1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Looking for an OTA password/credit card sync'ing app

i'd like to have an e-wallet type program that i can hold credit card numbers, passwords, and misc notes. being able to sync daily OTA with an online website would be great as well.

Several people (based on comments in other threads) use KeePass and DropBox to achieve this. I think LastPass may have something as well, if you get the premium subscription.
    --
    applejosh
    Just a username...not a fanboy
    former Nexus One owner (AT&T)

i use a password protected MS Word File with Strong Encryption and Documents To Go. the beauty is you can open this file on any device in the world with MS Word or Docs To Go. Docs To Go 3.0 coming soon will support Office 2007 Super Strong Encryption/Password.

i like the free-flow format and the open standard of an MS Word File. i don't like some mom and pop locked proprietary closed format. and MS Word and Docs To Go is free if you already have it.

i then use Filezilla to FTP that file from PC to DriveHQ.com (free app, free FTP storage).

i then use the AndFTP free Android app on my EVO to access the Word Doc.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

B-Folders FTW!!! Such an awesome app.

I switched from eWallet to LastPass and love it.

Global Posts
    472 Global Posts

1Password is still Beta, but once that app is stable and Dropbox/OTA sync will be offered, it will kick arse. Not to mention it's available on Mac and Windows now.
    "It's 3G and has the wifis"
    -- iPhone Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
    i'd like to have an e-wallet type program that i can hold credit card numbers, passwords, and misc notes. being able to sync daily OTA with an online website would be great as well.

Heh this question comes up a lot, and I am always stunned that people don't mention this app: RoboForm

They have both a Desktop, USB Drive and Online version.. ohh the online version is FREE with any of the other two.

I use a USB Drive that stores my passwords/credit card info/Shipping info, just about anything you can think of. It auto Syncs from my USB to the cloud via their servers.

I can then access it from any web browser, including Android's built in or even Dolphin.

Furthermore they have a Java bookmarklet which can be installed into any browser via a single click from their website which lets RoboformOnline work in an interactive mode for your browser. One click logging in and saving of passwords.. and the best part for me.. The bookmarklet works in Android!

So on my device, I can not only go to the web to 'look' up passwords and such.. but if I'm in a browser and need to log in, I can load up roboform with a gesture (I'm using Dolphin HQ as a browser myself) , log in, and then have it auto-fill in the password directly on my Evo

There is only one caveat with Roboform (and a few other password systems), because it is so flexible, being able to store all sorts of login info including multi-pass pages, the database it stores it in is somewhat custom, which doesn't lend itself well to exporting and reimporting to another system. However for me that's a moot point as I've used them for years and have no intention of switching.. and I can always make a print-out if need be to hand enter into another system should I change in the future.

Check them out:

and

If you go this route, I HIGHLY recommend purchasing a USB License instead of desktop.. that way you can take it with you anywhere if needed. It has no difference in performance or features. (Any USB Drive will work btw.. and even TINY ones like under a gig work fine).
    Last edited by DroidGnome; 07-08-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: added Android Hyperlinks

Global Posts
    295 Global Posts

I'm watching this thread. In my case, though, I can't use Dropbox or other similar sites as they're blocked at work.

Global Posts
    472 Global Posts

@DroidGnome: I'm well aware of RoboForm and even used the service for ~6 months. The reason I do not recommend them is their customer service. Arrogance to it's max. And I think that's because they dominated the PC market once, but they have some serious competition now.

This is coming from my personal experience as well as 2 other friends :/
    "It's 3G and has the wifis"
    -- iPhone Fanboy

If you're going to save data to someone elses website, be sure your data is encrypted both during transmission and on their servers, and that only you know the password.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    B-Folders FTW!!! Such an awesome app.
    +1 ! I have now played with almost all of them and B-Folders is the perfect replacement for anybody that used eWallet on WinMo or BB. Android version has no two way sync and no OTA. B-Folders is pricey but a winner.
    -----------------------------------------------
    The brightest Thunder-Bolt is elicited from the darkest Storm. Charles Caleb Colton ...
    Thanked by:
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BallCoach View Post
    +1 ! I have now played with almost all of them and B-Folders is the perfect replacement for anybody that used eWallet on WinMo or BB. Android version has no two way sync and no OTA. B-Folders is pricey but a winner.
    If I remember correctly, I have you to thank for B-Folders. It truly is an amazing app. I can be anywhere in the world and sync my phone and all my other computers up at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by melwan View Post
    @DroidGnome: I'm well aware of RoboForm and even used the service for ~6 months. The reason I do not recommend them is their customer service. Arrogance to it's max. And I think that's because they dominated the PC market once, but they have some serious competition now.

This is coming from my personal experience as well as 2 other friends :/
    Wow I've never had a problem with their customer service myself. I've contacted them numerous times from everything from Bugs, questions and account help. They've always been very prompt, usually under 24 hour responses.

I will admit, sometimes their responses were a bit 'short' and not very typical of a customer service type email, however at the same time I felt I was talking to someone who actually knew how to fix something or help rather than a customer service person emailing back scripted responses. I guess I've been lucky.

As a product though I've not found anything else that lets me sync passwords without installing software on the PC (A must since I cannot and will not store personal passwords on a work PC), sync to the cloud so I can access anywhere, and also work with my android to let me auto-sign in without having to look up passwords before I go to a site.

Most of the password systems I've seen, and from what I know of those mentioned here previously, are simply password 'keepers' in that they will store your info well enough, but they don't let you auto-sign into websites or fill out forms with CC info easily. (Though I've honestly not reviewed ANY in over a year so there might be some new apps that I've not seen before.)

Personally I'd still recommend Roboform, and just bought my father a usb license for father's day actually So long as the software continues to work, I'll never have to see that 'ugly' side of customer service you mentioned.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

i just use encrypted notes on evernote since i can't afford the software that syncs the market apps, lol.

the only thing i have a problem with is that if the note is too long the app hangs on my evo for a bit so i just divide the information up

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted

I looked at a lot of options and ended up with . Fairly similar to B-Folders, but (IMHO) more customizable and allows more fields. Upgrading from the free Lite version enables syncing with a nice desktop client.

Just an FYI (and I have no vested interest), B-Folders tells me their next release will have more fields and more customization capability.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

it looks like b-folders is just a phone -> PC sync, there's no backup to an online server huh?
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,011 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

I have tried a few over the years but always come back to ewallet.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

it looks like b-folders is just a phone -> PC sync, there's no backup to an online server huh?
    That is correct.

And consequently no opportunity for someone else's servers to be hacked, or for a disgruntled employee of the company hosting the servers to steal your data.

If you're using an OTA service, make sure the data is encrypted on your phone before transmission to their servers, and that only you have a way to know the encryption key. And make sure the encryption algorithm is a strong, industry standard one.

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tony bag o donuts View Post
    I have tried a few over the years but always come back to ewallet.
    I too used eWallet for winmo and bb however as Tony knows the Android version is only a widget so it only shyness from PC to phone not both ways. This makes it useless as far as I am concerned. eWallet dev says they have no plans at this point to write a version with re way sync. By the way, B Folders does a very good job of importing your data from eWallet so no manual entry is necessary for existing information.
    -----------------------------------------------
    The brightest Thunder-Bolt is elicited from the darkest Storm. Charles Caleb Colton ...