App to Control Home Appliances, Electronics, HVAC, etc?

EVOjet

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if there is an app that will control electronically controlled things at home. HVAC/thermostat would be a great start, TV/receiver/DVR would be a great next step, then maybe preheat the oven or turn lights on here and there. Anything like that exist? I found no related topics when searching. Thanks.

canonfaz

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
If you have a Tivo, then the tivo app works really well - I use it all the time. That doesn't help you out much for the HVAC and thermostat though.

edarchitect

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Remote control

My old Samsung SCH-i730 Wi-Mo had a Infrared transmitter and a nice remote control application that would learn the codes from any IR remote. Something like that would go a long way towards making the phone a good remote device. I wonder why the phone makers are leaving IR off the new phones?

rmiles7721

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Check out the DroidSeer X10 app (in the market). You have to have the home automation systems to use it but it looks pretty cool. I use Homeseer for all of my automation stuff and just access it through a mobile web page myself rather than using the app though.

Check out the forums at homeseer.com for a ton of information on home automation.

mikemsd

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Home Buddy is also a good one. It works with the Mi Casa Verde Vera controller. I've got it set up for my HVAC and lighting at the house. Vera is primarily a Z-Wave controller, but can also control X10. If your looking for HVAC control, I'd suggest looking at Z-Wave. It's a little more expensive than X10, but it's a much more resilient system that actually gets stronger with more nodes as it works as a wireless mesh network.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz