Any good Flipboard alternatives?

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I am looking for a magazine-style, Flipboard-like RSS reader for my Nexus 7. It would be great if it were tablet optimized (rather than a blown up phone app), but if not, I'd want it to look good on the 7" screen.

The reason I don't like Flipboard is kind of picky...but I hate flipping up/down rather than left/right. It's just too counter intuitive as a magazine metaphor and it rubs me the wrong way=/ So, any suggestions? Thanks!

RUSHnATL

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about Google Currents on the N7, but it's similar to Flipboard. Give Flipboard some time to develop their Android Tablet version. Hopefully one is coming. I agree with you that scrolling isn't my idea of what "flip"board is all about. I love Flipboard on my iPad and hope they'll improve on the Android Tablet going forward.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about Google Currents on the N7, but it's similar to Flipboard. Give Flipboard some time to develop their Android Tablet version. Hopefully one is coming. I agree with you that scrolling isn't my idea of what "flip"board is all about. I love Flipboard on my iPad and hope they'll improve on the Android Tablet going forward.

Currents doesn't do RSS/Google Reader Sync...

Yeah I had an iPad and loved Flipboard on it but I just can't use the Android version as is.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Do either Pulse or Feedly have the option to auto-load the full article content in a "readability/instapaper" view? That is to say, almost all my feeds give only the first line or two of the article and force me to jump to a browser to keep reading. The app I currently use is gReader Pro which will automatically show me mobilized full content (within the app) upon clicking on a feed item. As much as I like the functionality though, I don't really like the tablet interface:(

zenibear

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Provided the content author hadn't disallowed the whole article I'm the feed then yes pulse loads the whole article in pulse, no need to go to a browser but you can do that as well if you want.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Provided the content author hadn't disallowed the whole article I'm the feed then yes pulse loads the whole article in pulse, no need to go to a browser but you can do that as well if you want.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Unfortunately that's what I meant...almost all of my feeds specifically disallow full content view via standard RSS. I have to use extensions on Chrome and only certain apps to get around this. I was hoping Pulse/Feedly would but it doesn't look like it:(

iam_robj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to bump an old(ish) thread but I am actually in the process of developing a flipboard style news reader and was looking to see what's already out there? Especially for tablets.. I've used Flipboard, Currents, Pulse and Feedly. All of which have their good points but none of them do the job fully imo. Are there any others I've missed or should try before I go and write my own? Don't want to reinvent the wheel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463