Facebook Push Notifications - SOLVED!!!

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
unbelievably.....THIS WORKS!!!! it is now working on my X and my wife's D1. she's thrilled. I used a girl i work with's BB and logged into both my wife and my fb account...let them load up...then logged out. i checked my privacy settings online and the FB for Blackberry app was granted access to our accounts. from that point on both my wife and I have been receiving instant notifications on our phones. and i mean instant. we tested sending inbox messages to one another and literally within 1 or 2 seconds of sending a message...the other persons phone would receive the notification!!

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Actually, it does give notifications for wall posts, comments, and even pokes. What it doesn't do is likes but it does notify within the app (you just don't get it sent to you) and the pokes are notified but you can't poke someone back in the app.

It also doesn't refresh the notifications feed properly. If it's a new person joining it'll refresh and show it but if it's a two person "conversation" that's happening, it won't.

So yeah even though notifications work, the app isn't "there" yet.

I stand corrected :) I have only ever gotten notified in the notification bar for messages, friend requests and event invites. I have never been notified in the bar about comments or wall posts etc. I do however see all "notifications" for everything by going into the app and selecting notifications but that's work and I may as well go to the website at that point. :p
I guess what I was trying clarify/point out was the difference between a push notifications, waiting 30 min for the app to notify, notifications inside the app and manufacturer UI FB integrations so that people stop claiming the app works fine when really it's just they came from a BB or they are just opening the app and seeing all their notifications in there. :)

All I know is that this BB work around is the find of the year and by finding a friend with a BB or downloading the BB Simulator you will start receiving push notifications. :)

Here is a list I've started showing all the devices people have got it working on.. I'm sure this list should have every device available on it ;)

HTC EVO 3D

Motorola XPRT

HTC Droid Incredible 2
stock 2.3.3

OG Droid
CM7

HTC Thunderbolt

Samsung Epic

Samsung Galaxy SII

HTC Droid Incredible
Stock 2.2
OMGM
CM7

Motorola Droid X
CM7

jamestbrewer

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Holy crapple it worked!

I came from a blackberry but almost never got notifications. I took the blackberry app out of my facebook settings about 6 months ago. I added it back using the blackberry simulator and now I get notifications again! Don't know about chat yet, but wall posts and messages come through

JoshuaExline

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Fired up my Blackberry 9700 last night on wi-fi to try this. After updating the BB Facebook app had no problem logging in and going from there.

Just remembered to check permissions on FB and, sure enough, Blackberry permissions are there.

And I'm STILL not getting push notifications on my phone.

HTC Inspire. Stock 2.3.3

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Fired up my Blackberry 9700 last night on wi-fi to try this. After updating the BB Facebook app had no problem logging in and going from there.

Just remembered to check permissions on FB and, sure enough, Blackberry permissions are there.

And I'm STILL not getting push notifications on my phone.

HTC Inspire. Stock 2.3.3

I don't know if it was me changing anything or if it just took a bit for it to kick in but I cleared the FB app data, made sure BB for FB was checked under FB Account Settings>Notifications as well as made sure all the other settings were set right (you said you did this so you can skip or double check) then see if you start getting them. it should start working for you! good luck!

neophile

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
as a former BB user I had my fb setting set for BB, never got notifications from my captivate, but my SGS2 works great. after reading this post, I checked my settings, then turned my update interval to never, did a test msg, came thru within 2 seconds of sending.....looks like this post is bang on.....at least if you're using gingerbread...

MikeBannion

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Does it give wall post notifications?

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk.

It is what I wrote the app for: I needed notifications as on the website page, couldn't find any lightweight app to do it (when FriendCaster was just called Flow it did something like that, but then it grew to becoming a full-fledged replacement for the FB app, not what I wanted) and so made one myself.

To be brutally honest it sometimes seems to miss a few notifications once in a while, but it apparently is a FB API bug: in fact other apps which handle notifications (for instance, the Chrome extension I use) also don't get the same notifications, which means something's definitely wrong on the FB side. I've opened a bug on their developers forum and hope to have it tackled soon.

User One

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
It is what I wrote the app for: I needed notifications as on the website page, couldn't find any lightweight app to do it (when FriendCaster was just called Flow it did something like that, but then it grew to becoming a full-fledged replacement for the FB app, not what I wanted) and so made one myself.

To be brutally honest it sometimes seems to miss a few notifications once in a while, but it apparently is a FB API bug: in fact other apps which handle notifications (for instance, the Chrome extension I use) also don't get the same notifications, which means something's definitely wrong on the FB side. I've opened a bug on their developers forum and hope to have it tackled soon.

Thanks for being honest....I still might give it a try...

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk.

MikeBannion

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
That app is all well & good but you don't need to hunt for a BlackBerry. It's already been covered in the thread.

