Virus/Malware installed through website?

BBcase8900

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I need some help with this issue.

I visited weartesters.com which is a site that I frequent from my desktop and phone, but today I got a pop saying that my cell phone had a virus on it. Keep in find that this was the first time ever that I received this kind of message while visiting the website.

I tried to back out of the website, but then a "download" status bar showed up on the webpage. Before it could finish, I managed to close the browser. I checked my apps and scanned my phone using Avast and Malware bytes, but found nothing. My phone hasn't been acting funny either. I did clear the cache from the Recovery screen.

Any advice or insight to this would be greatly appreciated.

Phone is a HTC M8 and I was using Google Chrome.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I need some help with this issue.

I visited weartesters.com which is a site that I frequent from my desktop and phone, but today I got a pop saying that my cell phone had a virus on it. Keep in find that this was the first time ever that I received this kind of message while visiting the website.

I tried to back out of the website, but then a "download" status bar showed up on the webpage. Before it could finish, I managed to close the browser. I checked my apps and scanned my phone using Avast and Malware bytes, but found nothing. My phone hasn't been acting funny either. I did clear the cache from the Recovery screen.

Any advice or insight to this would be greatly appreciated.

Phone is a HTC M8 and I was using Google Chrome.

There are ads that pop up saying you have a virus when in reality you don't. Clearing the cache won't do much, so you can check your downloads folder to see if you have anything fishy. If Avast or Malwarebytes didn't find anything, then you most likely do not have anything malicious on your phone.

BBcase8900

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the tip

I checked my downloads folder and didn't find anything.

Where do these pop-ups come from? When I go to the website through a computer, I do not get anything. Is it coming from an app?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the tip

I checked my downloads folder and didn't find anything.

Where do these pop-ups come from? When I go to the website through a computer, I do not get anything. Is it coming from an app?

Maybe. It's usually from the website itself. Do you have adblock on your computer?

And while we're discussing adblock, you could try to use firefox and add the adblock plug-in to see if it blocks the malicious ad.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800