[HOW-TO] Guide to Global Badge Notifications

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
when I get a new notification I get a badge notification on my icon. However, is there a way to keep the number of unread emails on the badge Icon.

That will depend on the App you use for EMail.
The native GMail for example works that way but others I've tried do it.
It's likely due to how the App itself tracks Notifications since most weren't designed to be used in this way.

However, apparently Android 4.3 will have a built-in setting for "Notifiers" which theoretically could allow for it to work the way you described regardless of the EMail client you use.
In the meantime I'd recommend you contact the Dev of the EMail App you want to act this way (informing them of the discrepancies between theirs & GMail's) to see if they can implement it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Mohammad Boss

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi.
thanks for your amazing solution.
but it not work properly with "Nova Luncher Prime 2.1.1" and "Missed it 4.0.5".
it's unstable and only work's when phone started, and when you open "Missed it" app, Badge's are gone for ever (Or new change's in count's (for ex : miss call from 2 to 3)). :(

please tel if you find any solution's.

thanks in advance.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi.
thanks for your amazing solution.
but it not work properly with "Nova Luncher Prime 2.1.1" and "Missed it 4.0.5"...

That's weird I don't have a problem on any of the versions of Nova.
Have you tried the most recent BETA 2.2.2 available on the Nova Launcher Google+ BETA Community?

What's your device & OS version?
Rooted/ROM?

Also, do you have a MissedIt Widget or are you just using it for the Shared Elements portion?

Mohammad Boss

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
That's weird I don't have a problem on any of the versions of Nova.
Have you tried the most recent BETA 2.2.2 available on the Nova Launcher Google+ BETA Community?

What's your device & OS version?
Rooted/ROM?

Also, do you have a MissedIt Widget or are you just using it for the Shared Elements portion?

no i don't test 2.2 BETA.
i am on CM 10.1 for Xperia Ray.

and i don't create any widget by Missed it and just using it for shared elements,

it's OK until i don't open "Missed it" app, but when i reopen "Missed it" badges are gone until i restarting Phone or badges numbers changes (new miss-call or new message or etc.)

what's your current Nova and Missed it version you have on your Phone.?

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
...i don't create any widget by Missed it and just using it for shared elements

As I said earlier on in the Thread - using it solely for Badge Notifications (through Shared Elements) isn't how the App was designed to work but just a happy side-effect, so if you're having problems, try creating a Widget tracking the same Apps.
If you don't want to see the Widget, shrink it to 1X1 & hide it anywhere, even in an unused Dock page.

I'm using:
Nexus 4 - Stock/Unrooted - 4.3
Nova - 2.2.2
MissedIt - 4.0.5

lauraepv

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
First of all THANK YOU! Badge notifications was the thing I was missing the most having switched from iphone a couple of weeks ago...

I've got everything now set up like on your original post and it works great, but now my phone also speaks! When I check or uncheck email or pictures for example.... any idea how to turn that off?

Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
...I've got everything now set up like on your original post and it works great, but now my phone also speaks!...

Sure thing, Laura.
That's a known Samsung issue with pretty much all Apps that use Accessibility Services.
To stop it from talking:
Settings--> Accessibility--> Install web scripts--> Not allowed

That should fix the problem.

lauraepv

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Can't find the install web scripts on my settings under accesibiity, what am I missing?

nevermind, it stopped! thanks :)

Last edited:

Chaz Curry

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey @Lanhoj!

Quick Q... Missed It working fine with Tesla + WidgetLocket + Nova Prime - only problem is that now my Gmail badge icon is reset back to 0. When I get a new email, it will up as '1', but it's like it doesn't acknowledge the rest of my unread email. Any ideas?

(Also have it set as a widget. Worked fine before with just Nova Prime + Tesla)

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
...my Gmail badge icon is reset back to 0. When I get a new email, it will up as '1', but it's like it doesn't acknowledge the rest of my unread email. Any ideas?...

Did you create the Widget a long time ago (before GMail updated a few months ago)?
Try removing the Email from MissedIt (in the Widget & Shared Elements) then re-add it to both.

It should keep an accurate Badge Count for GMail until you open Emails themselves.
Example - if it says "2" it should accurately drop to "1" if you only read 1 & not go to "0" until you open both.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
***ANNOUNCEMENT***

MissedIt updated a little while ago to support Android 4.3's new Notification Listener Service.

However, I'm choosing to keep the older version (4.0.5).

I use MissedIt as a sort of "Reminder" when I've cleared Notifications by other means.
If for example I'm in a meeting & get an important EMail LightFlow will blink & Floating Notifications will appear so I quickly turn my screen on to dismiss Floating Notifications which dismisses it globally. Using the updated version of MissedIt it also clears the Badge Notification (# count) so after the meeting if I've forgotten about the EMail I won't remember until I get a new EMail or manually launch the App. That's just not convenient for me.
It would be far more convenient if there was an option allowing the Widget to be cleared but the Badge Count remained until the App itself was actually opened.

I've requested on his G+ BETA Community page to have an option to separate the Badge Notification from the Widget so the Badges can be used as a "Reminder". However, the Dev doesn't seem to see the convenience of this setup & thinks it'll confuse people so he's against adding it, which is his choice so I respect it. I just won't be updating it as I can't rely on it if it functions this way.

If you agree with my suggestion, please Up-vote it here--> http://missedit.uservoice.com/forum...ate-the-badge-count-from-the-widget-so-they-c

lauraepv

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree... voted on the link you provided!

Now is there a way to get the previous version again? I updated and now regret it...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

Andreas Mayr

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

i have some problems with the unread badges on some apps on my Nexus 4 for with Nova Launcher and Wifget Locker. First i had the Tesla unread and everything was working fine for months. But after an update (not sure if it was android 4.3 or the launcher) things messed up, described here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-iii/291365-lost-gmail-unread-count.html

Now i found this thread and installed Missedit! it got a bit better but i still have following issues:
Unread e-mails is shown on the camera app (even in the apps folder)
On the Widget Locker screen, Missed Calls doesn't work.

Last edited:

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
i have some problems with the unread badges on some apps on my Nexus 4 following issues:
Unread e-mails is shown on the camera app (even in the apps folder)
On the Widget Locker screen, Missed Calls doesn't work.

Your Screenshots don't show up so I can't see the problem.

Anyhow, here's a few questions for you:
-Are you rooted & if so what ROM?
-What version of MissedIt are you using?
-Did you try fully uninstalling MissedIt then reinstalling? His latest version when going from 4.2.2-4.3 had some problems that required a fresh install of the App.
-Are you a member of MissedIt's Google+ BETA Community?

Andreas Mayr

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
On Widget Locker it's now working, after adding the app again to the lockscreen. but not on the nova launcher desk.

to answer your questions:
- i'm rooted with build number JWR66Y, but didn't update the superuser after 4.3,
- the latest version of MissedIt from the playstore 4.1.8. I intalled it the first time after 4.3. before i just used Teslaunread.
- no member

2013-09-04 01.21.45.png

Last edited:

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
On Widget Locker it's now working, after adding the app again to the lockscreen. but not on the nova launcher desk....

Not sure why it works on WidgetLocker but not Nova, seems weird.

You've enabled Tesla & set the Provider properly?
Have you added Apps to the Shared Elements section?
Do you have a Widget on Nova or just using the App's Shared Elements feature?

You should probably join the G+ BETA Community since you have Android 4.3 & the Dev can chime in if you're still having problems.

Andreas Mayr

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
You've enabled Tesla & set the Provider properly?
Have you added Apps to the Shared Elements section?
Do you have a Widget on Nova or just using the App's Shared Elements feature?
- yes & yes
- yes
- the shared elements doesn't work for mail as described, so i use now the widget. this works and now I made a workaround. i use 3 widgets, one for SMS, one for calls and one for mail. configured it that is shows me just the number of missed events (no text), and put it under the app icon with no touch input.

i'll try to attach a screenshot (don't understand why i see it in the Preview Post but not in the actual reply)
2013-09-05 18.11.04.png

Steve Rand

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks!

Works like a charm! I was already using Nova Launcher (it is truly fantastic) and I had to purchase MissedIt for my alternative SMS app etc.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR