Any Android marine chart apps?

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I'd really like to find something that lets me use my phone as a marine GPS unit, e.g. a marine chart overlay to Google Maps, if not a standalone app.

Anyone find something like this? Someone's gotta be making one... it's too smart and easy!

greggerm

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Navionics response...

Hi Greg,

We are in fact exploring this. We hope to have additional compatibility
in 2010. I do not have a date to offer you though. Please join our
mailing list on our site to be included in eblasts about apps, updates
and new compatibility.

Best regards,
Navionics Mobile Team

Might I recommend sending a inquiry to the company yourself in the hopes that the more people who show an interest, the more likely we are to get an Android version?

They are at mobile (at) navionics (dot) c0m [I don't want forum scrapers to get their email and spam them to oblivion]

sfef84

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Navionics has an app in the Market... I don't know if it will work on my EVO 4g though (not listed in compatible phones)

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd really like to find something that lets me use my phone as a marine GPS unit, e.g. a marine chart overlay to Google Maps, if not a standalone app.

Anyone find something like this? Someone's gotta be making one... it's too smart and easy!

I have been using maverick as a gps for hunting and fishing, lets you mark waypoints like hunting stands or fishing spots on maps just like a handheld GPS. It has a few different maps that lets you zoom in and save them for offline/no signal use.

They have a satellite view among others, I sent in a email to the dev to see if they can get a marine map to switch too.

I have been using the mapnik view in the waterways but it does not list nautical charts.

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I downloaded the Navionics app with the eastcoast map download. It works great, very high quality and detail. The only problem I have is, I see no way to turn it off after you open the program. And it is a massive battery killer.

Navionics website has a way to bring up mapping errors to them, but I can't see a way to ask for assistance with their software.

Anyone have any ideas?

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Being as this program is such a battery hog, Navionics themselves say batt. will probably only last 2 hours, there should be a way in the program to turn it off.

If you just go back to your home screen it is still running and actively tracking you.

I dont want to have to use a task killer, heard too many issues with them.

chrisb3

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Being as this program is such a battery hog, Navionics themselves say batt. will probably only last 2 hours, there should be a way in the program to turn it off.

If you just go back to your home screen it is still running and actively tracking you.

There should be, but until that happens, Advanced Task Manager doesn't actually kill anything automatically. You'll be manually killing the app. (and while you're killing it, select ATM to get stopped too so it doesn't keep running).

RockHead#AC

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Works just fine on my Vibrant, ran on my G1 with CM5 and CM6. Basically you need Android 2.1 or better, IIRC.

Just exit out of it and turn off GPS when you're done.

Was comparing the Android version to iOS version on Tueday in Naragansett Bay. Not much different.

Stakeouttoo

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

to Menu... Settings..Applications..Manage Applications..pick the application you want to stop.. click on it.. then FORCE Stop

jbpichette

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello

I installed the Navionics apps on my Samsung SGH-S730M ( aka Discover ) phone. Work fine.

But... all the charts automatically installed on \mnt\SDcard ( 2,7 Gb internal memory ) not on \mnt\extSDcard ( enternal 32 Gb SD card ).

I want to move the charts to my "real" SD card . I exchanged some email with the Navionics help desk but they do not understand :-/

Any clue how to do it ? I do not want to screw-up the apps.

Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non