Not getting all notifications with the new Gmail 4.5? Here's how to fix it!

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
THE PROBLEM: Gmail 4.5 was not giving notifications most of the time. I had manually downloaded the APK on Monday and it seemed to work fine, but on Tuesday I noticed I wasn't getting any notifications. I rolled back the update via System>Apps>Uninstall Updates and it updated through Play to 4.3.x or something. Wednesday, the 4.5 update rolled out to me in Play and I updated, but now it's acting the same way, only giving notifications about 20% of the time, if that. Not cool.

After practicing some Google fu, I finally found out what was causing the notification problem, namely that if you have the new tabbed inbox folders set up on the web, ONLY the Primary folder has notifications turned on by default if you have notifications set. The Social, Promotions, Updates and Forums folders are turned OFF by default and have to be manually configured, both in turning them on AND setting a ringtone. AFAIK, there is no "Make folders use master notification setting" option.

To configure notifications for sub-folders:
  1. Select an Inbox folder (e.g. Social) from the slide-out window.
  2. From the overflow menu (i.e. the three dots in the upper-right corner) select Label Settings
  3. Toggle on "Label notifications" and configure to your heart's content.
  4. Rinse, repeat with all the other folders.
To not have to put up with this nonsense:
  1. Go to your Gmail Inbox via the web.
  2. Click the gear icon in the upper-right and select "Configure Inbox."
  3. Uncheck all the sub-folders and click Save.
  4. PROFIT!!! Also, get all your mail notified like before since the Inbox will revert to the old style.
I'll give you one guess as to which method I used. This folder system would be better IMO if we could notify based on labels instead of categories chosen by Google. Have one ringtone for your Significant Other, another for work emails, etc.

Hope this helps someone!

Eruditass

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
What it needs is to have the option to propagate notification settings to sublabels. My base labels are importance, and under that are a bunch of labels on the subject.

I have to go through each sublabel for my most important base level to set up notifications, and again with different settings for my next most important.

On desktop, it's easy to set things like color for the base level and have it propagate, but not on mobile, where it is quite tedious.

scott750

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly what I was looking for! Been driving me crazy not getting my notifications after the new Gmail update. Thanked!

Laura_Lou

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

First of all, thanks for the advice - I wondered why I was only getting notifications on some messages...

However, for the last week or so I haven't been getting any notifications at all for gmail. I checked the app settings, the settings for every label and turned everything off and on again, but nothing's changing :(

Does anybody have an idea what could be the reason for that?

Laura

julianh72

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the fix!

I am now getting notifications again - I thought I had broken something, but it looks like Google changed the internal settings and behaviours. I have sent Google feedback suggesting there should be a master "notifications" setting option which applies to all Folders by default (with individual Folder over-rides if desired), and suggest others do likewise to see if we can get this fixed in the next update.

JeanMichelAubin

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much!

I find that being able to filter which label I want notification for is really useful as I have a "promotion" label on which I receive flyers and promotionnal mail in colossal amount and I would not like notifications for those mails because that would drive me crazy.

I like the automated classification of the mail in 4.5. You need a bit more tapping to read everything but you can prioritize your reading easily.

ceg1904

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I cannot figure this out whatsoever. Im not that savvy when it comes to this kind of stuff. All I know is my gmail was working fine and it recently went through an update and I stopped getting my notifications. I read your post on what to do but I cannot find the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner once I open the slide menu. PLEASE HELP!!! :-[

Sanjay Mendis

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I cannot see the right dots on the mobile. It comes only when a message is selected and that just changes the folder. You seem to have helped many though.

darkraijin

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks... for me on HTC 1 X+ ... for some odd reason I'm not even getting notifications on my regular inbox.
I'm connected to Wifi and should. Man I hate X+ cannot wait to jump back on Note 2. I've put in your fix... hope I start getting email notifications. For now thanks for all your effort.

davejhahn

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this information. This has been driving me nuts and I actually never found the answer, which was simple and took me a minute to fix.

This is a BAD default setting. For people that are not savvy to Android how would they ever know this? Stupid default.

Terry Cameron

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. I've been trying to figure out what was going on.

Its a bit of a mess now. It should have been highlighted by a popup bubble when I opened the new version of the app.

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I cannot figure this out whatsoever. Im not that savvy when it comes to this kind of stuff. All I know is my gmail was working fine and it recently went through an update and I stopped getting my notifications. I read your post on what to do but I cannot find the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner once I open the slide menu. PLEASE HELP!!! :-[
Like ceg1904 and Sanjay Mendis, the op instructions don’t make sense for my particular setup of Gmail 4.7.1. It's probably either difference in versions or else something configured differently (there are many ways to set up gmail). I also don’t have Google-created labels like social etc, I have my own labels.

What works for me to adjust these settings on my phone with my version and configuration is pretty much me exactly what you'd expect:
Open Gmail on your phone
Click “inbox” (ULHC) to pull up a list of your labels
select the particular label of interest (anything other than inbox) to pull up list of those messages
press menu button
select “label settings”
check the box “label notifications”. Now you will get notifications for this particular label.

dj9281

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
"Open Gmail on your phone
Click ?inbox? (ULHC) to pull up a list of your labels
select the particular label of interest (anything other than inbox) to pull up list of those messages
press menu button
select ?label settings?
check the box ?label notifications?. Now you will get notifications for this particular label. "

I checked this and the label notifications box is checked but I am NOT getting any label notifications anymore. HTC1. Any other suggestions?