[APP] Google Voice + Messaging (With Popup Notifications!)

decalex

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
A new app on the Play Store that I'm excited about.

Banner.jpg

Background
I use Google Voice as my primary number, and it's been frustrating that Google has failed to add very many interesting (necessary?) features to their Google Voice app. In addition, they don't have a public API, so it's difficult for developers to work with it. I've been searching for solutions all over the interwebz since Google Voice was Grand Central.
I've been using this app for a few weeks, and have since reached out to the dev, offering help with testing and offer to possibly work with him on design aspects in the future.

Why I think this app is great
? One app to manage your SMS messages (Carrier & Google Voice)
? Google Voice popups and quick reply without another 3rd party app
? Uses your stock messaging database to store messages (backup apps work)
? Very nice to have a Google Voice alternative that actually works

The Futurree
In speaking with the developer, once all bugs are ironed out, he's got plans for future theme addons, more popup options, GV Message sync (difficult).. and possibly *optional* FB Messenger and Twitter DM integration. I've already themed myself a version which I'll post up.
The developer will also be adding LightFlow support soon.

Important Details
The app is a TRIAL, and subsequently is available through in-app purchase.
I'm posting this because I know you hardcore GV users would probably like to check this out... and we all know that Google Play store discovery is still terrible.

Current Bugs
The only bug I've encountered is, when a message is sent while in Landscape mode, it will be sent through your carrier. The dev has acknowledged this and it should be fixed within the next day or two. If you're on Gingerbread, it should work fine, but feel free to chime in if you have issues.

I've also read that MMS may have issues, especially if you're trying to send directly from the Gallery.

Download
Messaging + Google Voice

Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I am.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't like pop-up notifications, so I'm hoping the dev will update the app to use Android's enhanced expanded notifications... And also include contact photos in the notification. Right now it's just the app icon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12