Llama - Who's Using It and Any Good Examples?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
There are a couple of things I want, but have not been able to figure out how to ask Llama to do it. I am hoping someone here can help.

Not allow phone call from {contact} if I am at {location}
A related one - always allow call from {contact} if anywhere except {location}

There should be a wiki of just the recipes somewhere.

I want this too. Tasker can do that but thanks to help on these forums I am sticking with llama.

I haven't figured it out yet because I think it needs and if than type of function.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same issue. Solved it by checking the "Allow retrigger" on the "OR" condition that turned screen rotation off. Not sure why - Llama possibly saw that one of the conditions was met and didn't finish the entire statement, so it never reached the action that turned the screen rotation off. But after a few restarts it seems to working just fine.

Hi:

I solved a similar issue by queueing an a event that turn off the rotation when the original conditions no longer met.

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I want this too. Tasker can do that but thanks to help on these forums I am sticking with llama.

I haven't figured it out yet because I think it needs and if than type of function.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Hi :

what do you mean by not allowing a call, to block it or that the ring tone doesn't sound?

newbieandroiduser

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Great discussion everyone. I just got a smart phone 2 weeks ago and just downloaded Llama this weekend. My main concern is battery usage.

1.) I have 4g on all the time except when I launch the programs that show the highest data usage (facebook, maps, gmail, google play, youtube, etc) - then it switches to wifi. When they close it goes back to 4g. That seemed to help me.

2.) When it is plugged in (usually at night), it turns on wifi, changes the brightness, extends screen timeout, and enables account sync.

Here's something maybe someone can help me out with. I work in a 9 story building and my office is in the basement (reception can be between 0-2 bars). I actually spend most of my day on floors 5-9 where the reception is just fine, but those 2 or so hours downstairs can run my battery down. There is wifi throughout the building with the same network ID so I can't use that to specify location. I'm trying to train using cell phone towers, but I wouldn't expect there to be a difference between the basement and the upper floors. I want Llama to recognize when I'm in the basement and am not an active user and turn airplane mode on for 5 minutes and then off for one minute to check for voicemail/text messages. Otherwise, when I am an active user, I want to the phone to be normal.

Most of Llama is set up for differentiating horizontal locations, I'm trying to distinguish vertical locations. If I can figure it out I'll post it, but I'd love to hear ideas.

Any thoughts?

ChuckeeDroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi:
First of all, Llama can't identify your car. You could "identify" it if you always connect it to a dock or something. And what do you mean by connecting in the car, to what?

Actually you can if you're connecting to Bluetooth. Many cars have Bluetooth built in. Bluetooth devices have a unique "signature" tells your phone that you're connected in your car.
If the paired profile exists on the phone, you can set llama to use this as a condition.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

kingjavs

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same issue. Solved it by checking the "Allow retrigger" on the "OR" condition that turned screen rotation off. Not sure why - Llama possibly saw that one of the conditions was met and didn't finish the entire statement, so it never reached the action that turned the screen rotation off. But after a few restarts it seems to working just fine.

Could you post a screen shot of what your settings look like, I stil cant make it work I am not sure why.
Or a more detailed explanation.

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi:

One question, do you always spend the same hours in your office?
If yes, you could setup llama to turn airplane on on those hours.

Now, personally, I think that keepeing your data/wifi on all the time will drain your battery anyway at what you could save by been in your office will be meanless compared to that.

What I do to save battery and still be connected, is to define a schedule for sincronizing to the network. Every 15 min normally for 1 minute, or every 5 min for 30 seconds in a peak schedule, in week days, and every 1 hour for 2 min, and 15 min for one minute, respectively in weekends. And according to location it will use wifi or data. Also, if i'm in a location with wifi the wifi will turn on when screen is unlocked.

I hope this help you because i don't think you could identify vertical location, if it's not by wifi or bluetooh polling.

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Actually you can if you're connecting to Bluetooth. Many cars have Bluetooth built in. Bluetooth devices have a unique "signature" tells your phone that you're connected in your car.
If the paired profile exists on the phone, you can set llama to use this as a condition.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Hi:
Sorry if i didn't explain myself very well, but that's what i meant.
Thanks

newbieandroiduser

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey kurokirasama, thanks for taking a stab at my problem. The amount of hours and times I'm in my office varies unfortunately, but I found out Llama can indeed handle my situation. I'm in a hospital with several different Wifi networks (A, B, C, D...) that run throughout the building but each router has a different MAC address. You can have Llama add a MAC address instead of the SSID and it can differentiate between locations even when the SSID is throughout the building!

Today I had it turn Airplane mode off for 7 minutes and then on for 1 and repeat when I was in the basement. That way I can see if I get a text or voicemail. Airplane mode shuts off when the screen is on and then waits 10 minutes after the screen shuts off to start again. I'm not sure if it's really saving me any battery. I'm using battery spy to try to see about that and also about using Wifi vs. 4g. I've read differing opinions. Some say 4g uses more, some say wifi does. I'm going to try to do a sync of some sort like the one you mentioned.

Caitto

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I am using a Bluetooth Device Connected (Car Audio) type connection but i cannot seem to get it to work 100% of the time, i am lucky if it works 25% of the time here it is.

Conditions
Bluetooth Device Connected - Car Audio (My car)

Actions
Change Music/Media Volume - 15/15 (this works 100% of the time)
Run App Shortcut - My Music Playlist - Play All Songs (hardly ever works)

I have also noticed that when i leave Llama and come back it changes the second action to what is listed below. I am not sure if this is a bug or an intended action.
Media Player - Play/Pause

The reason I am using the My Music on my phone is it is the only App i have found that allows for my car controls to have full control. Other apps I lose volume functions and on others I lose the skip/back features.

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey kurokirasama, thanks for taking a stab at my problem. The amount of hours and times I'm in my office varies unfortunately, but I found out Llama can indeed handle my situation. I'm in a hospital with several different Wifi networks (A, B, C, D...) that run throughout the building but each router has a different MAC address. You can have Llama add a MAC address instead of the SSID and it can differentiate between locations even when the SSID is throughout the building!

Today I had it turn Airplane mode off for 7 minutes and then on for 1 and repeat when I was in the basement. That way I can see if I get a text or voicemail. Airplane mode shuts off when the screen is on and then waits 10 minutes after the screen shuts off to start again. I'm not sure if it's really saving me any battery. I'm using battery spy to try to see about that and also about using Wifi vs. 4g. I've read differing opinions. Some say 4g uses more, some say wifi does. I'm going to try to do a sync of some sort like the one you mentioned.

yeah, Llama can do that too.
About the battery issue, it doesn't matter if you keep wifi or data on, as long as you keep one of them on all the time, it will drain your battery much more that if you have some kind of sync schedule like the one i told you.

By the way, do you know a way to have some kind of airplane mode but just for the wifi and data, not for the calls? I have a night event that turn off everything, but sometimes the playstore make its updates in the middle of the night anyway, and i don't want that.

stuspencer

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone using the Android Location Polling as well? Just started playing with it, but it looks like you could use it in some scenarios to avoid some issues. For example, I would like to be able to "leave home" a few 100 m from the house, but instead I have to drive 5 mins to "leave home". I'm playing around with turning on non GPS location polling when I get near my home towers to more accurately identify "Home". You do have to download an additional Llama Location Polling app, and turn it on in the "Experimental" section. But it looks promising.

Also, I noticed on the Dev's website, the latest version there has NFC tag support. Which would add an additional layer of possibilities. Thinking about trying that as well

Great thread!

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I reset my galaxy nexus and started from scratch.
All I want and for it to work reliably is to have this:
(Currently have a tag that does this but I sometimes forget to hit the tag :) )

Leave home for work:
(only when home wifi disconnects)
turn wifi off, bt on, launch app.

arrive at work and reverse it.

leave work and have it do the same as leaving home.

Do I really need to use towers for this?
because even though I said I would stick with this I either have it set wrong or it's just not as reliable as the "other program"

sethintx

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to create and event to play a recording when I lose my home wifi connection and one when I return to the home wifi. It seems to only work if I manually turn off wifi on my phone. Does not work when I leave and lose the connection or return and resume connection. Any one have any ideas ? Much appreciated. I am on the htc evo 4g lte.

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I reset my galaxy nexus and started from scratch.
All I want and for it to work reliably is to have this:
(Currently have a tag that does this but I sometimes forget to hit the tag :) )

Leave home for work:
(only when home wifi disconnects)
turn wifi off, bt on, launch app.

arrive at work and reverse it.

leave work and have it do the same as leaving home.

Do I really need to use towers for this?
because even though I said I would stick with this I either have it set wrong or it's just not as reliable as the "other program"

hello:
no, you don't need to use cell towers for this. The only condition you must put is connecting or disconnecting from the respective wifi.
So you will need 4 event, 2 for connecting and 2 for disconnecting. Or 2, with the other two Queued in them.

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to create and event to play a recording when I lose my home wifi connection and one when I return to the home wifi. It seems to only work if I manually turn off wifi on my phone. Does not work when I leave and lose the connection or return and resume connection. Any one have any ideas ? Much appreciated. I am on the htc evo 4g lte.

Hi, I don't see why it doesn't work. Your event (2 events) should be like this:
(if you keep your wifi on all the time)
condition: connected (disconnected) to home wifi
action: play the recording

Now, you could improve this by training your home and:
event1: when leaving home turn wifi off
event2: When entering home tur wifi on

plus the 2 previous events.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members