Is 7.1 dev preview daily driver ready?

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I am enrolled in the beta program on my Nexus 6P and I'm wondering if anyone else has been using it. If so, can you tell me if you think it's daily driven ready or if I should wait for future releases?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I took the plunge and installed it. So far so good! It's definitely more responsive overall and I'm under the impression that the battery is ever so slightly better. Very impressive for a dev preview 1. Thanks for providing all of your initial thoughts!

Last edited:

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded and installed it last night myself on my 6P, and so far, everything is running fine. I have the app quidgets for the quick toggles in the notification drop down menu, and when i try to add new ones it force closes, but it's not a big deal to me at all. Other than that, everything is running smooth!

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
So this is the first time I've used a dev preview build. I had enrolled in the program to "speed up" getting the 7.0 OTA and I was pretty sure right after that I had opted back out of it, but apparently not.............suffice it to say, I went ahead and installed this 7.1 build just to see how it was. I know it was mentioned that the "Pixel launcher" was something separate from the actual OS now and that it was available in the Play Store, but I'm not seeing it. At least not an "official" version of it that lists Google as the developer on it. Is that NOT what people were making reference to (an official version), but just that someone has provided a version of the Pixel launcher as a downloadable app?

And on this same note........I've been using the Google "Now" launcher for quite a while........which I downloaded as an app from the Play Store.......but when I go into that listing in the My Apps section, the ONLY option I have for it is to "Open" it.......there's NO option in the Play Store listing to uninstall it. If that is part of the problem here, how do I quit using the Now launcher or uninstall?? :confused:

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I installed the Android 7.1.1 and other than needing to uninstall and reinstall the Kindle app, it's running fine for me. I did select each app to see if it would load but I haven't used all of them extensively. I also don't have nearly as many apps as some. No games. No social media. It might be my imagination but my Nexus 5x seems a bit faster.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I installed the Android 7.1.1 and other than needing to uninstall and reinstall the Kindle app, it's running fine for me. I did select each app to see if it would load but I haven't used all of them extensively. I also don't have nearly as many apps as some. No games. No social media. It might be my imagination but my Nexus 5x seems a bit faster.
Me too as well. maybe it's just my imagination, but my Nexus 6p seems to be a little bit faster and smoother too!

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Me too as well. maybe it's just my imagination, but my Nexus 6p seems to be a little bit faster and smoother too!

My 6P seems a little bit quicker also, but not so much that it couldn't be my imagination. So far it seems at least as good as 7.0 was.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I mean it seems a little hit faster and smoother then it was. I am loving 7.1 so far! Battery is also awesome as well!

scoutzdad

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Good things to hear. I too am thinking of re-enrolling in the beta to get 7.1dp, but what happens if I find it's not stable enough, etc. for me and want to un-enroll in the beta program? Will it wipe my device and re-install 7.0?

tsparks1

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Good things to hear. I too am thinking of re-enrolling in the beta to get 7.1dp, but what happens if I find it's not stable enough, etc. for me and want to un-enroll in the beta program? Will it wipe my device and re-install 7.0?

Yep, it will wipe your device.

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I am also finding 7.1 decidedly quicker - have not yet seen the better battery performance that some have apparently experienced.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I am also finding 7.1 decidedly quicker - have not yet seen the better battery performance that some have apparently experienced.
Well, like I said, overall a bit faster, and maybe it's just me but battery has a little bit. Nice Improvement!

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I mean it seems a little hit faster and smoother then it was. I am loving 7.1 so far! Battery is also awesome as well!

What is your battery life now compared to 7.0? Any screen on time that you can refer to or is it less Android OS/System drain?

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Nobody has mentioned the fact that night mode is gone. Before i updated, i installed an app by Mike Evans called night mode enabler. This revealed the apparently hidden (i don't understand) night mode tile. Annoying, but whatever. Now, the app doesn't reveal the tile, and when i look through the play store, another developer has pretty much said that Google took it out of 7.1.1. So now it's not just hidden, but gone. Bear in mind the fact that the 2016 nexus- excuse me, "pixel" features something called night LIGHT that is identical to night MODE besides the fact that it's unhidden and convenient to use. Also bear in mind the importance of branding. A nexus is a middle tier 300-500 dollar phone. A pixel is an 800 dollar flagship. Does Google want you to be totally satisfied with your current phone, or do they want your 6p to leave just a little to be desired? And you know, that's fair. Of course the new thing is better. But don't make it artificially better by removing features from last year's device. Thumbs down, Google.

Last edited:

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
One thing I noticed, available storage has increased. I know on Marshmallow I had 25GB and change of max available storage. Never noticed on 7.0 (and never saw any mention of it) but now on 7.1.1 I have 29.12GB of max available storage. Every little bit helps!