Google music background data

jessesmith8888

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
The new app seems to be doing something in the background. I haven't streamed on cellular. I need to figure this out, I don't have unlimited data!

What ya think?

Edit: this screen shot is after one day. Hopefully it was a one time deal with syncing or something. But I am usually on wifi so it seems like a lot of background data after I left home and hadn't used the app.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368719271411.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368719271411.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 66

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Is this before or after the update that was released yesterday? When I updated yesterday, the app stopped working. It crashes every time I try start it up. So frustrating since I already signed up for their all access service.

ring o fire

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Screenshot_2013-05-16-18-15-51.png

I am noticing a ton of data usage as well...not quite sure why. I assumed that Google Music would work the same as it did before with my own music uploaded into the cloud; only this is there music. Anyone have an opinion on this.

jessesmith8888

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Hmm.. Not cool! I have it set to only stream on wifi to. All this "background data" is happening after I leave home.

I wonder if it's preloading the next songs on the playlist or something that isn't considered streaming.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
well...I used 53mb background data and 10 mb foreground..and only streamed 4 songs last night...so 60mb for 4 songs is rather excessive so yeah...something is going on in the background that I dont like.. I also dont have high quality checked and caching over wifi only...Hope they can fix this!!

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I ended up checking the option to restrict background data. So far I haven't seen any ill effects from doing so. I will leave it checked until an update is pushed out to fix this problem.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I have had the same issue. The first time after the update, I took it to the gym and it chewed up 445 MB of data in one hour. Not only was high quality streaming turned off, caching was turned off. I uninstalled the updates, re-installed the app, and the next morning it ate up 107MB in 20 minutes. I have yet to find a cure. It seems that no matter what I do, it downloads gobs of data in the background for no apparent reason. It's a shame, too, because I was ready to fork over $8 a month for All Access. But not if keeps eating data like this.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I ended up checking the option to restrict background data. So far I haven't seen any ill effects from doing so. I will leave it checked until an update is pushed out to fix this problem.
In my experience, disabling background data will not allow music to stream while the app is in the background (i.e. when I am using a different app and want to listen to music or play music while the screen is off).

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Love this app but I've gone through 1.4GB on cellular data for about 30 songs. This is the third day I've used it and my cap is 3GB. Pretty crazy. Oh and I have 24 days left on this months data 0.o going over even if I stop now lmao.

Sent from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
In my experience, disabling background data will not allow music to stream while the app is in the background (i.e. when I am using a different app and want to listen to music or play music while the screen is off).

So far I haven't found that to be the case with Google Music. With the option to restrict background data on, I was able to listen to music (in the radio section) on 3G and use other applications at the same time and the music kept streaming.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
So far I haven't found that to be the case with Google Music. With the option to restrict background data on, I was able to listen to music (in the radio section) on 3G and use other applications at the same time and the music kept streaming.
That's really interesting. Whenever I restrict background data and then start a song in Play Music (usually on Radio), and then switch out to use another app, I always get this notification, usually within less than a minute.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkne7rdaji96hav/IMG_20130519_160501.JPG

Last edited:

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I didn't even notice this until I saw this thread. Im glad I have unlimited. Hopefully they'll release an update cause I'm sure that has to be killing battery life too.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD

ring o fire

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering about this as well...It seems that it may or may not work.

My deal is that I use Play Music daily, before the update, and was only about 1 GB into my data usage at 15 days into my billing cycle (according to my phone). I thought this was pretty good considering it is all streaming and I was just etching into a 1/3 of my allowance halfway through my billing cycle...and then I started streaming the radio and my data usage exploded; all over the place. I stopped using the radio and went back to listening to my own albums that I uploaded to Play and everything was fine again, as in my data usage was back to normal.

The same thing happened to my brother, borrowedchief a few posts up, and the only thing our dumb brains can come up with is that it is the constant caching. Tomorrow, on my train ride to work, I am going to turn the caching off and use the radio and see what happens.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing the same data usage as the rest of you. Before All Access, streaming my uploaded music used maybe 2-3G data over my billing cycle. I use Play Music 2-3 hours / day. Full Access is using that over 4 days. I've unchecked highest quality. Restricting background data, once the app is put into background while another app is used, I lose streaming. I also find this happening when the screen is turned off.

I'm hoping that Google will fix this. I left Spotify because of better content on Google. I have unlimited data, but I'm going to find out soon, how unlimited.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have been using Google Music for about a week now and I am chomping through the data streaming my playlists. Be careful. If you are on a tiered plan.. It doesn't seem to play nice lol. I stream about 4hours a day at work.

I also do not have the high quality option checked.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369855612750.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369855612750.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 21

DQSooner

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Just curious if the "restrict background data" is a setting in the music app or a general setting for your phone? I can't find it anywhere in the new Google Music app (doesn't mean it isn't there as I've often discovered).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae