Marking GPS points
Using Droid Incredible
I work for a drilling company and we have equipment spread out over 100sq miles that moves quite a bit. Problem is there is a lot of stuff to keep track of and I was hoping android could help me out with that. I'm looking for an app that will allow me to mark points on a map in google maps and allow me to label them and save them for later. Also need to be able to able to send the point via sms so others can view on google maps.
As far as I understand it you can do it with the stock maps app. You just pull it up, tap the bubble that says "My Location", star it, and then you can choose share and share it via SMS which I assume makes it able to be viewed via Google maps. There's also an app on the market called map editor or something of the sort which allows you to make your own maps that people can view with maps on the computer but I'm not sure what it's called exactly, someone else will have to help out there.
What you're looking for is My Maps Editor by Google and the My Maps feature of Google Maps, and here's how you can use it:
1. Download the editor app to your phone, then go to Google Maps in a browser. Sign in, click on My Maps and create a new map. You can make it public, so that anyone can view it, or private, and you can share it by inviting others (coworkers for example, or whoever you want to). Name it, add comments if you want, create more than one map if you need to.
2. Now you can go to wherever the drilling equipment is and open up My Maps Editor. Select the map you created, and wait for it load. The feature you are looking for is "Mark my location" (menu -> add -> mark my... , or the big plus sign button -> mark my...). The GPS will zone in on you, and a marker will be added to the map. When you are satisfied with the accuracy of your GPS lock, press OK to accept the marker.
3. The editor will prompt you to tap on a word bubble to edit the marker. Do so, then click edit, and voilá! You can name the marker, add comments to it or even snap a photo to go along. The exact date and time is already handily noted for you, leave it in the comments if you like. As soon as you press save it is synced to the map, and is available for others to see, who are invited or know about your map.
4. Profit! You found another way Android is handy for you! :D
5. If you like to mark location info on My Maps you should hit up the My Tracks app also by Google. It can record your journeys by GPS, create and show statistic like speed, elevation and tons more, and upload your tracks to a map on My Maps, and your statistics to Google Docs. Maybe you'll find some use for this too, check it out!
6. I just realized you might not actually go to the point you want to mark. In that case, here's alternative #2: instead of mark my location, find the place you want to mark in My Maps Editor, then select add a marker from the menu. A marker will appear, drag it where you want it to be then click OK to place it. Resume original guide from #3. :)
Re: Marking GPS points
I was also facing the same problem. Previously i was using gooogle map in nokia e52. There i was used to mark pont and i was able to rename the points, was able to share the points to friends.
If there any development in android to do so, please let me too know