App that will throttle mobile data (not stop it) after a threshold is met?

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
About to switch phone providers to one (att) that is a shared 10GB of data among all devices.. this as opposed to our old metropcs that was 6GB per device..

That said.. i at least plan on implementing "warning" notifications when say 4.5GB is used on each device (of the two)..

I thought of putting the hard limit in place on at least one device, but that has drawbacks..

It would be nice to have an app or ability to do your own throttling (which happens no matter what at 10GB) at a certain point like 4.5gb per device.

Is there an android app or hidden setting that you can use to throttle the connection after a certain point and that works well?

Thanks in advance

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there's an app for that, but I don't see how a throttling app would help, other than annoy the user. Your carrier is charging you for the data anyway, and throttling will probably not stop the user from loading a page or watching a video, it'll just make it slower.

You can probably use automation apps to set up alerts that are sent to all users or to a single 'administrator' (something like 'if limit X is reached, then text Y'). Popular apps for this are Tasker or IFTTT.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I don't think there's an app for that, but I don't see how a throttling app would help, other than annoy the user. Your carrier is charging you for the data anyway, and throttling will probably not stop the user from loading a page or watching a video, it'll just make it slower.

You can probably use automation apps to set up alerts that are sent to all users or to a single 'administrator' (something like 'if limit X is reached, then text Y'). Popular apps for this are Tasker or IFTTT.

Its mainly for me and my wife haha.. she works in a place with no wifi.. so she couldnt very accidentally during down time at her place (night shift) suck up gigs worth of data in no time flat.. i figured if i could set the limit on the download rate, it would be low enough to come after a warning only allow minimal internet functionality..

The risk here is that if i dont or she ignores the approaching limit message, she could very well accidentally tear into almost the entire months worth of bandwidth in a weeks time of working.

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Its mainly for me and my wife haha.. she works in a place with no wifi.. so she couldnt very accidentally during down time at her place (night shift) suck up gigs worth of data in no time flat.. i figured if i could set the limit on the download rate, it would be low enough to come after a warning only allow minimal internet functionality..

The risk here is that if i dont or she ignores the approaching limit message, she could very well accidentally tear into almost the entire months worth of bandwidth in a weeks time of working.

I think your biggest risk here is messing with the wife's data.... :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown