Music Player (Remix)

SilvrDrgn

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Music Player (Remix) - Public beta is now open!

So how's everybody liking the beta? I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the app.
What features really stand out to you?
Any features missing that you can't live without (not listed in the "What's not in the beta yet...and known issues" section in my original public beta post above)?
Can you see this becoming your music daily driver?

Coming from the webOS version, this is a great start on the Android version! What really stands out to me is the sliding panels to access additional functionality. Those are awesome! This app could definitely become my daily driver for music. As an audiophile, a feature that I cannot live without is a multiple band graphic equalizer to customize the sound (bass, treble, etc). Gotta have that. With that, this app would guaranteed be my daily driver.

A bug that I have encountered is posting my currently playing song to Twitter. When I use the appropriate sharing buttons in MPR to send the tweet to my preferred Twitter app (Tweet Lanes), it always puts the word "null" (without the quotes) and a space or two at the beginning of the tweet.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Coming from the webOS version, this is a great start on the Android version! What really stands out to me is the sliding panels to access additional functionality. Those are awesome! This app could definitely become my daily driver for music. As an audiophile, a feature that I cannot live without is a multiple band graphic equalizer to customize the sound (bass, treble, etc). Gotta have that. With that, this app would guaranteed be my daily driver.

Couldn't you use a 3rd party equalizer app/widget like this: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...artandroidapps.equalizer&hl=en&token=MiMvtXhS

I haven't tried this one (or any other one actually) since I don't really use equalizers, but it seems like this would be a good option. I can investigate adding an equalizer within the app, but not sure it'll make it in version 1.0.0.

A bug that I have encountered is posting my currently playing song to Twitter. When I use the appropriate sharing buttons in MPR to send the tweet to my preferred Twitter app (Tweet Lanes), it always puts the word "null" (without the quotes) and a space or two at the beginning of the tweet.

Try to share with another app (other than Tweet Lanes) and you'll see the "null" doesn't appear. Tweet Lanes has some type of bug causing this to occur. Perhaps it has something to do with the "♫" I place at the beginning of the shared text. But that's just a guess.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Did some research and apparently there's an equalizer API built into Android (since Gingerbread), so I'll definitely investigate adding equalizer functions.

SilvrDrgn

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Couldn't you use a 3rd party equalizer app/widget like this: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...artandroidapps.equalizer&hl=en&token=fMSNSK8C
I haven't tried this one (or any other one actually) since I don't really use equalizers, but it seems like this would be a good option. I can investigate adding an equalizer within the app, but not sure it'll make it in version 1.0.0.
Try to share with another app (other than Tweet Lanes) and you'll see the "null" doesn't appear. Tweet Lanes has some type of bug causing this to occur. Perhaps it has something to do with the "♫" I place at the beginning of the shared text. But that's just a guess.

Having separate app or widget to adjust equalizer not ideal. Would prefer that the equalizer be included within MPR application (like Poweramp or PlayerPro do it).

Yes, you're right about Tweet Lanes. Tried posting with Plume and Hootsuite. Both of those work just fine.

ZeDirektor

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

I've only just started playing with it, but so far, it is truly an excellent music player! I like the elegant interface and the many options, like the ability to change the various menu colors, the auto-playlists and the ease of use in general.

The only thing I noticed is the lyrics display doesn't seem to recognize the line breaks of embedded lyrics. I've been using "The Godfather" software to embed lyrics in all my MP3 for the last couple of years and they display fine in players like Winamp and others, but in Remix, everything is "jammed packed" together...

Other than that, it's great, keep up the good work!

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

I've only just started playing with it, but so far, it is truly an excellent music player! I like the elegant interface and the many options, like the ability to change the various menu colors, the auto-playlists and the ease of use in general.

Glad you like it!

The only thing I noticed is the lyrics display doesn't seem to recognize the line breaks of embedded lyrics. I've been using "The Godfather" software to embed lyrics in all my MP3 for the last couple of years and they display fine in players like Winamp and others, but in Remix, everything is "jammed packed" together...

Can you email me one of the files so I can try it out on my device? I should be able to determine which line break character it's using and fix it so it displays properly. In the email, please type out a few of the lyric lines and indicate what it should look like (vs. what it actually looks like).

My email address is hedami DOT support AT gmail DOT com.

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

I'm getting pretty impressed here. Finds more lyrics than anything associated with any of the other players I've tried, including musixmatch, tunewiki, poweramp, and the distribution player. Found Portuguese lyrics to Jobim's songs, and even some forties jazz. In fact, only LyricFind did better and it only finds lyrics (isn't a player).

Suggestion: import playlists from other players, and such as power amp.

Sound seems clear and undistorted to me (listening through a bluetooth connection to my hearing aids.)

Sent from my GT-I9300

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

I'm getting pretty impressed here. Finds more lyrics than anything associated with any of the other players I've tried, including musixmatch, tunewiki, poweramp, and the distribution player. Found Portuguese lyrics to Jobim's songs, and even some forties jazz. In fact, only LyricFind did better and it only finds lyrics (isn't a player).

Plus the downloaded lyrics are embedded directly into the music file so you only have to download them once!

Suggestion: import playlists from other players, and such as power amp.

Music Player (Remix) uses the standard playlists saved in the central Android media database (accessible to all music apps). It's not going to support any proprietary playlists that other 3rd party apps are saving. In Remix, I'm trying to keep everything universal. Just like it's doing with lyrics and album art (both embedded directly in the music files so any app can access them), it's going to use the globally-accessible Android playlists.

Sound seems clear and undistorted to me (listening through a bluetooth connection to my hearing aids.)

Good to hear (no pun intended!)

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Any beta testers running Android 4.2? Is everything working ok?

Also anyone on Jellybean (4.1 or 4.2), can you see if gapless playback works?

noseph

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

Any beta testers running Android 4.2? Is everything working ok?

Also anyone on Jellybean (4.1 or 4.2), can you see if gapless playback works?

It appears that gapless is working on 4.1.2.

danimal62

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

When I try to scroll the the right screen on my nexus 4 it wigs out and all the choices disappear. Good to see remix on my phone :)

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

When I try to scroll the the right screen on my nexus 4 it wigs out and all the choices disappear. Good to see remix on my phone :)

You're going to have to be more specific than that. On what screen are you scrolling? And what exactly are you scrolling? And what does "wigs out" mean? Can you provide a screenshot?

Also with any bug/issue report, please indicate which Android OS version you're using, whether you have a custom ROM, and whether you're rooted...and of course which device you're using (which you already specified).

danimal62

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Screenshot_2012-12-08-20-03-06.pngScreenshot_2012-12-08-20-02-52.png[]
Jelly bean Stock ROM I just noticed also when I download album art the latest replaces the previous one. Like I downloaded art for Otis Redding and then weezer when I went back to Otis he had the weezer pic. The pic on the right is when I am not touching it the left is with my finger on screen trying to scroll

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

View attachment 50280View attachment 50283[]
Jelly bean Stock ROM I just noticed also when I download album art the latest replaces the previous one. Like I downloaded art for Otis Redding and then weezer when I went back to Otis he had the weezer pic. The pic on the right is when I am not touching it the left is with my finger on screen trying to scroll

Please indicate which version of Android you're using (4.1, 4.1.1, 4.2, etc.)

Do the other menus (left-side, bottom-side) do the same thing?

In regards to the album art thing, can you specify the exact steps to re-create the issue? "I went back to Otis" could mean a lot of things. I need to know exactly what you're doing to make the issue occur.

danimal62

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Here"s the screen shots from the other 2. 4.2.1 Build. Basically I picked an album art for dock of the bay it had none played a couple of songs picked an album art for weezer. I then backed up a couple of songs and dock of the bay had weezer so then redid it. I then went to weezer and Otis was there. I tried for Taylor Swift and she is just there..

Attachments

• IMG_20121208_210211.JPG
    IMG_20121208_210211.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20121208_210544.JPG
    IMG_20121208_210544.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Here the screen shots from the other 2. 4.2.1 Build. Basically I picked an album art for dock of the bay it had none played a couple if songs picked an album art for weezer. I then backed up a couple of songs and dock of the bay had weezer so then redid it. I then went to weezer and Otis was there.

It doesn't display like this in the Android 4.2 emulator. I'll try to implement a fix for it in the next beta, but I'll kind of be flying blind since I can't recreate the issue. So when the next beta is released, please let me know if you still see these visual glitches in the menus.

I assume you were doing the album art on the Now Playing screen. So when you downloaded album art for Weezer, did you wait for it to finish downloading before you switched songs (i.e. the album art notification at the top of the screen disappeared)? If so, did the Weezer album art update after the notification was removed?

If you go the Weezer song now, does it show the correct album art?

Also it would be really helpful if you could list (in a bulleted list) the exact steps you take. For example

1) Go to Now Playing screen. Playing "<artist name> - <song name>".
2) While song is playing, tap "..." above album art and select "Download Album Art" from menu.
3) Choose album art. Notification appears at the top of the screen. Continue playing same song.
4) Album art for current song updates after the notification disappears.
5) Press next (on album art) to switch tracks. Now Playing "<another artist> - <another song>".
6) etc..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2