Group chat multi- platform app

bigpetefox

A delicious bass...
Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
My apologies if this has been beaten to death, but I'm looking for a good group chat app that I can get my co- workers on. Android users beat Blackberry users 2:1, but being usable on a Blackberry is a plus!

I'm typing this from my Incredible, I'd search if I had my laptop with me.

Thanks! :)

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

dnlgee

May 13, 2010
twitter.com
Just seen on Crackberry that there's a app just been released in beta that allows cross-platform messaging, however I don't know if it allows group chats.

The app is named 'cnected'

- Dan

jayhawkfan18

A Dude
May 14, 2010
Visit site
I was also hoping for an IM app like this. One with group chat that can be used on Android, BlackBerry, iPhone and Windows Mobile...

Just makes way tooooo much sense! :p

bigpetefox

A delicious bass...
Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Awesome, I'm gonna check out that app on crackberry. Thanks!

I thought of using Gtalk, but yes there's no group chat. Although it's for me and my co- workers, it's mainly for slacking off in between the usual iPhone questions. :-D

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

bigpetefox

A delicious bass...
Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Rockin' cnectd right now, got a few of my co-workers in a group chat. Just a couple things I've noticed:

1. You can't sign out. I tend to not have things running that don't have to be, so I shut it down with Task Manager. Once I get the extended battery, maybe I'll let it run all day.

2. You can't invite contacts to your group chat, they have to put in the name of the room to add themselves. This sucks, if someone I didn't want in wants to join the chat, they just need the name of my room. Security, people!!

3. You can't send a text message invite, it's all email. What if I don't want people to have my personal email?

There's a couple more, other than that it's a pretty cool app. I may make a family group for my relatives who still own blackberries, and another for friends I tend to drink alot with.. :D

aug0211#WN

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Been looking for something for a while... for Android, BB, and iPhone.

Google Talk WOULD be great, but the connectivity issues are a pain. My contacts and I are always showing up offline randomly... message are failing a lot... it's so annoying.

I tried cnectd, but it was SO damn slow to send a message and there were many failed messages... we dropped that in 30 minutes.

Any other bright ideas??

jayhawkfan18

A Dude
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Been looking for something for a while... for Android, BB, and iPhone.

Google Talk WOULD be great, but the connectivity issues are a pain. My contacts and I are always showing up offline randomly... message are failing a lot... it's so annoying.

I tried cnectd, but it was SO damn slow to send a message and there were many failed messages... we dropped that in 30 minutes.

Any other bright ideas??

That's all that I know of. Hopefully a reliable solution will surface very soon... ;)

aug0211#WN

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Any new leads in this area? Still looking for something better than gTalk... I hate to say it, but I think my standards are beginning to drop.... gTalk bothers me less and less daily, although I don't believe it's gotten any better... I think I'm just getting used to the sub-par performance/feature set, and starting to accept it more and more...

Someone PLEASE make something good...

If only BeejiveIM would be released for Android... my problems would be over...

jayhawkfan18

A Dude
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Any new leads in this area? Still looking for something better than gTalk... I hate to say it, but I think my standards are beginning to drop.... gTalk bothers me less and less daily, although I don't believe it's gotten any better... I think I'm just getting used to the sub-par performance/feature set, and starting to accept it more and more...

Someone PLEASE make something good...

If only BeejiveIM would be released for Android... my problems would be over...

Agreed!

Palringo is another option. It supports group chat and can be used on a PC, Android, iPhone and BlackBerry... It's kinda buggy on Android but something else to try at least. & it's FREE...

younger46

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
does cnectd really have that bad of slow connections? does it have so you know when messages were delievered and recieved as well as smiley faces? Im looking for something that will give me something close to bbm! Thanks!!

bigpetefox

A delicious bass...
Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Sad to say, I didn't like this app. (cnectd, that is..)

1. My friends couldn't join my group, even after I approved them
2. I can't send group invites, not that they'd get in(see number 1)
3. Any messages I get never alerted me, so I'd see 10 messages that came hours ago, of course they wouldn't get my replies for an hour after either..

So, until someone makes a solid group chat I'm not on any. We use Google Talk every now and then, but you can't even save the room to go to later.

broli

May 29, 2010
Visit site
the best options is to use meebo

meebo is a webapp multi protocol messaging client.

from any pc with a browser you can login into meebo, and chat with people on talk, on aim, on msn, ect ect.

it also has a "meebo" network, where you can chat with other meebo users. in all of the protocols you can create conferences (chat with multiple contacts), and in meebo you can create chatrooms

offcourse, there is an app in the market for it

mryanaz

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Take a look at Smashtalk (It will change the way you communicate) The answer to group chat via text messaging exists. All that is needed is for the handset vendors to embrace the solution. Both smartphones and feature phones are able to be supported by Smashtalk. Call or write you handset vendor. Demand that they provide all the capabilities that text messaging was always intended to offer.

Hawkzeye

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
On my HTC Desire I have cnectd, pingchat and whatsapp installed as finding one that suits all my clients and friends was proving near impossible. At the moment pingchat just wings it from whatsapp for reliability. Am afraid finding or indeed getting anyone to use cnectd is proving difficult so its still on the fence.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Add my name to the list of people that need something in this area. I need something with group chat capabilities, PC availability, and a history archive. GTalk has all of those features (in the Labs version), but the all the users included in the group chat have to be logged in at the same time. I'd need something that is available even when a user is unavailable.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I know this is a very old thread but I just wanted to say that my friends and I have been using Beluga and it is awesome for group chat! It has an iPhone and Android app, but anyone can join the group either by text messaging or by using the web. Beluga: Free, Private Group Mobile Messaging check it out!

(and I am in no way affiliated with this app - actually it's owned by FaceBook now)
Dude! Funny you posted this. I was just working on this again this week. I have tried yahoo, windows live, gtalk, skype, etc.. All have some of the features, but none have all the features I need. I'll try beluga.

ETA:

By the way, you guys might try Skype. I haven't really put it through the paces too much, but it looks promising. The only negative that I see is that it keeps an icon in the notification tray, which is annoying. But, it does group IM well and allows you to create groups for quick messages. I just wish Google would get its act together and fix up GTalk. We use Google apps in our business and it would mean we could just use our current accounts instead of creating more accounts somewhere else.

Last edited: