Amazon AppStore update uses insane amount of memory

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I got a push of Amazon AppStore version 4.5.16.0C_542600010 yesterday. Nice shiny new interface that took forever to load. Now for 2 days I'm wondering why my Thunderbolt is sluggish and Sense has reloaded itself twice. Never been a problem before.

So I get to looking around and the freakin' AppStore is using 49MB of RAM at IDLE!!! (Previous version used about 4MB by comparison). So I killed the app. Rebooted the phone. Opened the AppStore again thinking to myself, "well maybe it was just the first-time load of the app that sucked up all that memory". Nope, CLOSED out of the app, looked at memory usage, 52MB this time!

WTF Amazon!? Really!? Is this only happening on my phone? Do they think I'm going to let their idiotic app sit there using 10% of my available RAM so it can check if one of my lousy Amazon apps gets an update?

Anybody else seeing this behavior?

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
piizzadude not sure why your results vary unless you don't have many Amazon apps installed? Thanks for checking though.

sropedia, sounds like you have more Amazon apps installed than I do.

I have 26 total. The new AppStore seems to be caching a heck of a lot more info about installed apps than the old version did. The interface is a lot busier as well. I've been doing the same as you. Check the FAOTD and also see if I have any updates then force close the damned thing.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I only have a few apps from Amazon app store and I have noticed the same thing. Seeing as though I basically never use this app store I am just going to delete it. "edit" Just checked,, only have one app that I never use. This app store is useless to me,,, bye bye.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

sropedia

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I have several games and apps actually installed, but over a hundred in the cloud, because I always try out the free app of the day

Sent from my HTC One X

Keith Lewis1

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue with my LG optimus S. Have reloaded twice with same issue. And yes I have clear the cache clearing the data makes it reload . Just bad programming!! must be taking lessons from Microsoft on loose programing

Keith Lewis1

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I got a push of Amazon AppStore version 4.5.16.0C_542600010 yesterday. Nice shiny new interface that took forever to load. Now for 2 days I'm wondering why my Thunderbolt is sluggish and Sense has reloaded itself twice. Never been a problem before.

So I get to looking around and the freakin' AppStore is using 49MB of RAM at IDLE!!! (Previous version used about 4MB by comparison). So I killed the app. Rebooted the phone. Opened the AppStore again thinking to myself, "well maybe it was just the first-time load of the app that sucked up all that memory". Nope, CLOSED out of the app, looked at memory usage, 52MB this time!

WTF Amazon!? Really!? Is this only happening on my phone? Do they think I'm going to let their idiotic app sit there using 10% of my available RAM so it can check if one of my lousy Amazon apps gets an update?

Anybody else seeing this behavior?
Try going to Amazon.com and deleting some of the programs that you have stored there that you don't intend to reupload especially the free ones. Then clear the data on your phone and soft reboot.