Pros and cons

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I wanted to pose this question to everyone here. Regardless of what the new pixel 2 looks like, I am still thinking of the s8. Here are my thoughts.

Pixel pro's: pure Google, gets the latest sw version, no bloatware, unlimited photo cloud backup Pixel cons: ambient display sucks, vibrate on the 6p is weak.

Galaxy S8 pro's: always on lock screen display, vibrate might be a bit stronger, the storage options though does concern me though.

Cons: depending on how you look at it, TouchWiz, de bloating apps.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
It really boils down to personal preference.

I used iPhones for years and then bought the s7 edge.
I buy these from Samsung and not via Networks as I do not want their apps on my phone.

Personally I prefer to carry out my homework on what phone I'm getting next by watching keynotes / Unpacked events, reading blogs, forums, YouTube Unboxings and real end user reviews and using the working demo models in the Highstreet shops.

It certainly would be a very stagnant sector if we all liked the same. :)

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It really boils down to personal preference.

I used iPhones for years and then bought the s7 edge.
I buy these from Samsung and not via Networks as I do not want their apps on my phone.

Personally I prefer to carry out my homework on what phone I'm getting next by watching keynotes / Unpacked events, reading blogs, forums, YouTube Unboxings and real end user reviews and using the working demo models in the Highstreet shops.

It certainly would be a very stagnant sector if we all liked the same. :)
You're right it is a hold of personal preference. I do love stock native Android QR Google, but there are definitely some parts of the operating system that I Google just half-assed unfortunately and I'm done this for years and I don't see them improving and anytime soon even with Android o in the future.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Big con for the S8 right now is how long it takes Samsung to push out updates, especially on the unlocked S7 which hasn't even gotten the nougat update yet. Honestly,it probably should have gotten it first sense there is no carrier bloat to add.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Big con for the S8 right now is how long it takes Samsung to push out updates, especially on the unlocked S7 which hasn't even gotten the nougat update yet. Honestly,it probably should have gotten it first sense there is no carrier bloat to add.
I mean the most I can say is I hope Samsung does a better job in the future but pushing at Android updates. I might get the Galaxy S8. Don't need the S8 plus it's too big for my hands and for what I need. I started​ to play with the Galaxy S8 in my local Verizon store yesterday afternoon and I liked it so far. That screen is gorgeous and always on display versus ambient display works wonders! I'll have to have more time to play with it and what not but so far so good.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I mean the most I can say is I hope Samsung does a better job in the future but pushing at Android updates. I might get the Galaxy S8. Don't need the S8 plus it's too big for my hands and for what I need. I started​ to play with the Galaxy S8 in my local Verizon store yesterday afternoon and I liked it so far. That screen is gorgeous and always on display versus ambient display works wonders! I'll have to have more time to play with it and what not but so far so good.

I hope so too, but their past/current track record with slow updates (especially with the unlocked phones - the only one I'd want) just makes me very wary of getting an S8.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I hope so too, but their past/current track record with slow updates (especially with the unlocked phones - the only one I'd want) just makes me very wary of getting an S8.
I agree with you. That's the only thing that I'm worried about the S8 for. I think I'm still going to probably buy one in the future or a look have liens one. I just love the customization that Samsung brings a table. I mean I know you can do that with a launcher icon packs, but I also got tired of going through so many icon packs due to being indecisive for myself and I gave up Nova Launcher on my 6p. I figured with the customization levels of Samsung TouchWiz maybe it'll be a little bit better for me. And yes that screen on the S8 is gorgeous plus the always on display excetera excetera excetera.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I played with an S8 at the store today and it is a really lovely piece of hardware. It's very tempting to get one when the unlocked version comes out but I'm just not sure. Still the Orchid grey looks phenomenal.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I played with an S8 at the store today and it is a really lovely piece of hardware. It's very tempting to get one when the unlocked version comes out but I'm just not sure. Still the Orchid grey looks phenomenal.
Oh I agree. The black S8 version looks awesome! Sexy as hell looks great feels good in the hands and you can easily one-handed and you don't lose screen real estate size against the Nexus 6p due to the bezel-less design.