Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sensorly...When's the map update?

I've been leaving Sensorly running when I have a 4G signal in DE for 2 seperate days now and the maps still don't show it at all where I have mapped it. I have set it to map in the background as well as just left the app running with the screen on. The map doesn't show anything I've mapped yet and its bee like 3 days since I tried to map the 4G signal in my area.

Ideas?

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Me too only on Verizon in Virginia. I have been driving all over heck and creation trying to fill in map data with Sensorly on Verizon and the map never seems to update.

When driving around I usually enable GPS and then initiate a Sensorly background update to make sure it’s running. I can see the Sensorly Icon in the Status Bar, but it never seems like the maps are being updated.

Anyone have any insight on how long it takes for Sensorly’s “ magic” to happen?
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

I too have been mapping 4g all over Syracuse and it dosent seem to update. everytime i check there is no 4g in my area..
    HTC EVO 4G
    Vaelpak 3.0 Remastered
    Netarchy-4.1.9,1-SBC

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

I'm going to give Sensorly another week. If there are no updates, I'm going to uninstall. No point in feeding them data if they are not going to update the maps.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,052 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I sent them an email today. I will post the reply when I get it. I've been wondering the same thing.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,052 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Holy fast reply!!! Here's my response, word for word (including typos lol):

Usually, all maps update multiple times a day but July has been rough : lots of new users and I was on vacation. I've tweaked the server and optimized everything one more time : right now all the maps are being updated but I expect it's going to take at least another or two to come up to speed.
    After that, some data may be stored in your phone and not visible to the server but it will trickly up to it + the next beta will allow you to force send the data.

Let me know if you still don't see your data next week.

So there you have folks, straight from the developer. I think when we got the word out (and I think it was featured on appbrain, too) he had a lot of new users come on board. So give it some time and it should be up to speed. According to them anyway.

(BTW, if you ever wonder about an apps performance you can usually email the dev from the market page for the app)
    Last edited by Kevin O'Quinn; 10-30-2012 at 06:07 PM.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    Holy fast reply!!! Here's my response, word for word (including typos lol):

Usually, all maps update multiple times a day but July has been rough : lots of new users and I was on vacation. I've tweaked the server and optimized everything one more time : right now all the maps are being updated but I expect it's going to take at least another or two to come up to speed.
    After that, some data may be stored in your phone and not visible to the server but it will trickly up to it + the next beta will allow you to force send the data.

Let me know if you still don't see your data next week.

So there you have folks, straight from the developer. I think when we got the word out (and I think it was featured on appbrain, too) he had a lot of new users come on board. So give it some time and it should be up to speed. According to them anyway.

(BTW, if you ever wonder about an apps performance you can usually email the dev from the market page for the app)
    Not for nothing, but I've been feeding this guy data for months and the maps for my area have never updated since the day I installed. Even a few trips up and down the eastern seaboard have massive holes in areas I know I scanned and had good signal over a month ago.

The "where the magic happens" needs to audit a class at Hogwarts to get things cooking.

I tried e-mailing the developer tonight and the contact us page was broken.

I'm ready to uninstall unless he starts updating the maps toot sweet.

Great reviews, good concept, **** poor execution.
    Last edited by Kevin O'Quinn; 10-30-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

I did finally e-mail the developer last night. And as previously noted, he was VERY fast in responding.

The servers are currently overloaded and taking a lot longer to update. They update at least once a day for maximum zoom level so you should see your data there. If you don't please let me know and we'll investigate, maybe you have an exotic phone.

I'm working on beefing up the infrastructure so, by the end of the month, we'll be back to multiple updates a day for US maps at all zoom levels.

Can you give me a link to the forum so I can post the news ?

I followed up and told him that as of this morning I had still not seen any updates, he again immediately responded looking for the App ID so he could track why the updates are not posting.

I'll give credit where credit is due. He is very responsive and want's the product to work well. I'll keep it for a while and see what develops.
    Last edited by Kevin O'Quinn; 10-30-2012 at 06:08 PM.

I take a lot of Sensorly data.

Zoom Levels 1 & 2 (farthest out/least zoom) show nothing because they are too small.

Level 3 is about 4 months out of date.

Levels 4, 5, and 6 are being recompiled (I am guessing within a week?).

Levels 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, & 12 are at least a month out of date.

Zoom levels 15, 16, 17, and 18 are recompiled each night. (18 is the highest zoom level)

So I use the highest Zoom levels, 15, 16, 17, and 18. The developer has said that he is adding servers and will be able to catch up soon. Prior to everyone using Sensorly levels, 15, 16, 17, and 18 recompiled within a few hours. 7-4 updated overnight.

Is anyone not seeing Zoom levels, 15, 16, 17, and 18 updated overnight right now?

Also, you have to make sure that you are actually collecting data. Is the number of data point collected number going up?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08-16-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓

Default Almost there...

Hi everyone. Craig has pointed me to this link.

Hang in there a little longer ! I've got the new server, I've written the migration plan and I've started implementing some of the changes. I'm on track to getting it to work by the end of the month.

That should very strongly decrease the time it takes to update the US maps, I think we should be back to at least one update for every zoom level every day... probably better.

I think it might also solve some of the issues described here concerning "holes" in the map. I won't go into details but CDMA is hell to map compared to GSM and the first method I used to determine which base station belonged to which carrier was slow to fill the holes. With the new server, I will be using an improved method. And since I will also completely redraw all the US maps, the holes should disappear.

I'm also working on the new version of the app which has a huge list of changes & improvements; beta testers are testing what I hope is the last version. One of the important things I've added to that version is service messages : that will allow me to "push" messages to users and I wil be able to let you know when the situation improves or degrades suddenly like it did at the end of June.

And if you're curious, yes it's because of a sudden influx of users that the server became overloaded : basically, the volume of data reported by Sprint users increased four-to-five-fold... ouch.... The fact that I was leaving the next day for 3 weeks vacation with my family confirmed Murphy's law.

Please contact me if you have any questions or suggestions, I'm eager to make this a great service.
    Last edited by Sensorly; 11-03-2012 at 03:13 AM.

Default Speed, speed, speed

GSM & CDMA maps are now back to updating as fast as they did in June... many times a day for all zoom levels.
    Wifi maps still need a little tweaking and will be back to normal in a couple of days.

Any update to the maps not updating ? I have been collecting data for a few days now and haven't seen a update. I came across this forum posting and was wanting to know if there are any new developments in the time it takes to update.

I've been in contact with Sensorly on Twitter. They have been very helpful but my issue hasn't been resolved. When I get the issue resolved I will post more info.

If there are no updates, I'm going to uninstall. No point in feeding them data if they are not going to update the maps...

I think I know what issue I am having. I'm on a grandfathered in Alltel plan on Verizon. And I think since I'm on that Alltel plan my network provider to my phone is showing up as unknown. If you go into Settings>About Phone>Network>Operator Name, mine shows up as unknown on my HTC Droid Incredible.