I'm sorry, I chimed in the conversation after many pages and missed some posts... however, the BB simulator solution wouldn't work for me, since as far as I know it's Windows only and I'm a Linux user (although it may work on Wine, who knows).

It would be interesting to know what the app id of the Blackberry app is, and check which are the permissions it requests: this way one could also try to manually install the app through Facebook's oauth authentication, without needing any BB or BB simulator (but it's just a guess and a long shot, probably).

JoshuaExline

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it was me changing anything or if it just took a bit for it to kick in but I cleared the FB app data, made sure BB for FB was checked under FB Account Settings>Notifications as well as made sure all the other settings were set right (you said you did this so you can skip or double check) then see if you start getting them. it should start working for you! good luck!
This worked....had to completely log out of the FB app on my Inspire, once I was logged out and everything cleared itself out, all I did was log back in...let the phone resync itself with my FB stuff (which is a minor aggravation but the means justify the ends) and at some point after that (don't remember exactly how long it took) the notifications (wall posts, comments, etc) started showing up.

So whoever is keeping a list of phones this works with you can def add the Inspire 4G to the list (just so long as you - the user - remember to log out of your on device app to clear it out then log back in at least)

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry, I chimed in the conversation after many pages and missed some posts... however, the BB simulator solution wouldn't work for me, since as far as I know it's Windows only and I'm a Linux user (although it may work on Wine, who knows).

It would be interesting to know what the app id of the Blackberry app is, and check which are the permissions it requests: this way one could also try to manually install the app through Facebook's oauth authentication, without needing any BB or BB simulator (but it's just a guess and a long shot, probably).

I figured the sim would work on non-Windows boxes to but admittedly I don't recall seeing an OS selection when I downloaded it.

MikeBannion

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I figured the sim would work on non-Windows boxes to but admittedly I don't recall seeing an OS selection when I downloaded it.

Until some time ago it definitely was Windows only, I know since I've been marginally involved in BlackBerry development as well.

Just for the sake of completeness, I've tried the attempt I mentioned. I used the oauth mechanism to install the BlackBarry app at least from the Facebook point of view: now I have it in the list of applications I authorized, and from the amount of permissions it lists I think it's the right one, which means it's just as if I actually had it installed. No change in my FB app though, no new option in the settings, even by clearing the data: maybe it's not just a matter of app permissions, something needs to be enabled from the BB app itself, who knows.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Until some time ago it definitely was Windows only, I know since I've been marginally involved in BlackBerry development as well.

Just for the sake of completeness, I've tried the attempt I mentioned. I used the oauth mechanism to install the BlackBarry app at least from the Facebook point of view: now I have it in the list of applications I authorized, and from the amount of permissions it lists I think it's the right one, which means it's just as if I actually had it installed. No change in my FB app though, no new option in the settings, even by clearing the data: maybe it's not just a matter of app permissions, something needs to be enabled from the BB app itself, who knows.

no setting in app needs to be changed other than turning on notifications, but then again I have mine set to "never" for a refresh time and I still get them.. but I do have all the check boxes checked.. I guess you said a "clear data" has been tried.. I'd just check all your notification prefs on the FB site again.. for some reason it seemed to me that after adding the FB for BB app it turned a bunch of them off.. this could have been something I did some other way but it's worth checking.

if this doesn't work you're bound to have a friend out there with Windows :p

MikeBannion

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
no setting in app needs to be changed other than turning on notifications, but then again I have mine set to "never" for a refresh time and I still get them.. but I do have all the check boxes checked.. I guess you said a "clear data" has been tried.. I'd just check all your notification prefs on the FB site again.. for some reason it seemed to me that after adding the FB for BB app it turned a bunch of them off.. this could have been something I did some other way but it's worth checking.

if this doesn't work you're bound to have a friend out there with Windows :p

I have all e-mail based notifications disabled on Facebook, since I don't want it to spam me: if that's what the BB notifications are based upon then I guess it's never going to work for me. Or are you talking about a different section on the website?

No need to get a Windows machine though: I'm the guy who spammed about his own Android notifications app, after all, so I'm fine already ;)

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

There's a setting the Blackberry app (at least in the simulator) to turn on notifications. It's disabled by default, and I had to enable it to get push notifications to work.

If it helps, here's the complete list of permissions requested by the app, according to Facebook:
6gexc0.png

I have all e-mail based notifications disabled on Facebook, since I don't want it to spam me: if that's what the BB notifications are based upon then I guess it's never going to work for me.
You definitely do not need any of your email notifications enabled for push notification to work. That's the whole point of push notifications, I think--so that we can receive notifications on the phone, without having to get them in our emails. I've disabled all of mine, and push notifications are working just fine.

In the Facebook for Blackberry app, there's even a link to let you turn off all Facebook email notifications:
2i7w5k.jpg

Reactions: Lemming_uk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy