File syncing with conflict detection

warrl

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I need to set up file syncing (several directories) between three devices - a Nook Color running CyanogenMod7, a Droid X (which will be rooted soon), and my Windows PC.

I'll be updating some of the files on all three devices, so I'd like to have conflict detection. (A conflict occurs when file X has been updated on device 1, and also has been updated on device 2, so the odds are that neither device has all the updates.)

I also would prefer NOT to have my files (unencrypted) up on someone else's server.

I don't care one way or the other about contact syncing, email syncing, etc. Just files.

For connection I can do wifi or USB. I have an SMB server on the Nook, and intend to put it on the DroidX once I have that rooted.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this?

Note: the files involved are NOT application development. I don't need a full version-control system (actually I already have one, but there's no Android client; plus my Windows backup software does versioning) and I don't want to have to explicitly check things in.

BarneyC

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I do something similar between a PC and two Android devices.

What I do is to connect each Android device to the PC in turn by means of usb and mount them as external disk drives. I then use a piece of software on the PC called SyncBackPro by 2BrightSparks (Backup software that works - SyncBackPro and SyncBackSE) to synchronize the data on the PC with the Android device.

SyncBackPro allows you to specify many different type of synchronization (one way, two way, conflict detection etc).

I would emphasize that I have no connection with 2Brightsparks other than as a satisfied user (no under this name!), also there are several other similar software products out there, two others that come to mind are DirSyncPro, AJCSync ... (google for 'Directory Synchronizer' and you will find quite a few).

Oh and by the way, as well as the paid ('Pro') version that I use, there is a free version of SyncBack which you can try.

Hope this helps.

Barney

Reactions: warrl