- 31 Posts
Best offline mapping app for Asia?
Traveling to Japan and Taiwan next week and Verizon's global data roaming is absurd (20 cents per meg prepaid, 20 dollars per meg if you exceed). So, I want to download maps in advance that will track my progress via gps (turn by turn nice but not a must have).
Google maps is deeply flawed at the moment, limited to 6 maps, that you can't save to SD, and not available for either Japan or Taiwan. Most searches for best map result in "best free app" or whatever. I don't mind paying a few bucks for something that's actually good. Sygic's interface looks nice, but no Japan. TripAdvisor thing looks good for tourism, but not much else, and doesn't cover Taipei.
Can anyone suggest an app for a decent price that is reasonable on battery use and can provide gps mapping thru most metro areas (Tokyo absence from most is baffling... 13.7M people!) without a data connection?
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
- 03-19-2013, 04:55 AM #2
- 4 Posts
Re: Best offline mapping app for Asia?
Yes, I know your problem.
20 dollars per meg is crazy even if you exceed!
Google maps is useless.
MapsWithMe app is the best for me. Has all countries and all cities inside and works absolutely offline.
It doesn't have turn by turn navigation.. But GPS works perfect.
Had Lite version before - it was free. Last year I travelled to Japan. This app made my trip! I bought Pro for $4 or smth like that and I had offline search and all the POIs saved.
Enjoy your trip!
- 03-19-2013, 04:59 AM #3
- By Bako in forum Android ApplicationsReplies: 67Last Post: 06-15-2013, 08:26 PM
- By prakash99 in forum Android ApplicationsReplies: 14Last Post: 05-14-2012, 07:31 PM
- By pharoh in forum Motorola XoomReplies: 50Last Post: 07-12-2011, 08:37 AM
- By cedarstud in forum AT&T CaptivateReplies: 4Last Post: 08-01-2010, 06:59 PM
- By Lurch81#AC in forum Android ApplicationsReplies: 10Last Post: 06-23-2010, 12:50 PM