1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Default Which DLNA upnp client for my phone?

All,

I've recently gotten in to the DLNA concept, in particular by converting my PC in to a media server using Serviio software. So far, I like the server side of things; Serviio works well and doesn't bog my machine down.

Where I'm struggling is on the client side of things. My phone is a Droid Razr Maxx and I'm soon to have a Nexus 10 at Christmas.

There are so many DNLA client apps, but I find that they're all lacking in some way. Most do internal rendering of pictures and playing of music, but most also seem to do this sloppy - no ability to zoom pics, no share button to share easily, loss of control of the music player, etc.

I'm looking for a real clean DLNA/upnp client, even if I have to pay a few bucks for it, that can do the following:
    • Preferably pass content (pictures, music, video) to an external player of my choice. If this isn't possible, then at least...
    • Support for all three formats: pictures, music, and video. Some clients treat pictures like music.
    • Zoom pictures.
    • Landscape mode for pictures.
    • Treat a photo album like an album and allow you to swipe from one photo to the next (rather than just clicking on each picture link individually).
    • Share button to allow sharing pictures on Facebook, email, text, etc.
    • Maybe something that will also let me access my media server over 3G/4G eventually (via Serviio) - not critical for me right now.

Any thoughts out there? I've tried bubbleupnp, upnplay, arkmc, skifta, and they all seem to have limitations.

If I can get this working, I'd love to get more in to video and tie in more devices to the system.

Default Re: Which DLNA upnp client for my phone?

How is it going with searching?
    I agree with you on the subject. DLNA looks like cool technology, but still it is not so cool. There are a lot of functions, but they are not working as well as expect them to work.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Good View Post
    I agree with you on the subject. DLNA looks like cool technology, but still it is not so cool. There are a lot of functions, but they are not working as well as expect them to work.
    So far I've been using BubbleuPnP. It appears to offer the majority of what I've been looking for in this type of app. Interface is not so clean, but it's no worse than streaming my media over my XBOX at the moment. Since Jellybean, the DLNA functionality that used to be built in to my Razr by Motorola seems missing anyway.
    Thanked by:
    hape 
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Good View Post
    I'm on skifta now. Much more refined ui. But its missing some features like image share.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

I think I know the exact app your looking for because I have used Skifita and some other DLNA apps.But sometimes i faced problems because lack of features that we are looking.Now I'm using ArkMC . It works great with my NAS and Sony TV.Here is the