beta) haven't got the update to last version of NRD90U still .

So I assume all posting reporting its still not working,do mean it always doesn't work for some reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance