Empty photo files in Android 7.0?

jo44jo

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Since my Nexus 5X was upgraded to Android 7.0, I have noticed in the DCIM\Camera folder that every photo I take is accompanied by a similarly named EMPTY folder. So folder IMG_20161019_150443 is empty but there is a corresponding IMG_20161019_150443.jpg in the \Camera folder!

Deleting the corresponding .jpg file DOES NOT delete the paired folder (at least immediately).

Is anyone else experiencing this?

--------
Doesn't appear that I can edit the title, which is incorrect. The word 'files' should be replaced with 'folders':
Empty photo 'FOLDERS' in Android 7.0?

Attachments

• Android 7 - empty camera folders - 2016-10-19.png
    Android 7 - empty camera folders - 2016-10-19.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm also seeing this on my 5X running Nougat. I just deleted 80 folders using Solid Explorer. I haven't seen anything to indicate that the folders can't be deleted but obviously be careful if you try it.

Also Open Camera does not create these folders so it appears to just be a bug in the stock camera app.

jo44jo

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Others are also reporting this. I also submitted this to the Google Nexus help forums but no one else has chimed in yet from there.

Hopefully Google will see the reports and fix the problem.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 5x running Android 7.1.1.
I don't keep many photos on my camera and I moved them to the computer when I have twenty or so photos. I've had the empty folders for quite a while but when I moved photos yesterday, I didn't have any.

One other comment on Google Photo. When I go to move all my photos, the option of "Select All" doesn't exist until after I have selected one photo. Minor glitch. Minor irritant.

Edit: When I walked my dog this morning, I took to photos and downloaded them to my PC when I got home. No empty files.

Last edited: