1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sensorly Shows Where the 4G Really Is (3G too)!

Sensorly shows unannounced Los Angeles Coverage

Summary: The updated app tells you:
    • Do you actually have 4G and just don't know it?
    • Who offers the best 3G coverage in your area?
    • How accurate are the coverage maps?

Android|Central members are reporting 4G coverage in announced and many unannounced markets. San Fransisco, Los Angeles, Washington DC, Jacksonville, Nashville, Manhattan, St Louis, Chicago, Richmond, Denver, Delaware, New York, and other markets have reported coverage in areas not on . Some aren't even on the .

There have been other apps like that can find 3G towers but how do you know where your 4G (and 3G) coverage really is?

The can answer all of these questions. Sensorly users have been quietly mapping the real 4G coverage all across the US for weeks now. Sensorly automatically charts your coverage while you drive. This lets , , , , and international users keep their carriers honest with real 3G coverage charts on the . The maps on your phone are much higher resolution, to within 50 feet.

Version 1.2.9 is still free and brings a number of nice upgrades but the best is that in addition to showing 4G service in green, areas tested without 4G are now in blue. Has your area been tested? Just turn on the app as you drive and your results will automatically be compiled to the maps in a few hours. Sensorly will show you who really has the best coverage in your area and proves where the dead-spots really are, even block-by-block.

Note that the HTC EVO reports 3G signal levels but only shows 4G as "On" or "Off." Also, as Sprint continues to test towers, you can expect unannounced cells to be off at times. Just search on "Sensorly" in the Android marketplace or download from or the .

Some suggested settings: Menu → More → Settings
    • Turn screen on while scanning ON - otherwise it will not scan!
    • Show legend and status ON - so you can see if you are collecting data.
    • Scan WiFi networks OFF - unless you have public WiFi networks you want to scan
    • Allow passive scanning OFF - when you are done so that Sensorly does not run when it is off.
    • Also Menu → Map in background - to be able to keep mapping while using the phone for other things.

Go forth and chart the uncharted lands!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sensorly Shows Where the 4G Really Is (3G too)!-4g-map-new3.jpg  
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08-20-2010 at 10:52 AM.
    — Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards — Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓
    Thanked by 3:

i searched for it but it comes up empty

great app, show spots in brooklyn ny
    Get Android Enjoy The Freedom.

yay it comes up now i am gonna go try it out
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by joek1971 View Post
    great app, show spots in brooklyn ny
    Turn it on and let it map everywhere you go. So far it has been really accurate in finding the deadzone holes in 3G coverage as well. If you are on a call you can see if you are about to lose someone.

The app was just updated to show where users are finding that there is NO 4G.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06-29-2010 at 02:47 PM.
    — Milo
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by dekcufi View Post
    yay it comes up now i am gonna go try it out
    What results have you seen so far?

Remember it can take a few hours for your new readings to be compiled into the maps.
    — Milo

ROM
    clean rom ics

I would not call this exact, it says my house has no 3G, when I have 5 bars. I am close to some open space that humans are not allowed in so it may just be thinking that area is not 3g as no one mapped it. But still pretty cool. I will have to go up to Denver and try the 4G
    If at first you don't succeed, then sky driving is not for you.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by McPlot View Post
    I would not call this exact, it says my house has no 3G, when I have 5 bars. I am close to some open space that humans are not allowed in so it may just be thinking that area is not 3g as no one mapped it. But still pretty cool. I will have to go up to Denver and try the 4G
    It can take overnight for your new data to show up. It them averages it with other data it has gotten. For instance there are some Android phones that have notoriously bad signal that may have been in the area. Over time your good signals will balance it out.
    — Milo

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

i spent the whole day in Baltimore yesterday and the 4G would just read "connecting to sprint" and never did. Fail :/
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by acme64 View Post
    i spent the whole day in Baltimore yesterday and the 4G would just read "connecting to sprint" and never did. Fail :/
    Did you run Sensorly so that it could be mapped?
    — Milo

Quote Originally Posted by acme64 View Post
    i read somewhere that sprint only has 41 4g towers up and running and thats not very many considering that the list of 4g cities is what 30 something
    i had sensorly and used it for a few days let itrun freely in backround and map but it never updated my area
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by dekcufi View Post
    i read somewhere that sprint only has 41 4g towers up and running and thats not very many considering that the list of 4g cities is what 30 something
    i had sensorly and used it for a few days let itrun freely in backround and map but it never updated my area
    It has to be at least 80 towers looking at the concentration of signal maps. But still it is hardly coverage. Fortunately it seems that they are constantly adding new 4G towers.
    — Milo

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

One thing about this app to keep in mind, it runs in the background and uses your data connection as well as your GPS for you battery conscious people.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

looking at the map the harbor is covered

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

I got coverage 4G coverage in the Canton area of Baltimore City during the weekend.

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

Sounds like they are really ramping up 4G, can't wait till Verizon starts rolling out LTE in full strength. Going to be nice. What kind of true speeds are you guys with the EVO getting in 4G areas? And does the amount of signal you are getting affect the speeds at all?
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted

Seems useful. No data in my area, so I'm letting it run to try and fill in the map.

Weird thing. On Appbrain, it comes up fine when you search for "Sensorly". Installed it, and couldn't find it in the launcher. Turns out it's called "Map Viewer" when installed.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Seems useful. No data in my area, so I'm letting it run to try and fill in the map.

Weird thing. On Appbrain, it comes up fine when you search for "Sensorly". Installed it, and couldn't find it in the launcher. Turns out it's called "Map Viewer" when installed.
    I will add that to the opening post
    — Milo
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

This is a fun program, but last time I installed it, it killed my battery even though I told it not to run once I dropped below 90%. Was this fixed? If so, I'll reinstall.
    I'm a tech junkie with a weak spot for Good Music, Good Beer, and Excellent Coffee.

Still running it now and then. Guess I am the only one in my area, since the only mapped area is where I drive. But is cool to see that it is filling in.

I have been running sensorly since sunday and have not seen any of my maps update.

Doing something wrong??

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    ROM
    boring ol' stock

I've seen it fill in when I drove in an unmapped area. I have vague memories having to choose 'live update' or something off a menu. I'd check the menus out. Or someone with better memory than me might come along and be specific.
    Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->EVO 4G-->EVO 3D-->Droid Razr Maxx-->Galaxy S4

Now if I'm not mistaken for this to actually work, and map out the locations, we have to leave the screen on and just let it dim? If we actually tap the power button to shut the screen off it won't map our area's even if you have it set to run in the background?

Checked their website.

"4G maps : green indicates 4G is available. Unlike other types of wireless networks, Android phones currently do not report how good 4G reception is so it cannot be plotted at this moment."

Even with that said I have full strength 4G and it shows blue not green....

Thought this would be a good app.