1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Good back up app for unrooted phone?

Im new to the android phones. I previously had an iPhone until I decided to go swimming with it. I guess things happen for a reason because I LOVE my android phone, what a difference. Anyways, more to the point. Since I'm new to the droid phones, I was wondering what a good app (pay or free) to use to back up all my apps, pics, music, contacts etc on my PC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

The two big ones are Titanium Backup and MyBackup. I prefer MyBackup Pro

Sent from my Transformer
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Good back up app for unrooted phone?

Quote Originally Posted by crzycrkr View Post
    The two big ones are Titanium Backup and MyBackup. I prefer MyBackup Pro

Sent from my Transformer
    I would have to "root" my phone to use Titanium Backup, correct?

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

Quote Originally Posted by no_pulse View Post
    I would have to "root" my phone to use Titanium Backup, correct?
    I'm sorry, i misread your title. I thought you said rooted

Sent from my Transformer

Global Posts
    6,763 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Your only option is to backup apps on Google's servers by going to menu > settings > privacy > backup to Google's servers. This will hopefully restore your apps if you ever do a factory reset on the phone.

Contacts, email, etc. can be sync'ed to Google and text messages can be backed-up with third party apps in the market. There are many free ones and work great if you have important messages to keep. Keep in mind that all won't backup MMS, but there's separate apps for that.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

MyBackup Pro works just fine on non-rooted phones.

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Your only option is to backup apps on Google's servers by going to menu > settings > privacy > backup to Google's servers. This will hopefully restore your apps if you ever do a factory reset on the phone.
    this did not work for me when i tested it. after i re-synced with Google - all of my Contacts, Calendar, Gmail showed up on my phone BUT all of my Market Apps did not. i had to go to Market on my PC and manually click install for each App in order to get them back on my phone - luckily they are saved in the Market list. i could have used "MyBackupPro" but i wanted Google/Market/my Phone to "know" that the apps were "installed" via Market. when you restore Apps via MyBackupPro the Apps are essentially "sideloaded" which doesn't leave a record list of them on Market. i want the record/list for this very reason - in case i have to reinstall them i have a list on the PC side (Market). i wanted to make sure the list remained and did not disappear over time due to sideloading.

AppBrain was somewhat useless. it immediately syncs to the wiped phone and you lose all of your saved Apps in your AppBrain list.

i still like MyBackupPro for emergency backups of all data. AppBrain is still good too to keep a list of Apps. but they both have limitations if your phone gets wiped or you need to wipe it - and then bring it back again.