Texting in Europe

Bukzin

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I am in Europe and seem to be stuck.

Bought a local French SIM card that came with texting ability
but can't sort out how to use it.

Maybe the texts need to be directly send to my new French phone number,
if so does it need to include the country code as if it were a voice call?

My phone has both the standard texting program as well as
the Handcent app. Each worked fine in California, but no luck here.

I do not have a data package with this SIM; is that the problem?

Thanks!

My N1
is new and has not been hacked or rooted.

Do I need a app that does not require the Internet to run?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Last edited:

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Text messages (SMS) always needs to be sent to a phone number, and the country code needs to be there as well if the sender is in another country, and both ends need international texting included in their plan.
And of course, the messages have to be sent to the phone number that the phone is currently using, which of course depends entirely on the sim installed at that moment.

It can be very expensive, depending on carrier, and international delivery is very spotty in my experience.
You have an N1, which means you have Google Talk. For that you need at least a minimal data plan on both ends. That might be cheaper than the international text message rates.

Last edited:

superflush

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Text messages (SMS) always needs to be sent to a phone number, and the country code needs to be there as well if the sender is in another country, and both ends need international texting included in their plan.
And of course, the messages have to be sent to the phone number that the phone is currently using, which of course depends entirely on the sim installed at that moment.

Yes, this, of course.
So if you have the French SIM in there, the sender (if they weren't also using a French SIM) would have to send to +33....
Sending an international SMS from the US might cost something like 25? and possibly more, depending on the carrier. I would also look into if there is some easy way to send international SMS' from the internet (like how we can send free texts from Gmail to US mobile phones).