Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Disappearing album art in Google Play Music app

I'm posting this under applications because it doesn't seem to be related to the specific device (happens on both my phone and tablet), and I've now seen it happen on a device running CM10, too. Googling the problem shows others have had this same issue, but I'm left wondering what devices it's been seen on. Here's what happens:

I play a lot of music on both my Galaxy S3 (AT&T version) and Galaxy Note 10.1 (US wifi version) in the Google Music app & also I sometimes use the Samsung stock music app on my Note 10.1. I have never used the stock music app on my phone -- though I doubt I bothered to disable it. I often choose tracks off my playlists, and the album art will load when I select a track and the app displays the track playing screen (album cover, track info, progress bar, etc, etc -- that screen). But, sometimes (well, OK once this starts to happen, it happens everytime) when I hit the back button and return to my playlist, but then wish to return to the track info screen by touching the now playing bar at the bottom of the screen -- when the track info screen reloads, the album art will be missing -- all that's there is a big box with a bright blue outline. If the device locks while on the track screen (screen timeout), sometimes even the track info is missing, too.

I've had a bunch of android devices, and I don't recall having this problem until the last couple of months -- a reboot of the device usually fixes it for awhile, but it always returns. And while it doesn't affect my ability to play music, it's just annoying. I just would like to know if anyone else has this issue, or has seen it, and perhaps if it happens on more than just Samsung devices. So far, I've seen it happen on my stock AT&T SGS3 running 4.1.1, my stock Note 10.1 (4.0.4), and now I've actually seen it on a Samsung Captivate running CM10 (hubby uses his old phone as an mp3 player -- and we did see it happen on his account once on that device).

I have yet to figure out if it only happens after using another app (or any specific app), though definitely messing with the screen orientation/flipping between apps, seems to accelerate the appearance of the problem. I've had it appear after flipping the device around and having the screen auto-rotate. I've also had it appear when flipping between apps (any other app thus far -- triggered it once after flipping between a mobile banking app and the Music app). So I'm really clueless as to what might be causing it, other than perhaps something odd with the app itself, and everything I've seen is just ... coincidence. Yesterday, I rebooted my tablet after having a sound issue & the only app I launched was the stock music app, and when I launched Google Music after that, the disappearing album art was already there -- and this was a mere 10 minutes or so after having rebooted the device. *scratches head*

The only thing I have noted is that sometimes the album art returns if the Google Music app syncs up -- so, say I'm updating a playlist and within a minute or so, I see the sync symbol pop up -- if i'm on a track screen with album art missing, it sometimes will return. But, if I attempt to force a sync, it doesn't do anything.

Any insight, anyone?

Default Re: Disappearing album art in Google Play Music app

I have the same/similar issue. When I first got my S3 & I played Google Play music, it always displayed the album covers. The album covers display when I am looking at the list of music in the player, but if I select one of the songs, it displays in "full screen", the album cover doesn't display.

Now for some reason it never displays them. I haven't changed any settings (that I'm aware of) in the music player.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I have the same problem, started after the Jelly Bean update. I never saw it before that. Galaxy S3 Verizon.

I had the same problem until the version 4.5.910I.560208 update and a couple of firmware updates from samsung. Updated them the same day. I honestly don'y know what fixed it. But I'm happy with it now that I probably won't buy Poweramp after my trial ends on the 8th.