List apps that are HOLO themed (ICS design)

Google Nexus

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
If Google Play had a category, that would list apps those follow design guidelines with HOLO theme, we would be sorted. Also, titles of Editor's choice, Featured apps, Staff picks should be reserved for developers that follow design guidelines, to encourage them pursue better design.

With great smartpones like HTC One X, Samsung GNex, Galaxy S3 in our hands, it s**ks to use apps that still use Eclair design.
To start us off, here are a couple of examples of apps I'm aware of:

Tasks - To do/tasks

Audiomanager - Volume manager

Battery Widget Reborn - Battery manager

Safe In Cloud - Password manager

Lobowiki - view Wikipedia articles

Nova launcher Prime - Home screen replacement & app launcher

Please post the apps/widgets that you know/use have HOLO theme, Google play link and a description of 2-3 words to help others understand what it does.

P.S. This thread was inspired by the desire to use apps, that have good design/UI and that led me to Holoeverywhere.com This site only reviews apps that follow Android design guidelines or are HOLO themed.

Last edited:

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: List ONLY apps that follow ICS design guidelines i.e. HOLO th

RepliGo PDF reader
Missed It! global notifications manager
Calendar Droid
Dropbox

Last edited:

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site

SetCPU - root tool for processor speed management.

taldayan

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Maniana ToDo List, simple, great reviews, open source, absolutely free, no ads, no crippleware.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.zapta.apps.maniana&token=Pc6mp482

---

One simple way to test if an app was adopted to ICS+ is the android:targetSdkVersion value in the app manifest. If it is 14+ then it's good.

AndroidManifest.xml - maniana - Maniana open source todo list app for android - Google Project Hosting

Also, ICS shows the menu button at the bottom bar (those three dots) only for legacy apps.

SquareWide

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: List ONLY apps that follow ICS design guidelines i.e. HOLO themed

Excuse me for getting slightly off topic but is this really such a concern?
I know I've seen many apps that are just overall badly designed but the ICS guidelines don't prevent bad design that I'm aware of.

What are you really referring to when you look at this from a user point of view?

Google Nexus

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site

First let me reply to your questions, then I'll put my points below it. I see that you're a new developer in Android market, so having these kinda questions is good for you.And I hope this will help you motivate to upgrade your app to ICS guidelines.
Excuse me for getting slightly off topic but is this really such a concern?

It is indeed a point of concern. And for an individual to understand, s/he should be using a device that launched in 2012(in other words a high end device). So I'll presume from hereafter that you're using a device that doesn't fall into this category.

I know I've seen many apps that are just overall badly designed but the ICS guidelines don't prevent bad design that I'm aware of.
Yes, no guidelines can prevent bad design. But new OS, like ICS here, give you a fresh & a decent stock base that you can use, without worrying about custom design of your app. Don't believe me, go checkout apps that I've listed above with Google Play links.

What are you really referring to when you look at this from a user point of view?
If you were to buy a laptop tomorrow will you install Windows 95/98 on it, and find apps that are compatible with those OLD operating systems. Most people will answer this question, with NO.
Similarly, If you're using a fresh design oriented Android OS on your high end phone, why would you go to find apps that still have UI of Doughnut or Eclair?

Until ICS came, it was hard to blame developers for a bad design, since older versions of Android had a weird UI (with orange & yellow colors) in it's stock. But with help from Matias Duarte design became important aspect of Android OS 4.0 & they pretty much nailed it with ICS. Moreover, with more than 1.3 million new Android device activations per day and around 600,000 apps in play store, more and more people will be using phones with ICS/JB OS as their default. It is safe to presume they will be looking for apps with new UI instead of apps built for older versions of Android.

Google Nexus

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site

Notif - Rich notifications for reminders, passwords, lists, pictures, or anything else

Last edited:

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

Is it possible to edit either the original post or the 1st reply to keep a full running list? I know this is asking the op to do more work to keep editing as people post more apps, but I think it would be really helpful to have a "complete" list somewhere.

Google Nexus

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site

Is it possible to edit either the original post or the 1st reply to keep a full running list? I know this is asking the op to do more work to keep editing as people post more apps, but I think it would be really helpful to have a "complete" list somewhere.

I see where you're coming from..but as you rightly pointed out it involves extra effort/time in going through each new post(verifying it for HOLO theme) by everyone and putting it back in the original post. Also, I only post when I come across a new app that has a HOLO theme. Since, there are many apps that are following ICS guidelines but not all have stock HOLO theme. Moreover, an indirect result of posting in this style is that it gets more attention of old/new forum members, something that won't be possible if the same post was edited again and again, unless this was made a sticky thread.