1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Handcent is pissing me off!!!!!

This has been happening to me since I had the Motorola Droid, Droid Incredible and now the EVO. Handcent does this dumb *** force close and deletes all my messages. Has anyone else experienced this and what have you done about it? I know quite a few people this has happened to and it's becoming more and more a pain in the ***. What should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesedward318 View Post
    This has been happening to me since I had the Motorola Droid, Droid Incredible and now the EVO. Handcent does this dumb *** force close and deletes all my messages. Has anyone else experienced this and what have you done about it? I know quite a few people this has happened to and it's becoming more and more a pain in the ***. What should I do?
    What are you doing when it force closes? i havent had this happen to me yet.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Holsum View Post
    What are you doing when it force closes? i havent had this happen to me yet.
    usually sending a message or reading one or another one comes thru. it doesn't happen often but often enough

if you're not happy with the app, then stop using it and use the default one....

If that is happening to you and a few others, why not use ChompSMS? I've tried both and stick with ChompSMS, but I do like the message pop-up that Handcent has.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Just use the default one, it sends and receives text messages just like handcent. That is what is supposed to do right?

He obviously knows he can use the default app (not much help there). But to add my 2cents, I have had the Evo since launch day, and installed Handcent a couple days later. Since then I have never had a force close. My only suggestion could be reinstall.

usually sending a message or reading one or another one comes thru. it doesn't happen often but often enough
    There was an update a couple does ago check and see if there is one for you on the market.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I want to thank a few of you for the none smart *** comments.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Holsum View Post
    There was an update a couple does ago check and see if there is one for you on the market.
    I installed the update and still does it.

sometimes uninstalling the app and reinstalling it helps any issues. only issues Ive had with Handcent is when I try to select a different notification ring tone it wont change but other than that I love it
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by rodeiguez102 View Post
    He obviously knows he can use the default app (not much help there). But to add my 2cents, I have had the Evo since launch day, and installed Handcent a couple days later. Since then I have never had a force close. My only suggestion could be reinstall.
    thanks bro will do
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

I installed the update and still does it.
    Sounds like you might have a conflict with something else running on your phone. I've never experienced the problem you're reporting and I've been running the app non-stop.

Check to see what else you are running that might use SMS. Maybe you've got two products that are stepping on each other.

I know that isn't much help, but I've found that these kinds of issues are usually the result of poor coding by 3rd-party apps in conflict for resources.

P.S. You aren't using any kind of task killer are you?
    --Inspector Gadget

Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Windows Mobile: Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Diamond
    WebOS: Palm Pre
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Sounds like you might have a conflict with something else running on your phone. I've never experienced the problem you're reporting and I've been running the app non-stop.

Check to see what else you are running that might use SMS. Maybe you've got two products that are stepping on each other.

I know that isn't much help, but I've found that these kinds of issues are usually the result of poor coding by 3rd-party apps in conflict for resources.

P.S. You aren't using any kind of task killer are you?
    No sir
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Handcent is an app. Moving to the apps forum.

Global Posts
    1,310 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    I agree with Insp_Gadget, there must be some app on your phone that is in conflict with Handcent.

You could try uninstalling all your apps. Then install Handcent first. Make sure it works. Then install one app and check Handcent again. Do this one app at a time and perhaps you will find the app that is causing the conflict. Its a lot tedious process, but it might solve your problem, and you can share your findings with us.

Have you disabled the stock SMS app? Go into the settings for it and make sure all the notifications are turned off, and that Auto-retrieve is unchecked. Don't know if that's the problem, but it's worth a try.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

well if its happening to your droid, incredible, and now evo ... hmmm .. do you have another third party sms app? are you txting portrait or landscape style? are you using your return button as a new line or to send? i've been using the handcent for awhile, i haven't experience this.