Music Player (Remix)

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Music Player (Remix) - Public beta is now open!

I like this one better, but they're both good.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

It looks good on a white background like this web page; however on the actual device, it's too dark. The lighter icon looks better because you actually see the drop shadow and it doesn't look as flat.

tuxpower

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

DanPLC -

I got a force-close on my Galaxy Player 4.2 (samsung YP-GI1) running Gingerbread, non-rooted. I had tried to open a playlist that I had copied over from FooBar 2000 and got an error message, then the force close. When I tried to send you the log with this information, somehow it would not let me update the text of the email with this info, so I sent it (hope it went thru) anyway.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

DanPLC -

I got a force-close on my Galaxy Player 4.2 (samsung YP-GI1) running Gingerbread, non-rooted. I had tried to open a playlist that I had copied over from FooBar 2000 and got an error message, then the force close. When I tried to send you the log with this information, somehow it would not let me update the text of the email with this info, so I sent it (hope it went thru) anyway.

Thanks, I got your email. I'll get it fixed in the next release (coming out either tonight or tomorrow).

tuxpower

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

Awesome, thanks! My Galaxy Player is my daily music driver, and since it's running Gingerbread 2.3.6, I'll be sure to test it out there.

BTW, you've got the lock screen working for ICS and up. What about support for GB? Just curious...

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

BTW, you've got the lock screen working for ICS and up. What about support for GB? Just curious...

Right now it's only going to be ICS+. The mini-player on the lock screen is the design I always intended and that's not possible in previous versions of Android. There is a way to display a full-screen custom lock screen on Gingerbread & Honeycomb, but it's not something I really wanted to do. But if enough GB/HC users ask, I may do it in the future.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Version 0.9.14 has been released. It's Release Candidate 1 which means that assuming no bugs are found or last-minute features/enhancements are implemented, this will be the 1.0.0 version released to the Google play store (and Amazon app store)! There will be plenty more updates after the 1.0.0 release with new features (see the new "Upcoming Features" section on the app's Help screen for a few of them).

You can grab the latest version here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-applications/206430-music-player-remix-public-beta-now-open-5.html#post2399542

Here's the changelog:

Version 0.9.14 (Release Candidate 1)

- (Enhancement) Create new launcher and notification icons (please let me know how you like them!)

- (New Feature) Added Remix Tips, FAQ, Upcoming Features, and About to Help screen. If you have other ideas for FAQs, let me know.

- (New Feature) Add support for the Android backup service to backup app preferences. This will allow preferences to be automatically restored after the app is re-installed (on most devices running the Google Play Store if auto-restore has been enabled in the device's Security settings).

- (New Feature) On the left-side sliding menu, you can select the default view by long-tapping the desired tab. So for instance, if you want to display Autolists by default long-tap "Autolists" at the top of the left-side menu (NOTE: The default view will only appear when you first load a screen. The app remembers the view you last displayed anytime you open the panel while using a screen).

- (Bug Fix) If you tapped the album art or preset options while the left or right menus were open, it would treat it as a long-tap.

- (Bug Fix) If you tapped the display options button on the Genre song list screen, the app would crash.

- (Bug Fix) Album art may not have updated on the 4x2 widgets when switching tracks on certain devices.

- (Bug Fix) When switching lists, the app would crash under certain conditions.

- (Maintenance) Quick Switch icon at the top of the right-side menu has been made invisible. In the future this will be replaced by an equalizer icon.

- (Maintenance) Add code to be used for the free trial version.

StuntmanMark

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

I'm really liking the new icon. There's 2 small features I think are missing (well, really just additions to existing features). An option to reorder the faves list and when searching for a song the option to queue it instead of just play it.

noseph

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

Dan, will you be implementing 'Discover New Music' like in the webOS version? I am really enjoying your Android work!

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

I'm really liking the new icon. There's 2 small features I think are missing (well, really just additions to existing features). An option to reorder the faves list and when searching for a song the option to queue it instead of just play it.

I was thinking about having the Fave re-ordering feature, but then I realized that most people are probably using it to store a few of their favorite items which most likely will fit on one screen.

The option to queue a Fave is coming. I'll be adding "..." next to each Fave (instead of "X") which will have all the options normally available next to a song/album/artist. It will include "queue next" and "remove from Faves list".

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Dan, will you be implementing 'Discover New Music' like in the webOS version? I am really enjoying your Android work!

