Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: Squeeze Control for Android (support thread)

Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    The drop down was sized to fit landscape orientation (I was too lazy to make it detect available space). I'll look into auto sizing it based on available space
    Thanks for adding this in the latest update.

I've tried downloading them to the SD card in the phone and also streamed them directly using the Search function from the Squeeze Control main menu (while connected to mysqueezebox.com...if that makes any difference). (I did a search for "Car Talk" and then chose "recent episodes" in the search results)

I haven't tried running them from my local LMS server. I'll try that and let you know if it makes any difference.

I played around with settings like the Output Sampling Rate and Codec Control but couldn't solve it. I'll copy paste what I see in the debug screen while playing them. Maybe that will give us a clue?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  

Quote Originally Posted by niconum View Post
    I've tried downloading them to the SD card in the phone and also streamed them directly using the Search function from the Squeeze Control main menu (while connected to mysqueezebox.com...if that makes any difference). (I did a search for "Car Talk" and then chose "recent episodes" in the search results)

I haven't tried running them from my local LMS server. I'll try that and let you know if it makes any difference.

I played around with settings like the Output Sampling Rate and Codec Control but couldn't solve it. I'll copy paste what I see in the debug screen while playing them. Maybe that will give us a clue?
    I connected to mysb searched for Car Talk, selected recent episodes, and played the latest one and it played at normal speed (the banjo tune in beginning sounded fast, but it wasn't it just had a fast tempo). Do you have another android device you could try?

Still the same problem when listening to the mp3s from my local LMS.

Sounds like it might be related to the specific hardware and/or Android revision I'm using then. What's weird is that it only seems to be some mp3s (64kbps cbr?) and not others.

Yes I can try another Android device on Saturday and I'll let you know. Thanks.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #55  

Still the same problem when listening to the mp3s from my local LMS.

Sounds like it might be related to the specific hardware and/or Android revision I'm using then. What's weird is that it only seems to be some mp3s (64kbps cbr?) and not others.

Yes I can try another Android device on Saturday and I'll let you know. Thanks.
    It definitely sounds like a specific hardware/Android revision problem. Still, it's a little hard to believe that any hardware/software would have problems with a 44.1kHz 16bit 64kbps CBR mp3. That's about as plain as it comes.

I've been testing on a Nexus 7 (2013).

BTW when the podcast is playing, on the top section of the debug screen, does it say mp3 16/44.1 for the format?

Ah shoot...well a Nexus 7 2013 is precisley what I was planning to test with this weekend.

Yes, it says Format: mp3 16/44.1 in the Server Messages section.

I may have to try an alternative rooted O/S. The frustrating thing is the downloaded mp3 will play fine on the device in, say, Google Play Music (the app with the headphones as a logo).

Cheers.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  

Ah shoot...well a Nexus 7 2013 is precisley what I was planning to test with this weekend.

Yes, it says Format: mp3 16/44.1 in the Server Messages section.

I may have to try an alternative rooted O/S. The frustrating thing is the downloaded mp3 will play fine on the device in, say, Google Play Music (the app with the headphones as a logo).

Cheers.
    That is really strange. On the debug screen, whenever you start a track, you will see two lines in the Server Messages section that starts with "strm-s". Can you tell me what exactly what those two lines are for the affected podcasts? Those two lines indicate the setup info for the stream that the player is receiving from the server. It's unlikely that the server is sending incorrect info, but I just want to make sure.

The Music player app likely uses a different part of the API than SB Player. The Music player is most likely using an older part of the API where the app just hands off the music file/stream to the system and the system plays it, while SB Player uses a newer API that was added to android 4.1, which allows the app to just use the system to decode the music data without playing it. It's possible that the version of android you are using may not have implemented this newer API correctly.

A possible workaround to this problem maybe to turn off mp3 support in advanced settings. If you are connected to a local LMS, this will force LMS to transcode the stream to a different format before sending it to the player. After you change the setting, make sure you disconnect and reconnect for the setting to take effect. I don't think this will work for MySqueezebox though.

Hi there.

Thanks for your digging.

While streaming the latest mp3 from the Car Talk web site (with "Use MP3" set to ON), the Server Messages section says

strm -q
    strm -q
    setd: name query
    std: 4
    aude
    audg: volume 50,50)
    strm -q
    audg: volume (50,50)
    strm-s: frmt:m endn:1 as:3 trns:0 dur:10
    flgs:
    strm-s:in Thres:20 outThres:1 rGain:1.00
    audg: volume(50,50)

Switching "Use MP3" to OFF and streaming a downloaded Car Talk mp3 from my LMS still exhibits the problem of the audio playing too fast and sounding lke a chipmunk.

Interestingly, though, I did a test of Squeeze Control using Squeeze Player and that works ok so there does seem to be a problem with SB Player, the newer sound API and some types of mp3s on my platform.

I would love to fix the problem because, as you know, SB Player allows me to connect directly to mysqueezebox.com (unlike Squeeze Player which will only connect via my home LMS).

Cheers.

Sorry, typo on the flgs line.

Should have been

flgs: 0
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #60  

Switching "Use MP3" to OFF and streaming a downloaded Car Talk mp3 from my LMS still exhibits the problem of the audio playing too fast and sounding lke a chipmunk.
    You probably didn't disconnect after you switched off "Use MP3". It doesn't matter anyway, since I realized that LMS cannot transcode mp3 to anything else.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #61  

Interestingly, though, I did a test of Squeeze Control using Squeeze Player and that works ok so there does seem to be a problem with SB Player, the newer sound API and some types of mp3s on my platform.
    I'm not sure if there is a way to fix this on your device, short of switching to a different mod of Android.

