Google Navigation issue...

organix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that the Google Navigation sometimes gives terrible routes? I am in Chicago and it seems that google will completely ignore some expressways...which is very odd to me. Last night it gave me a route that would take about 40 minutes when sprint navigation projected just under 20 minutes. The difference was taking streets vs. the expressway. I do not have the "avoid tollways" option checked off. I did check the alternate routes and none will take credit for that expressway. I'm stumped.

Anyone else experience this? Or know a reason why this may be happening?

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
It's weird because sometimes it gives me great directions and other times I just stare at it scratching my head and saying seriously? Then there's the issue that twice now it's sent me to the wrong area. Once it was off by almost a mile. I love Google Nav but it seems to be a little unreliable. I wouldn't use it to go cross country like I did last year using Sprint Nav. I don't like Sprint Nav much at all but I think I'm gonna have to go back to it :(

organix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I am kind of torn on which to use. My biggest problem with the Sprint Nav is that it has too much loading for my liking. It doesn't load that much on other phones (Pre and Blackberries) so I'm not sure why it loads so much on the Evo.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
We're on the same page about that. I absolutely HATE the loading in Sprint Nav. It takes way too long to input your destination and start going. What I love about the Google Nav is it takes only a few seconds to get you going. Also with Sprint Nav it takes forever to recalculate the route if you miss a turn or something. With Google Nav everything is so damn fast. But again it's just a little too unreliable. You would think Google of all companies would have an accurate Navigation system considering the money and resources it's spent on Google Earth and the Street view stuff.

pseudo_nomen

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Something along these same lines that always stumped me about Google Nav is it will quite often plot different routes/directions for going vs returning from someplace. I can Google nav from my house to, say a restaurant. But then when I have Google nav take me back to my house it will take a *distinctly* different route. And not by just a little bit. And not something attributable to one-way streets or access ramps or anything.

EeZeEpEe

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Is Google Nav accounting for traffic? If you add the traffic layer, are the expressways yellow or red?

Yeah it does account for traffic. On the bottom left where it puts the estimated length time of dive there's a colored dot that's either green, yellow, or red. Pressing it will allow you to choose between three routes with estimated times for each. I love this feature.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon