Why can't/don't apps take advantage of push notifications??

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Former Blackberry user here. I understand that different platforms have different ways of handling updates/sync/notifications, but I am wondering....

Why don't apps like facebook use the pushed GMail facebook notifications to link to the Facebook app? I have been using my GMail to receive my notifications and then go into the Facebook app to read more. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of having push technology??? I know that Android has the potential to handle notifications MUCH better than this without draining your battery polling the servers every 5 minutes. The Chrome to Phone app (Froyo) is a perfect example of this. I click on something in my browser and select "send to android" and immediately my phone is beeping as it receives the link.... why can't apps work this way?

Push is a wonderful thing, I just wish that apps actually utilized this technology. Can anyone tell me why they do not? Just wondering, pardon the rant...

theanswer3

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i think they are working on it. In Andriod 2.2 they have cloud to device protocols that are pretty sweet, but android 2.2 needs to be more widely implemented. It will come in a bit. I came from a bb also, and that is probably the one thing i really miss was instant notification for everything.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan