Possible virus, don't know what to do?

Brad Knepp

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Okay, so last night I was being a cheapo trying to look for a free version of Iron man 3 cause I didn't have enough google credits in my account at the time. All of a sudden a little note I guess you could call it popped up saying there was a virus. It did a scan and asked me to download an app called "Android Antivirus." I didn't do it because it didn't seem right. So this morning I looked into a little more. Instead of clicking the link to the download I went to the google play store instead and searched the app. The reviews on it looked good so I gave it a try. I ran the app and it did a scan saying it found one malware or spyware called "photo editor." I also have the "Avast Mobile Security" app installed. Whenever I run it to do a virus scan it comes up with nothing. I'm kind of at a loss and don't know what to do please help. :(

Brad Knepp

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Ok thank you, currently trying to backup everything that needs backed up, then will reset everything.

Another thing, do the security apps like Avast even really work?

oneeyecarpenter

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi Brian,

Did you resolve your issue? I hope you did not lose any information with a reset. What you likely ran into was what is called scareware. And there was no malware on your phone. Some of the security apps in playstore are cheap copies and do not do a very good job. Avast is a safe bet,and if it found nothing,then the other app gave a false positive. I hope you are subscribed to this thread. If you want more info,then post here.

Posted via the Android Central App, HTC Evo 4g LTE ,on Sprint