I need a good free app that will remember my passwords for me.

hanly2

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I want to be able to put the thing the password is for and then the password. With having to have so many passwords and different site requirements. It is getting almost impossible for me to remember them all. So I need a good app that is free and does not keep or store my information anywhere but on my phone. If I lose the passwords I could just reset them all. I just don't want my data available for others to steal.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
KeePassDroid is a free, simple app that I've been using for a while. Even has a free desktop version if you need it.

Sent from my Nexus S

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: I need a good free app that will remember my passwords for me

i use a password protected MS Word File with Strong Encryption and Documents To Go. the beauty is you can open this file on any device in the world with MS Word or Docs To Go. Docs To Go supports Office 2007+ Super Strong 128 Bit Encryption/Password.

i like the free-flow format and the open standard of an MS Word File. i don't like relying on some mom and pop locked black box proprietary closed format. and MS Word and Docs To Go is free if you already have it.

i then use Dropbox and simply dump this Word file in my Dropbox so it is available to me from any device anywhere in the world and it is always updated and in sync.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...assword-keeper-any-good-ones.html#post1402666

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
+1 for KeePassDroid. You can have the database added to Dropbox and sync it with multiple devices. I access the same password file on my laptop (PC), phone (SGS), and gTablet. When viewing an entry, there will be a username and password icons in the notification bar so you can copy/paste them into apps and websites.

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk.

SnyperX

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site

Lastpass is also fantastic. It is free for the desktop and online use, and I use it religiously. It's 12 bucks a year for a couple extra premium features and a mobile app/plugin for some mobile browsers. I have not tried any others like KeePass, because lastpass has kept me hooked. But I have heard wonderful things about that one as well.

hanly2

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

Ok so I downloaded the keepass app but doesnt really do me any good. If I am sitting at a pc and I want to log into my bank account and I look on the app at my bank account it will have my username and then the password in ***** format. So I can't read it and type it into the pc that I am at? What good is that?

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

Ok so I downloaded the keepass app but doesnt really do me any good. If I am sitting at a pc and I want to log into my bank account and I look on the app at my bank account it will have my username and then the password in ***** format. So I can't read it and type it into the pc that I am at? What good is that?

In the Android app, you can choose to show passwords, so you see the password instead of ****. However, like others have said, if you have your KeePass database file in your Dropbox account, you can use the Windows KeePass application to access your data.

GJMX

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

Give Key Safe a try. A simple password protected app for your passwords and it is free.

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

Beware of password applications that ask for suspicious permissions (writing to SD, internet access, etc).

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

Beware of password applications that ask for suspicious permissions (writing to SD, internet access, etc).

Why is writing to the SD card suspicious? KeePass can be moved to the SD card, can read / write data to the KeePass database files on the SD card. Why is that suspicious?

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

Why is writing to the SD card suspicious? KeePass can be moved to the SD card, can read / write data to the KeePass database files on the SD card. Why is that suspicious?

Because another cooperative app can read from the SD and send over the internet. For example a naive looking app like this one https://market.android.com/details?id=com.incredibleapp.wallpapershd

(this is just a random example, Wallpapers HD looks like a great app).

Edit: it seems that reading SD card does not require any permission (e.g. this app has no permissions and still reads the SD card https://market.android.com/details?id=com.graphilos.apkinst) so having just internet permission in the second app will allow to export the passwords from the SD.

Last edited:

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site

I don't think there is anything to worry about KeePass with writing to the SD card. The file is encrypted using the password you provide. It needs to save the file somewhere. :)

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

I don't think there is anything to worry about KeePass with writing to the SD card. The file is encrypted using the password you provide. It needs to save the file somewhere. :)

Well, Android does provide a more private storage for the apps ;-)

Data Storage | Android Developers

For sensitive apps like passwords and keyboards, less permissions is better.

Anyway, I am not signaling out KeePass, just pointing sensitive points users may want to know about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol