App for streaming media from my home PC?

joggy

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Those are the only 2 solutions that I am aware of. Sorry that they aren't working for you.

You might try Orb's support forums. There are some helpful folks over there that may be able to get you up and running. Not sure on the Homepipe problem.

It's expected that Google will offer up an alternative as part of Gingerbread OS if you can old out until then.

Harvey Wallbanger

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
There are several "solutions" each with its own drawbacks:

Homepipe- streams audio but not video. No way to FF or RW within a song so its not much good for listening to long MP3s or Audiobooks unless you enjoy starting over from the beginning every time the connection drops out (which seems to happen every 10 or 15 minutes into a file.)

GMote - I'm having trouble getting this to work over 3G. Needs Port Forwarding to be set up correctly.

ORB - Streams audio and video. Still no way to FF or RW within a file. Free Web interface is difficult to navigate and has redirect loop issues with some Android browsers.
Mine refuses to work anymore with XScope or Skyfire but still works with the stock browser.

ANDorb - May actually be the most direct, stable, reliable way of playing your orb files. But God help you if you have hundreds or even thousands of songs or videos because it will make you scroll alphabetically through every one of them one page at a time to find the one you want.

ORBlive - a paid app from ORB that (from what I've read) offers little or no advantages to the web interface and may even be worse.

Slingplayer Mobile - Not available yet and not even hooked into your computer, but it will let you stream from your cable TV connection to your phone if you have a Slingbox.

Last edited:

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Gmote is awesome. You have to use Wifi though. Personally I don't care. It's SO easy to use I can'y imagine making it any easier. I love the ability to control the volume through the phone as well. I LOVE this app. Not only can you stream media, you can also use your phone as a mouse and keyboard. I actually use that feature pretty often especially since i switched from the Hero to the Evo. The huge screen makes it even easier. I HIGHLY recommend this app.

KrispyKrink

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
ZumoDrive

It's a lot like DropBox as a Cloud based storage service in that it syncs with your computer files and media but, when you access it from Android, it doesn't require you to download the music to the device, it streams. And like DropBox it offers a free 2GB service.

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I used to use ORB extensively on my old WinMo devices, but I have yet to get it to work at all with Android.
From the browser, I can launch the stream (it appears to be in 3gp), the media player opens but then says it can't play stream.

I'm running a rom with Stagefright- does stagefright break compatibility with the stream?

Orblive's app is useless from the demo, no way I'm paying $10 for it.

ohioviper#AC

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I am using Orb with my EVO and it works great with my Directv box through the EVO stock browser. I set the Orb theme to home theater and its easy to navigate and streams really well.

johnnutz

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Audio Galaxy will stream to you over WiFi, 3G or 4G but I think it only handles music.

Doc

Yes this is the answer for audio. If your home computer is on and running audiogalaxy you are able to stream all of your music to your phone. I love it.

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I am using Orb with my EVO and it works great with my Directv box through the EVO stock browser. I set the Orb theme to home theater and its easy to navigate and streams really well.

Works with the stock browser, playing in the stock media player?

I'm having trouble playing the stream (comes back with an error saying it can't play). I've heard that the stagefright media decoder causes some issues playing some media formats as well as the low end AAC streams (remember when froyo first came out and everyone was complaining about Pandora quality?).

I was under the impression they had fixed Stagefright mostly, but now I'm hearing of problems with some kinds of streaming media. I'm wondering if that is why I can't view Orb.

Can anyone confirm that out of the box, the stock browser and media player work with ORB?

ohioviper#AC

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes it works for me. Stock EVO with default browser and media player. Pc is running windows 7 64 and Im using an ATI HD 750 tv tuner card with a Directv d12 std def box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech