Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,162 Global Posts

Default Is it just me ...?

I'm no coder, and I went through the tutorials, but dammit, App Inventor makes my head hurt. Probably just me, though.

Yeah...I started something as well...but just stopped. Need a tutorial.

Edit: Just found these...http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/le...als/index.html

If you spend the time to go through the sample apps, they take you through a lot of the capabilities and explain a lot of the Block Editor. I've actually been working on an app for the company I work for, but there are a few things I'm having trouble with.

Try the samples though. The Block Editor is pretty logical, but you have to do a few to really get it.

practice makes perfect =P
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)

Exactly. I was able to construct a pretty functional calculator to compare the power savings between electric motors of different efficiencies. I was able to craft a pretty complex equation in the Block Editor and some nifty little interactions based on the inputted data. It only took a few hours of learning to get that far. It's not overly complicated, it's just different from what you're used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof-KOS View Post
    Exactly. I was able to construct a pretty functional calculator to compare the power savings between electric motors of different efficiencies. I was able to craft a pretty complex equation in the Block Editor and some nifty little interactions based on the inputted data. It only took a few hours of learning to get that far. It's not overly complicated, it's just different from what you're used to.
    ^^ this. Especially if you're familiar with any other (OO) programming logic. the block editor logic is really straightforward and ez to understand, but you have to think the right way.

I had to teach myself not to overthink it and then things started to go a bit smoother
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

I know HTML, the fundamentals of Java Script and C++.
    I've done some coding and scripting in Arma II as well.
    Is that enough to be able to get in and have a little fun with it?
    How complex of a program can you make with this, anyone have an idea yet?
    "Under the Willow, he sleeps and dreams, of Heaven."
    -- Faulken S. Wulf

Quote Originally Posted by Faulk_Wulf View Post
    you know too much
    Forget what you know of C++ and JS, this is more like old style VB -- it's all event driven programming, and all visual.

Here's an idea of what can be done so far -- it's the reference documentation
    Reference - App Inventor for Android
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Change too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Faulk_Wulf View Post
    I don't know any of those things (a little HTML) and I've gotten through the tutorial apps and just completed an app that lets me press a button and send a text to my wife. Next step is to see if I can have it scheduled. Of course I'm sure she'll figure something is up with my daily 'hi honey, love you' texts at the same time every day, especially if I'm sitting right next to her.
    Semper Fi; Go Bears; Go Gators

For me, App Inventor is just going to be my interface builder - I'm not so good at HTML markup and XML.

Right now, I'm coding an application that will sync a Job Database that I've already written a program for in C++ - All I'm really missing is the interface that it will use.

I think I'm being pretty intuitive and using Dropbox as my sync syndicate.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I recived my app inventor invite late last night and haven't even had chance to load it yet.
    Has anybody loaded it onto a PC already loaded with eclipses carbide3.4 sdk? as i would hate to end up with conflicts and loose all the work on carbide before i even start with Google app inventor.
    Samsung galaxy Nexus i9250 stock

It's browser-based, so no problems with conflicts. It's not without bugs, but it's still an early beta.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by nursescott View Post
    I don't know any of those things (a little HTML) and I've gotten through the tutorial apps and just completed an app that lets me press a button and send a text to my wife. Next step is to see if I can have it scheduled. Of course I'm sure she'll figure something is up with my daily 'hi honey, love you' texts at the same time every day, especially if I'm sitting right next to her.
    No worries, just add a randomize function. Make it so it goes anywhere between +15 or -15 minutes. So if the schedule is set for 8 AM, one day it'll go at 7:56, the next day it'll go at 8:13, etc.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Prof-KOS View Post
    It's browser-based, so no problems with conflicts. It's not without bugs, but it's still an early beta.
    Exelent thanks for the confirmation will have a bash @ the tut's tonight se how it goes

Any way to encourage an invitation?

Or got a invite to spare? (if it's possible to pass them on).

I would love an invite for this also if they are available.

Thanks

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by rumur View Post
    I would love an invite for this also if they are available.

Thanks
    You need to request one from Google then they wait a few months before desiding if there going to invite you.

@Desire D
    Its not realisticly feasable to pass an invite on as there tied to your Google account m8

ROM
    4.2 Stock

It's odd. I just got through with all the basic tutorials. I did each one twice from scratch so I can really get a good understanding of the blocks. One thing struck me as strange though, the grammar in the tutorials is really ****ing bad.
    "If you're going to kill the animal it seems only polite to use the whole thing." -Fergus Henderson

Quote Originally Posted by chefkeyser View Post
    It's odd. I just got through with all the basic tutorials. I did each one twice from scratch so I can really get a good understanding of the blocks. One thing struck me as strange though, the grammar in the tutorials is really ****ing bad.
    LOL. Ah well. I noticed that too.

I was pretty impressed with how the tutorials scaled themselves rather quickly. Really gave a me a good understanding pretty quickly.

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts
    ROM
    Redemption ROM

I know absolutely no code (though a bit of HTML), and I find it to be fairly easy. So I guess coming in with no background experience is a bit of a plus?

Anyways, talking to some of my dev friends on Twitter, they have a hard time with it. Anyways. Just going to keep playing with it.

Looking forward to my eventual invite. I'm a computer engineer and used to do web/UI development. But I haven't kept up on Java or a lot of the newer programming languages. I'm looking forward to seeing how App Inventor will work.... already have a few ideas for first run apps.

Having coded with vb6 in the past (never could get my head around .Net) I was able to dive right into AI... Love it!

So.. I know some really basic VB6 and HTML/Javascript. App Inventor kind of reminded me of using Visual Basic 6.0 at school, except it didn't crash with every little thing you do. Makes things quite a bit easier, I must say. And it has the Blocks instead of the coding.

So.. I don't know. It's easy enough to me - took some tutorial reading but that's all. But maybe it's a bit too easy. I wish I could just code some things and (most importantly) do copying and pasting.

To practice I made a simple program to check if a number was even or odd. Easy, worked fine, and is completely useless.

Then I made a simple application to keep track of my grades at school. It displays a list of each subject, with behind it the grades and at the end an Edit button. At the top there's a text box with a + button next to it (used for adding new grades - will try to add a list to choose the desired subject when + is checked), that 'transforms' into the edit menu when an Edit button is pressed. All grades are stored in a database. Here is what it looks like in the block editor.

Simple enough. My main gripe (so far) is the following.

As you can see in the image each subject requires quite a few blocks to get the editing, storing and all that to work. As far as I can see there is no option to duplicate Blocks, meaning I have to spend quite some time on each subject, typing out or placing every individual block for block.

Had this been code, it would've been copy, paste, edit a few things, repeat a few times, app done.

It's easy, but I'd rather have it be like Visual Basic where you have the visual and the coding part. No idea if the actual SDK works like that. I'll check it out sometime.

With that said I think App Inventor is great, for a beta - I'm sure it'll get much better.

EDIT: Also that fairly simple grades app is 3,55 MB. That's...quite a bit.

EDIT2: Can't add in the subject list because I ran out of vertical space and you can only expand it horizontally. BLUHHHH.

You CAN copy/paste sets of blocks, with CTRL-C and CTRL-V. There's no menu option for it, but the keyboard shortcut works fine. I've used this for replicating an action, but the catch is that you do have to manually replace the variables that change. So if you have Total1, Total2, and Total3, you can't just change the 1 to 2, you have to take out the Total1 block and replace it with a Total2 block. It's a pain, but you can use copy/paste to save SOME time because you can have all the math blocks in their places already.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast