True Adding Machine app request

TowerGuy100

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I would love an app that mimics a real desk adding machine. This doesn't just mean it has a tape display.

A real adding machine uses the plus and minus keys to indicate if an entry is positive or negative. For example, to total 100 and 150 and -75, I should enter the following:

100 +
150 +
75 -
Then the * key to get an answer of 175.

The difference between this and a calculator is that you are actually adding every number you enter, but some may be negative numbers.

This may seem odd if you don't use an adding machine regularly, but if you do, you know how you get used to this way of adding.

The other thing would be to have entries such as 1234 get converted on the fly to 12.34 as the + or - key are hit.

Would I be the only one interested in such an app?

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
You might want to try an RPN calculator. For simple calculations like you showed, the order of keystrokes is pretty similar:

enter
+
-

tof

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I've just build an app which might fullfill your request, it's the
taobits Office Calculator.

It has a virtual tape and displays your calculation as expected.
Unfortunately it doesn't yet support input without entering a decimal point.
In fact I had implemented it this way, but than I thought, it would be too confusing for most users.
But I'm already working on a version which will allow switching input mode between "manual decimal point" and "auto decimal point".

Last edited:

paul_aka_paul

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
tof - I just tried your calculator. My biggest knock right now is the size of the buttons. I LOVE the virtual tape. Since you already have the option of displaying the tape without the buttons, maybe you can squeeze down the display during the data entry portion.

Also, its doesn't quite work like an adding machine. Using the OP's example of:
100 +
150 +
75 -
Then the * key to get an answer of 175.
your app would show:
100 +
150 +
75 -
0+
after pressing the = key.

It isn't major, but if you are trying to match the adding machine it is small hiccup. And as far the auto decimal feature - I always turn that off, but I know plenty of people love it so good call on adding that in the future.

Paul D. Accountant

tof

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Paul, thank you for trying out my calculator and thank you for your feedback.
Which device are you using, so that I can optimize the screen layout.
I try to support 480x800, 320x480 and 240x320 (whicht gets quit small).
tof

tof

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi Paul, finally I've completed a new version of my Office Calculator with bigger keys due to a redesigned keyboard layout, bigger display with auto downscaling for large number and a auto decimal point mode.
Sorry that it took some time, but when I started working on the calculator I even had no physical device, so I couldn't see how small it looks on a real device.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I haven't been able to find one for Windows, so I shouldn't expect to find one for Android.

There are at least two rpn calcs for Android. I'm using Real Calc, which has both RPN and regular modes. As for Windows,

rpn calculator windows - Google Search

If anyone's interested I've got one that was Shareware, but the developer is long since gone, so I don't feel guilty about sharing it.

winni2001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Just found your post while googleing "Android Adding Machine".
Ich just created an app "Adding Machine". Can be found in Android Market.
Yours
winni2001

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance