Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Automotive Scan Tool App

Can someone recommend a good scan tool app. I am a driveability tech and would like to get one for at home for side work and friends cars. Thanks

Global Posts
    295 Global Posts

Suggest Torque in the market. It interfaces with bluetooth OBD scanners that can be found for ~ $30 on eBay. The author is very responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by rem_kujawa View Post
    Can someone recommend a good scan tool app. I am a driveability tech and would like to get one for at home for side work and friends cars. Thanks
    please elaborate: what exactly is an automotive scan tool?

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It syncs bluetooth to a sensor connected into the ODB-II sensor that is require on all cars from 1996 on. Typical location for these ports are under the stearing wheel, or on the drivers side around where a a hood release lever would be. It can pull codes for diagnostics, display "real-time" engine stats like RPM, speed, boost (turbo/supercharged cars with a sensor built in). Pretty neat stuff for the motorhead like me. I've been thinking about getting something like this. I wouldn't recommend this for someone who has autozones/advanced auto parts near by and just need a diagnostics scan. Those places do it for free.

Torque App

Example of wireless ODB-II scanner
    Last edited by Andrew Ruffolo; 07-10-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    please elaborate: what exactly is an automotive scan tool?
    It's what we use to diagnoses check engine lights and various driveablity problems.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by rufflez View Post
    It syncs bluetooth to a sensor connected into the ODB-II sensor that is require on all cars from 1996 on. Typical location for these ports are under the stearing wheel, or on the drivers side around where a a hood release lever would be. It can pull codes for diagnostics, display "real-time" engine stats like RPM, speed, boost (turbo/supercharged cars with a sensor built in). Pretty neat stuff for the motorhead like me. I've been thinking about getting something like this. I wouldn't recommend this for someone who has autozones/advanced auto parts near by and just need a diagnostics scan. Those places do it for free.

Torque App

Example of wireless ODB-II scanner
    Thanks its just what I was looking for.

That's pretty cool. I never knew there were BT code readers and software for phones. I think I'm going to get me one of them.

Rufflez, do you have any personal experience with those cheapo ebay scanners?
    Last edited by meyerweb; 07-10-2010 at 04:55 PM.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

thanks rufflez -- didn't know it was so easy to do that. I paid the Ford dealership a crap load of money to determine why the "check engine" light was on (O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold). it would have been sweet to just go buy a switch myself and save $$

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

well, I haven't yet. I just finished school and cut it close with disposable income. I have a part time job now, so I may try it out. I'll definitely post back when I bite.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    thanks rufflez -- didn't know it was so easy to do that. I paid the Ford dealership a crap load of money to determine why the "check engine" light was on (O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold). it would have been sweet to just go buy a switch myself and save $$
    Yeah, next time, just got to an autoparts store. They should be able to diagnose it for free. its like an incentive to buy the parts there instead of the dealership
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

As a service tech my self just because there is code does not mean that's the fault. I have fixed a lot of cars that came from the local part store who claimed to fix it. Just be careful. I normally use a scan tool to see what the code is and test with my lab scope.

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Nice, my car is experiencing electrical problems. Wonder if this can help?
    </awesome>

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Like with most technology, these tools are meant for those who really know how to use them! I have a deal w/ my local mechanic, he fixes my cars, I fix his computers. We both know enough to know what we don't know.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

I think I can manage. Worst case scenario, I have to sell my car for scrap.
    </awesome>

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm familiar with cars. Just learning more and more about modern day sensors and stuff. I learned most of what I know with my first car, including how to patch something on the side of the road so I can get it to limp home (1974 SuperBeetle). Learned some coolant and system codes with my second car (1994 300zx). And my current car, fortunately American, has had only oddball warning lights come on and not cost me a lot of money to get fixed.

I appreciate the warnings and concerns, but I've been maintaining and rebuilding my own cars and bikes for several decades now. I've got pretty good diagnostic skills. Just haven't really had a need for a code scanner yet, and figured these are cheap enough maybe I'll get one anyway.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

I mentioned this to my local mechanic today. He is going to check it out. I promised him I wouldn't!
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

Anything for OBD-I cars?

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

I finally got the scanner, and ran it with Torque. It works great, gets all the error codes off my 2000 Malibu. I would reccomend to get this scanner that was recommended before.
    </awesome>

Cool. Thanks. You're not the seller of that scanner, are you?

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Cool. Thanks. You're not the seller of that scanner, are you?
    Nope, I bought it from the other guys suggestion. My Evo found it and connected to it. Displayed everything (Including my error codes) perfectly.
    </awesome>

Quote Originally Posted by QuasarZ View Post
    Anything for OBD-I cars?
    Yea..A bent paperclip.

I'm not joking. You bent a paperclip and place each end in a certain pin location with the ignition on. The check engine lamp will flash in a sequence that will supply you the DTC (diagnostic trouble code) number. Take that number to the parts store and they will tell you what the issue is.

google is thy friend.