Music Player (Remix)

aric

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Looking fwd to the release. I loved it on webOS and miss my gestures! ;)

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Can you make a option to leave the screen on when the player is on?

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk 2

Yep, I'm planning that! If you look at the right panel shown below (available by swiping the right edge of the screen or pressing the menu button on any screen within the app), you'll see an icon at the top that looks like a light switch. Tapping that will produce a popup with several commonly used preference switches. One of them will be "Keep screen on while app is active" toggle with 3 options: "Never", "While Charging", "Always").

remix5.png

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Another question. I hate the way Poweramp does shuffling. It took me a while to figure out, and I would love to see simple commands. Shuffle songs in playlist or repeat songs in playlist for example. Or just play an album all the way though. Any chance of this?

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Another question. I hate the way Poweramp does shuffling. It took me a while to figure out, and I would love to see simple commands. Shuffle songs in playlist or repeat songs in playlist for example. Or just play an album all the way though. Any chance of this?

If you tap the ellipsis ("...") next to a playlist, you'll have an option to load it up in shuffled order. Also you can swipe up (from the bottom of the screen) to display the "shuffle" and "repeat" toggle options.

I'm not sure what you mean by "play an album all the way through". When you select an album, by default it'll play it in track # order.

lairdchris

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Will Remix resume playing exactly where it stopped when leaving the app?

The stock player on my S III always restarts the last played song from the beginning...

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Will Remix resume playing exactly where it stopped when leaving the app?

The stock player on my S III always restarts the last played song from the beginning...

Yes! I already have this working actually. It remembers the exact song list you were listening to as well as the exact position in the song you were listening.

But Remix is going to go a step further. You're going to be able to resume the last played position in any song you load, not just the last one that played. So basically anytime you load a song, you'll have the option to resume where you last left off. This will help in the following scenarios:

- If you're listening to a long-format audio file (audiobook, podcast, etc.), you can stop that file and start listening to music, then go back later and resume where you left off. You'll also have the option of saving manual bookmarks in tracks, but it'll save an automatic one as well.
- If you accidentally switch tracks when listening to a song, you can go back to it and just resume where you left off.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Here's a demo video of the Song and Album browsing screens. It shows off the multiple sorting options as well as other features:

Last edited:

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I forgot to demo landscape mode. Here's a screenshot:

remix_songs_landscape.jpg

All the screens in the app are being designed around various layouts (phone & tablet). So you'll always have the optimal user experience no matter how you hold your device or which device you're holding.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
wow, this is so cool! Thanks for sharing!

Anything in particular that really stands out to you? Or is the whole app just cool?

I'm interested in hearing what features seem most appealing to everyone. Personally after using the app myself, I think the mini-player (revealed by swiping up within any other app) is the most compelling feature. It's something that just isn't possible on other platforms and really showcases the power of multitasking.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I still owe you for making my pixie usable. I'm so onboard when it is released.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Android Central Forums

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Anything in particular that really stands out to you? Or is the whole app just cool?

I'm interested in hearing what features seem most appealing to everyone. Personally after using the app myself, I think the mini-player (revealed by swiping up within any other app) is the most compelling feature. It's something that just isn't possible on other platforms and really showcases the power of multitasking.

That doesn't seem too far off from the webOS dashboard player you made, although that did take up screen real estate. I like that idea though. Are you considering a carousel type of album browser by any chance? I think that would be my only request that was never made for webOS. It's pretty hard to come up with new ideas for your app, as it was really feature comprehensive.

Actually, what about if I'm playing a certain song....and I'm on shuffle all for example...a button to show all tracks by that artist, or album, or both?

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't seem too far off from the webOS dashboard player you made, although that did take up screen real estate. I like that idea though.

It is very similar to the mini-player I created in webOS. And while Android now has notification controls similar to webOS, they're limited to simple touch commands and cannot contain more advanced controls like a list or scrubber bar. The mini-player on Android is designed to be an almost-complete replacement for the app's full Now Playing screen that can be accessed anywhere you are on your phone.

Are you considering a carousel type of album browser by any chance? I think that would be my only request that was never made for webOS. It's pretty hard to come up with new ideas for your app, as it was really feature comprehensive.

I'm going to be working on a grid view for the Albums screen. I'm going to look into a carousel view too (good idea!), but based upon my initial investigation it looks like it will only be on Honeycomb and later. Other carousel implementations I've found make use of a Honeycomb and later feature.

Actually, what about if I'm playing a certain song....and I'm on shuffle all for example...a button to show all tracks by that artist, or album, or both?

That's already there. On the Now Playing screen you can tap the ellipsis (...) at the top of the screen to get additional options including "View Album" and "View Artist". Also you can tap-and-hold the preset option buttons above the album art to assign one of the extra functions to that preset. So if you commonly view the album of the current song, you can assign it to one of the presets.

Also on any song or album list, you can tap the ellipsis (...) next to a song/album to get "View Album" (for songs only) and "View Artist" options.

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping it's coming soon. I'm getting sick of Poweramp playing songs that aren't playlist and shuffling when it's not selected.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping it's coming soon. I'm getting sick of Poweramp playing songs that aren't playlist and shuffling when it's not selected.

Well shuffle is definitely working. I know because I switch it often.

I'm making good progress on the app, but still have more to do. But hopefully not too much longer.