Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Podcast app that will play in background?

I'm another pre to Evo convert and so far the only thing I'm missing is a good podcast app. I'm used to be able to play podcast in the background while I do other things like surf the web. I was very pleased to find that slacker plays in the background flawlessly, and even puts an icon in the notification drawer. It would be great if someone could recommend an app that does these things and has access to all/most podcasts like Android central, engadget, Buzz out loud, etc. Thanks in advance for the help.

By the way, other than some misguided corrections, typing on the Evo is amazing.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

google listen is the best podcast app on android IMO. plays in background, can be set to auto sync/download subscribed podcasts. good stuff
    Thanked by:

I use Doggcatcher and it works great!
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,033 Global Posts
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks Phil. That confirms my Google Listen decision based on Terpitude's recommendation. I'm relatively new to the podcast game (only listen to about 5 shows), but I'll probably try one of the pay options once my subscription list gets out of hand.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

even if you go nuts, listen does a pretty decent job of managing things. it also syncs with google reader

Plus you can't beat the price of Listen (free) against other apps. I haven't had any issues when I download the podcast before playing it, I have however had friends who claim issues while just streaming. It could just be user error.

+1 for Google Listen! I've been using it since I got my Sprint Hero on launch, and have had no problems!

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts

Just out of curiousity, aren't all of the Android podcatchers able to play in the background?

-SR-

PS: I use Google Listen.

Stitcher radio works great

Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    ROM
    Miui 1.1.7.0,

Quote Originally Posted by WarER4X View Post
    Just out of curiousity, aren't all of the Android podcatchers able to play in the background?

-SR-

PS: I use Google Listen.
    As far as I know, yes. And we didn't need to wait until Version 4 of our OS to be able to do that...
    gtalk: Sethjk