I would love to fix the problem because, as you know, SB Player allows me to connect directly to mysqueezebox.com (unlike Squeeze Player which will only connect via my home LMS).
    Are you sure Squeeze Player doesn't work with mysqueezebox? From the player's perspective there actually isn't much of a difference between connecting to LMS and to MySb. The only difference is that the player has to register itself to MySb. Squeeze Player probably lacks that capability, but what you might be able to do is first connect squeeze player to LMS and then using the web controls or Squeeze Control, tell Squeeze Player to switch it's music source to MySqueezebox.com. This should register Squeeze Player with MySb and you should be able to connect directly afterwards. Of course this won't work if Squeeze Player does not support server switching.

Wow, I thought I had read somewhere that a direct mysqueezebox.com connection wasn't supported by Squeeze Player but I tried it this morning with my LMS switched off and it works!

Thanks very much for suggesting that.

As a side note, I happened to be playing the same stream on my Squeezebox Radio and Smartphone this morning so I was looking around for the option to sync them, but after a few seconds it seemed they were in perfect sync on their own!

Just curious: Is the newer API on SB Player supposed to provide better quality audio than the older one I am using with Squeeze Player?

Thanks.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #63  

Just curious: Is the newer API on SB Player supposed to provide better quality audio than the older one I am using with Squeeze Player?
    The use of the newer API is more about future device compatibility. For Squeeze Player to implement all the features of squeezebox on older versions of Android, it had to use what is called "native code" which runs a little closer to the metal, so to speak. The advantage of native code is that it ran a lot faster and I think android exposed more hardware features to the native code API. The disadvantage is that once the app is built, it is locked to the particular CPU architecture it was built for. This has not been much of a problem since almost all android devices used ARM based CPUs, but more devices are appearing that use alternative architectures. To make it work for other CPUs, a version of the app will have to be tested and built for each one. Also, an entire app cannot be built in native code, there has to be some non-native portions, so by not using native it made SB Player a little simpler to manage.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #64  

Wow, I thought I had read somewhere that a direct mysqueezebox.com connection wasn't supported by Squeeze Player.
    You might have read that it does not Officially support a direct connection to mysqueezebox.com. This is likely because Logitech used to discourage app makers from doing that, since this was costing them bandwidth without earning any money from hardware sales. I was told by another developer of a player app that Logitech asked him to remove the ability to connect to mysqueezebox.com.

I haven't gotten any emails from Logitech probably because the market of Squeezebox have shrunken so much by now that the little bit of extra bandwidth from one app is probably negligible and they just don't care anymore.

Ok thanks.

I really appreciate all the info you've provided and your being so responsive on this forum.

It's been said before elsewhere, but what a shame the Squeezebox product line took the direction it did...it's such a great architecture. Hopefully people like yourself will continue to keep this stuff alive and well.

Let me know if I can help test anything in the future.

Cheers, Nicholas.

Is there a way to force it to refresh cover art? It's only picking up maybe 20% of my covers, if that. And it's inconsistent on what it's getting. For most of my albums I have folder.jpg and cover.jpg, so far the ones that show up have both, and many of those that don't show up, they have both also. And most of my albums have cover art in the web browser so I know LMS is finding it.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #67  

Quote Originally Posted by KeithLM View Post
    Is there a way to force it to refresh cover art? It's only picking up maybe 20% of my covers, if that. And it's inconsistent on what it's getting. For most of my albums I have folder.jpg and cover.jpg, so far the ones that show up have both, and many of those that don't show up, they have both also. And most of my albums have cover art in the web browser so I know LMS is finding it.
    Just reload the page/menu/list. Successfully loaded artwork should already be cached on the device, so the reload should only loaded any artwork that failed the first time.

It sounds like either your server is having trouble handling the load of serving up the artwork or the network connection of your device is flaky. Squeeze Control is a bit harder on the server than the web controls, so it's possible that a lower powered server may have trouble handling the load.

I have a beefy server and a good network connection on a Nexus 10. It's just really hit or miss on what shows up. Another squeeze app on my tablet shows 99% of the cover art. It may have picked up more of the art, but there's still a lot missing and so far I haven't detected a pattern on what's missing and what's there.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #69  

Quote Originally Posted by KeithLM View Post
    I have a beefy server and a good network connection on a Nexus 10. It's just really hit or miss on what shows up. Another squeeze app on my tablet shows 99% of the cover art. It may have picked up more of the art, but there's still a lot missing and so far I haven't detected a pattern on what's missing and what's there.
    Have you tried restarting the server and doing a full rescan? Try asking some questions of the squeezebox forums too.

My guess is that the image loading is timing out. The other squeezebox app you use may have a longer timeout than Squeeze Control.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    Have you tried restarting the server and doing a full rescan? Try asking some questions of the squeezebox forums too.

My guess is that the image loading is timing out. The other squeezebox app you use may have a longer timeout than Squeeze Control.
    I did do a complete rescan after I updated some of my cover art. I need to do a more thorough analysis of the missing ones. Some of my cover art is quite large, but I think some of the missing ones are on the small side. But perhaps they are coming in batches so the bigger ones are screwing things up.

Oh well, it is what it is. Overall your app is the nicest I've seen, especially on tablets, it makes a much better use of larger screens than other apps so I'll be sticking with it no matter what.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123