On-screen Buttons were simple and intuitive, now requires constant thought

Prodigga

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
In the 7.1 beta (Nexus 6p) the 3 on screen buttons now stay on the "bottom" side of the phone regardless of the screen orientation. This means, depending on which way you rotate your phone the buttons can appear on the left or right side in landscape mode. The buttons always used to appear on the right side of the screen when in landscape mode.

Ive been using the beta since it became available on Nexus 6p and I still haven't gotten used to it. I don't understand the reason behind the changes. I'll be watching full screen videos in bed, then at some point the buttons randomly start appearing on the other side of the screen in landscape mode? What? Oh that's right, at some point I rolled over in bed, so the landscape direction changed, and so now the buttons are on the other side. Gah.

When you want to press back to exit the video, you have to either make a conscious effort to remember which side of the screen is the "bottom" of your phone or just try to swipe both sides of the screen to bring up the on-screen buttons.

Also, why hasn't the notification tray received the same treatment? It should always stay on the "top" of the phone regardless of orientation, right? Just as the on-screen buttons stay in the "bottom" of the phone. So if I am in Left Landscape, I would swipe the left side of the screen towards the right to "bring down" the notification tray. They didn't do that because it's just really damn confusing! So why are we using this confusing system for the on-screen buttons?

Anyone else annoyed by this?

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
In the 7.1 beta (Nexus 6p) the 3 on screen buttons now stay on the "bottom" side of the phone regardless of the screen orientation. This means, depending on which way you rotate your phone the buttons can appear on the left or right side in landscape mode. The buttons always used to appear on the right side of the screen when in landscape mode.

Ive been using the beta since it became available on Nexus 6p and I still haven't gotten used to it. I don't understand the reason behind the changes. I'll be watching full screen videos in bed, then at some point the buttons randomly start appearing on the other side of the screen in landscape mode? What? Oh that's right, at some point I rolled over in bed, so the landscape direction changed, and so now the buttons are on the other side. Gah.

When you want to press back to exit the video, you have to either make a conscious effort to remember which side of the screen is the "bottom" of your phone or just try to swipe both sides of the screen to bring up the on-screen buttons.

Also, why hasn't the notification tray received the same treatment? It should always stay on the "top" of the phone regardless of orientation, right? Just as the on-screen buttons stay in the "bottom" of the phone. So if I am in Left Landscape, I would swipe the left side of the screen towards the right to "bring down" the notification tray. They didn't do that because it's just really damn confusing! So why are we using this confusing system for the on-screen buttons?

Anyone else annoyed by this?

I don't mind it personally, I think Google does this in the name of consistency and simplicity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair