1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts

Default Ascendo DataVault alternative?

Ascendo's DataVault has worked out great between my PC and Blackberry. Anticipating a switchover to Android (Droid X) and figuring out my critical apps.

Datavault doesn't have an Android version. Does anyone know anything about Ascendo's plan to or not to port it over to the Android platform?

Looks like I can export data to csv.

Any recommendations of currently available Android apps that are excellent password managers with ability to PC sync?

I too used DataVault on BB and have been looking at options but not finalized yet. I like the feel of SplashID as a pure DataVault replacement. I don't really use the single signon type features, but also considering LastPass as the notion of storing my credentails w/ access on all platforms is interesting. (but is it overkill for me?) Interested in feedback from others as well...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts

I emailed Ascendo and Marc Bolh, CEO Ascendo Inc. responded in less than 24 hours. He informed me that they have started development of DataVault for Android though don't have an estimated release date, and will contact me when a beta becomes available.

Great news to hear about DataVault being ported over to Android, since this has been an excellent app for me on my PC and Blackberry.

Email Marc Bohl and let him know your desires for an Android version of DataVault, along with being notified of a beta version.
    info at ascendo-inc dot com

One I would recommend highly is "SecForms" You should be able to find it in the market (it is called "SecForms Lite" in the market - FREE). If you go to the web site () for this tool there is a paid PC version that syncs nicely with the Android version. It will sync either over your wifi connection or the USB connection. It is an excellent tool and I almost never see it mentioned.

I used eWallet on my blackberry and really missed it when I switched to Android. Evidently they are also working on an Android version, they currently have an Android 'viewer' which seems to work well too. They also have a PC version. ()

It seems that the Android platform has taken all these vendors by surprise and they are scrambling to get their tools ported to Android. That is a good thing

Like Jubz, I am a satisfied DataVault user on BB, also anticipating a transition to Droid X. Are any of the endorsed apps (SplashID, LastPass, SecForms) able to import data from DataVault?

Default Datavault

I emailed them months back and they kept saying it will be out in a few weeks. I loved Datavault but noone can wait 6 months for a fricking port job, so after messing with Splash, Lastpass and some others I've switched over sadly to KeePass, desktop version is nice but not quite as intuitive or slick as Datavault. Droid version is read only so you can't add new records out of the office which sucks for now but isn't catastrophic. Use Dropbox to sync up the database file from your desktop(s) to the droid, great system with little effort to setup.

Great open source system with numerous plugins, but no plugin to import from Datavault no, you can export from DV to csv but if you have any custom fields they won't come in cleanly. Keepass is flexible but needs some work to get imports working as desired.

i use a password protected MS Word File with Strong Encryption and Documents To Go. the beauty is you can open this file on any device in the world with MS Word or Docs To Go. Docs To Go 3.0 coming soon will support Office 2007 Super Strong Encryption/Password.

i like the free-flow format and the open standard of an MS Word File. i don't like some mom and pop locked proprietary closed format. and MS Word and Docs To Go is free if you already have it.

I just emailed Ascendo today asking about a beta version for Droid that I had read about...and got a terse "it is in development stage" reply.

I have three years worth of stuff on Datavault for my Blackberry, I'd rather pass a stone than re-enter all of that stuff by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
    I just emailed Ascendo today asking about a beta version for Droid that I had read about...and got a terse "it is in development stage" reply.

I have three years worth of stuff on Datavault for my Blackberry, I'd rather pass a stone than re-enter all of that stuff by hand.
    can you copy and paste or export your data into a password protected encrypted MS Word 2007 file?

if not this is a great example of why not to lock your data into a proprietary mom & pop black box application that may or may not support you in the future. MS Word is an open format that should always be available.

see my post above. Use a password protected encrypted MS Word 2007 file + Dropbox + Dropbox Android App + Documents To Go Android App and open your file from any device anywhere in the world.

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

I too have been getting the "we're working on it" reply from Ascendo for nearly a year now.

I used eWallet on my Treo. When I went to BB, they didn't (at the time), and I changed to DataVault. It was a very manual change-over.

I too have 6 years of data, I really like the sync and PC interface of DataVault, as well as the handheld interface.

I do NOT want to have to change again ....... certainly not manually. I have not found a way to do an export of the data.

I think we just keep sending the emails pressuring Ascendo -- the demand is clearly there -- the response is not.

again - this is a great reason not to lock your data into a closed locked proprietary mom & pop black box application that may or may not support you in the future. stick with open formats like MS Word that can be opened with multiple applications on multiple devices.

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spjika View Post
    I emailed them months back and they kept saying it will be out in a few weeks. I loved Datavault but noone can wait 6 months for a fricking port job, so after messing with Splash, Lastpass and some others I've switched over sadly to KeePass, desktop version is nice but not quite as intuitive or slick as Datavault. Droid version is read only so you can't add new records out of the office which sucks for now but isn't catastrophic. Use Dropbox to sync up the database file from your desktop(s) to the droid, great system with little effort to setup.

Great open source system with numerous plugins, but no plugin to import from Datavault no, you can export from DV to csv but if you have any custom fields they won't come in cleanly. Keepass is flexible but needs some work to get imports working as desired.
    I'm using keepass on my EVO and I can create new entries from my phone. It updates my file automatically through dropbox so my desktop has the most recent file.

I used datavault for many years on BlackBerry and switched to LastPass when I got my first Android device a month ago. Datavault on the desktop has both an export feature to csv and copy and paste features of the data. There would be some work in transitioning from one to the other but it is not overly difficult.

LastPass has a browser plugin which can capture your login information and then store it in LastPass automatically. I used this feature on the desktop by copying the information from datavault to my browser with LastPass prompting to add it once I clicked the login button. For the other entries I just copied and pasted between the two applications.

LastPass has an export feature incase a switch is wanted or needed in the future.

here's the category format i use for my Word file in case anyone wants to use it. you simply list each item under each category. it's a free flow open format so you don't have to worry about fields etc. so you can customize it any way you want to. i love it.

----------------

DATA (the file name - or whatever you want to call it. keep it somewhat obscure to prevent hacking.)

DEBIT AND CREDIT CARDS

ATM PINS

CHECKING AND SAVINGS ACCOUNTS

ONLINE BANKING

INVESTMENTS

COMPUTER AND SOFTWARE

CABLE AND WIRELESS

EMAIL ACCOUNTS

TECHNOLOGY SERVICES

RETAILERS

UTILITIES

AUTOMOBILE

INSURANCE

VALUABLES

AIRLINES AND TRAINS

HOTELS

12-11-10 (date of last version)

----------------

LastPass also has a mobile site that is accessible from the Android browser if the native application is not for you. The url is

Ascendo beta should be opening up shortly.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Its been over a month since the last thread about the datavault beta. Is there any word on its arrival?

None so far AFAIK...
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Ascendo DataVault alternative?

I received a reply from a tech at Datavault and he indicated that a beta would be out by the 17th of Aug lets keep out fingers crossed
    Last edited by hmfoster; 08-06-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    DNA-Verizon
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts

Wow, this is good news...hopefully. LOL, I didn't realize I've been holding off on migrating my Datavault content to KeePass.

Another vote for . I have used that program for many years, starting on Palm, then Windows Mobile, then Blackberry, and now Android. Excellent customer service response when needed, and it sure has been nice not to bother re-entering data.

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

+1 for KeyPass. I used it on my BlackBerry and PC. It made the migration to Android very easy. Plus, the database file is added to my Dropbox, so the all the data stays synced on all devices.