Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Need a calendar app that does time zones properly

Hey, I travel internationally all the time and need a calendar app that can handle flights across time zones and that will help me schedule phone calls and issue reminders at the right time, etc. I've downloaded some free calendar apps but they don't come even close to what I need. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Need a calendar app that does time zones properly

There's only one Android calendar that will do what you want - Pimlical Advanced Calendar. I travel all the time too and needed an app that knows the ins and outs of timezones.and can do things like set the start/end times for a flight in different timezones and manage things that Google can not (such as handling repeat events that do the same thing). This is not a calendar for a novice - the functionality is amazing - and the preferences are mind-boggling at first until you realize you can custom this sucker to do exactly what you want. My favorite feature is floating events - that manage all the things I need to do, but are not necessarily fixed to a single day. If you used a Palm, this calendar is from the guy who wrote the DateBk calendar app that Handspring and Palm licensed (although the Rom version was just a light version of the app). There's a windows desktop version and you can synchronize stuff through google calendar or synchronize locally via USB or WiFi. The developer is really responsive and uses all the profits for wildlife conservation. It's on GooglePlay and Amazon Market. Just one piece of advice, take some time to learn the app - there's definitely a learning curve, but the payoff is getting your life under control...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Need a calendar app that does time zones properly

OMG! Thanks Duane, this calendar app is simply fantastic!! I have only started to scratch the surface on this app, but already it seems to be able to do everything I want. I emailed the developer about whether the app would handle Moscow time properly (due to the recent changes) and was amazed to find that he knew all about the recent issues with Daylight Savings there and he advised me of a new version that handled all those issues as well as a simple way to update the existing version. That means a lot to me as most of the time, I email developers and never hear back from them.

I'm also learning about floating events - it's one of those things that you don't know that you need until you know they exist and then it seems they quickly become indispensable. I'm surprised I haven't heard about this app given that it seems head and shoulders above anything else out there. I agree with you this is not for novices, but I'm not exactly a technophile and still didn't find it too hard to figure out. I'll be buying the desktop the app shortly as well as I really don't like syncing through the cloud (maybe I'm just a paranoid physician, but I don't like my private data "out there"). Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

HarryG