Originally I intended to do this, but took it out after I realized I wouldn't need to implement the Twitter and Facebook APIs for song sharing since I'm using the standard Android sharing system (which is quite nice by the way). It didn't seem prudent to take the time to implement the Twitter and Facebook APIs, and Discovery, when I'm not even sure how many people used this feature. Discovery is a rather complex feature to implement actually. It would take a lot of work and I think there are more important things to work on when folks can just go on Twitter and search for "#MusicPlayerRemix" (the large majority of Discovery posts were always from Twitter).

But this may be one of those things I implement in the future once I get other higher-priority features completed.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Beta testers: If you experience a "force close", please use the "Send App Log" feature immediately. Writing me about the crash without me having this log is not going to be that useful. But with the log, I can most likely fix the issue.

As "Release Candidate 1" is being tested, my #1 priority is eliminating all crash conditions prior to the official Play Store release. So PLEASE send me app logs after a crash!!!

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Hi, why not stick to what you have? There is so much memory in the icon for me as a day one webOS user.

Hape.

Because the old icon isn't large enough. I need it to be 512x512 to submit it to the Android Play Store.

I have a special place in my heart for the old icon, but I also think the app needs a new icon...clean and modern. The fact that I need a larger icon makes the decision easier.

tuxpower

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

Right now it's only going to be ICS+. The mini-player on the lock screen is the design I always intended and that's not possible in previous versions of Android. There is a way to display a full-screen custom lock screen on Gingerbread & Honeycomb, but it's not something I really wanted to do. But if enough GB/HC users ask, I may do it in the future.

That's cool. Thanks!

BTW, I just installed 0.9.14rc1 on both my Galaxy Player and Galaxy Nexus running 4.1. Looking good!

Only one thing I noticed, not a deal-breaker... on the the Nexus, on the notification pulldown the text appears as white text against the black background. On the Galaxy Player 4.2 under Touch-Wiz, the text is black against a dark grey background, so it's not readable.

Keep up the good work! Still hoping for a lock screen on GB for the future (^_^), that would make it perfect!

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

That's cool. Thanks!

BTW, I just installed 0.9.14rc1 on both my Galaxy Player and Galaxy Nexus running 4.1. Looking good!

Only one thing I noticed, not a deal-breaker... on the the Nexus, on the notification pulldown the text appears as white text against the black background. On the Galaxy Player 4.2 under Touch-Wiz, the text is black against a dark grey background, so it's not readable.

Keep up the good work! Still hoping for a lock screen on GB for the future (^_^), that would make it perfect!

Yeah I made the notification text on GB devices black since all GB devices I've seen have a lighter notification area.

I think what I'll do is create a dark overlay on GB devices and make the text white so it'll be easy to read no matter what color the notification area is.

lairdchris

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

Fetching lyrics gives me an error message.
Upgrade to Lyrics Plugin version 0.4

I've tried with different songs, same result for all of them.

Chris

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Fetching lyrics gives me an error message.
Upgrade to Lyrics Plugin version 0.4

I've tried with different songs, same result for all of them.

Chris

There is no "lyrics plugin" in Music Player (Remix) and no such error should ever occur.

Can you post a screenshot? And can you email me your app log after receiving the error because I can't imagine anything in my app generating this type of error.

EDIT: Chris pm'd me a screenshot of the error. It looks like it's an error generated by the Lyrics web site, not Music Player (Remix). I think the lyrics web site was having issues.

I'll modify the app to detect this error and display a more user-friendly error indicating lyrics cannot be retrieved.

Last edited:

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Version 0.9.15 (aka Release Candidate 2) has been released. You can grab it here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-applications/206430-music-player-remix-public-beta-now-open-5.html#post2399542

Here's the complete changelog:

- (Enhancement) Add a dark overlay to the Gingerbread notification and make the text white so that it's readable on any Gingerbread device regardless of whether the notfication area on that device is light or dark.

- (Enhancement) If the lyrics web site (where lyrics are pulled from) returns a "Lyrics Plugin" error, display a more user-friendly error indicating lyrics cannot be retrieved at this time.

- (Bug Fix) When selecting "Add to faves" on an album, if you selected "Artist", it would add the album instead.

- (Bug Fix) Composers would not show up after deleting and re-installing the app.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Version 0.9.16 (aka Release Candidate 3) has been released. You can grab it here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-applications/206430-music-player-remix-public-beta-now-open-5.html#post2399542

Here's the complete changelog:

- (Bug Fix) The Remix music service would not completely quit when exiting the app and the "always enable music service notification" option was de-selected. The notification would disappear; however it may have re-appeared even if you didn't reload the app.

- (Bug Fix) An error may have occurred when the "basic lock screen controls" are enabled. This error would have happened behind the scenes without the user being aware of it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet