Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    988 Global Posts

Default what font app is best?

I have an app called "fontomizer" and it seems to have tons if different fonts for free. Problem is my AVG blocks it from downloading. Is this app ok if i go around the AVG or should i try a different app??
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    988 Global Posts

Default Re: what font app is best?

Anyone?? Im sure im not the only one who wants font choices besides the native options.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    I have an app called "fontomizer" and it seems to have tons if different fonts for free. Problem is my AVG blocks it from downloading. Is this app ok if i go around the AVG or should i try a different app??
    Where did you find this app

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    988 Global Posts

I got it in the play store. That is what doesn't make sense??

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

I got it in the play store. That is what doesn't make sense??
    What is avg saying

Virus scanners are well known for giving false-positives. I would almost guarantee that the file is safe, but read some of the reviews for anyone elese indicating that the file damaged their devices or sent their personal information to an unknown.
    My Desktop Connection

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by MobileMadness002 View Post
    Virus scanners are well known for giving false-positives. I would almost guarantee that the file is safe, but read some of the reviews for anyone elese indicating that the file damaged their devices or sent their personal information to an unknown.
    I agree and it may just be Seeing airpush software which if annoying but harmless

Just installed Font Installer from the App Store. Quite nice...!

Sent from my LT26i using Android Central Forums
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    988 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    What is avg saying

It is saying it does not recommend installing an app that is not from the android market?? Hell, i got it from the play store.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

It is saying it does not recommend installing an app that is not from the android market?? Hell, i got it from the play store.
    Yeah that's odd but if you want ill mess with the app and see if there is any adverse effects. But I doubt it

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    988 Global Posts

If you do, let me know how it works. I'd love to add new fonts to my device.

If you do, let me know how it works. I'd love to add new fonts to my device.
    Have you tried Font Installer?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    988 Global Posts

No I haven't but I will give it a look. Is that what you're using?

No I haven't but I will give it a look. Is that what you're using?
    Yes, I used Font Installer on my Sony Xperia S rooted (not bootloader unlocked) Android 4.0.4.

WARNING: I just tried it on Nexus 7 and it bricked it, I think. Sony Xperia S okay, quite nice with custom fonts.

Good luck, be sure to Nandroid backup, etc.

Warning: LOL okay don't install on Nexus 7, everything became Korean and previously bricked it.

Sent from my LT26i using Android Central Forums

OK I figured out font changing long story can't use app in most cases because of Android 4 specs. More later.

Awww yeah, I am the font mastah, the lyrical type trickstah...

(Roboto-Regular replaced with Myriad Pro. Roboto-Bold replaced with Cabin-Bold.)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what font app is best?-uploadfromtaptalk1355756057654.jpg  
    Last edited by sr2012; 12-17-2012 at 11:58 PM.

OK. Solved.

0. Samsung Devices
    There are font-changing apps for this. Appears to work, I don't have a Samsung device.

1. Other Devices: DON'T use font-changing apps
    There are font apps out there that may or may not be updated properly for Android 4.x ~ BRICKING YOUR DEVICE CAN HAPPEN

2. Why bricking happens
    (a)Wrong metadata
    (b)Wrong permissions

3. How to solve
    OK. Firstly this requires root, and you MUST BACKUP with TWRP Recovery, etc. or otherwise say hello to Brick City. You MUST KNOW what you are doing, I won't be held responsible, etc. etc. This is not a guide, just a quick update.

Download the font of your choice that you would like to use. Here's the trick: if the font is "Bold" it can't just say "Bold" in the filename. The ~metadata~ must be Bold as well.

How to check: On Mac OS X, open the font using Font Book (comes with OS X). Choose Preview > Show Font Info. Look under "Style" ~ this must be Bold if it is Bold. Example: Cabin Bold has Style "Bold". Hence you can replace Roboto-Bold.ttf. Walkway Bold, Black etc. has Style "Regular" ~ you can replace Roboto-Regular, but you will brick your device if you replace Roboto-Bold, because Android says, hey, this isn't "Bold"!

For Windows, download TypeLight at CR8 Software Solutions ... Now I haven't really tried it, but open the font file, then in menu choose Font > Description... Same thing here, Bold must be Bold if you are replacing Roboto-Bold. You can apparently also edit this accordingly in TypeLight but I haven't tried.

Next, assuming your font's metadata is fine, make a BACKUP of existing Roboto-Regular.ttf and Roboto-Bold.ttf using File Explorer or suitable app. Copy the ~new~ font file to /system/fonts, overwriting Roboto-Bold.ttf etc. using the proper name. That is, supercoolfont.ttf needs to be copied to /system/fonts with the name Roboto-Regular.ttf or Roboto-Bold.ttf depending on what you want to replace. If the new font is .TTF, that's fine. If the new font is .OTF then change it to .TTF, this seems to work.

After overwriting, DO NOT reboot yet.

You must set the permissions of the file to RW-R--R-- or bricking can/will happen.

OK, now reboot and everything should work. If it doesn't, please post below.

REMEMBER ~ if you BRICK your device just use TWRP or similar File Manager ~ so just delete the new font and then rename your backup to normal eg. rename Roboto-Bold.ttf.backup to Roboto-Bold.ttf so in essence Android doesn't see any difference and this should unbrick things. You do not need to restore from backup, reflash ROM etc. because it's just the new font file with wrong metadata or wrong permissions that bricks the device.
    Last edited by sr2012; 12-18-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Bauhaus Flipfont by Monotype Imaging Inc. (Playstore). Download one font at a time (not a multi-font app) but no issues for my beloved S2!

Galaxy S4 - The Best is Yet to Come!