What Droid App Is Missing?

shinydiscopants

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
One e-mail app that works and pushes all accounts (esp. Yahoo and Exchange) would be nice. Right now, I have to use K-9 to poll Yahoo and the stock e-mail app for Exchange. AND it should have a search function (like K-9)

One media app that works with all media formats would be nice too. Or at least one for all audio and one for all video. Right now, I have to use Rockplayer for AVI and MixZing for M4A.

And I haven't found a player that plays WAV yet.

ThinkingDroid

Banned
Aug 17, 2010
www.ThinkingDroid.com
App

One e-mail app that works and pushes all accounts (esp. Yahoo and Exchange) would be nice. Right now, I have to use K-9 to poll Yahoo and the stock e-mail app for Exchange. AND it should have a search function (like K-9)

One media app that works with all media formats would be nice too. Or at least one for all audio and one for all video. Right now, I have to use Rockplayer for AVI and MixZing for M4A.

And I haven't found a player that plays WAV yet.

Yea...we have am email app in development.....unfortunately, it probably 3-4 weeks away....we have an app coming in about 2 days....I'll post details here.....it will not be a huge app, and its a niche

sgtmack

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Another thread got me thinking. How hard would a simple firewall be to code? Something to keep your phone from sending info you didn't tell it to send. As the hackers get smarter, key loggers and such will become more common, and a firewall seems like a useful idea.

prubin

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Non-rooted shut down/ restart app.

Setting for "roam only." Sprint is out where I am but still registering. I cannot make or receive calls. My wife has an old phone we put on "roam only" but that is not available for the Evo (or any new phone). Would be nice.

theanswer3

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I think a be all end all app that allows you to change the led notification for all events together like berry buzz for bb. With that I could change calendar event, email(including each account getting its own), incoming calls missed calls, text, mms, facebook, twitter etc. With the ones currently avialable in the market you can do some but not others and that is a pain, have to use gmail notifier for gmail app, handcent for text and mms, roadsync for exchange email, and missed call for other email, missed calls, etc. So that is 4 apps I have to do the job that one should be able to do. I want nothing the same color so when i see the led blinking i quickly know what i have waiting. Would gladly pay for one app that controls all led notifications.

Oh and a way to put the phone in sleep mode by plugging it in, as in no radio, no led notification, no ringtones etc. or at least a way to shut off led notification at night very easily. i hear no sounds at night, but when i get a message, my room looks like a christmas tree with the led blinking.

Last edited:

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I've been looking for a good Call Recorder. I haven't found a good one yet and it baffles me. On my old Palm Centro years ago I had a program that would record both sides of a conversation.

While I was searching for a good app there seemed to be a pretty good demand out there for it. People want to easily be able to record calls for legal reasons and there just isn't anything good out there. Being able to save the calls to email would be nice as well.

Goldwinger

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Here are a few ideas that I carry over from the Blackberry world.

1. Email filtering app. Ability to process email based on conditions, like who it's from, what domain is it from, etc.

2. Email to calendar event or task. Ability to take an email and process a calendar event with the subject of the email as the event or task title.

3. A Quicklaunch type app. If you don't know what this is, it's an app that allows you to have one icon that pops up a list that can launch apps, email, sms, phone calls and many other functions.

I've only had the Droid X for a week now and have gone through 1000 different apps filtering down to the ones I like and want to use. I'm having a blast doing it, so if anyone knows of apps that can already do what I've requested, please let me know cause I still haven't found them yet.

Thanks,

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
OK, my numeric keyboard problem is solved. What great support and what a great keyboard at Smart Keyboard. I know these are very personal issues, what you like and don't. For me, as a numbers guy, I felt like I needed the hard keyboard in order to have the cursor pad for spreadsheets. So I jumped on the Droid, but sad to say, I finally gave up trying to do spreadsheet work since it was just so bad to work with.

Now, I'm back! I don't need no stinkin' hardware keyboard anymore. Smart Keyboard's numeric pad, which mimics a calculator layout, has the cursors on the same screen, so navigating around should be a breeze.

sharkerbaby

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Robust Integrated PIM

I'd like to add my voice regarding a good robust integrated PIM application. I resisted switching from a Palm device solely because of the PIM capability but alas my device had other ideas and decided on its own to retire. I (and many others) have been waiting, watching, and requesting the developer of my most favored 3rd party Palm PIM to create an Android based version but seemingly to no avail. Many of us have stated the first to market application with a good robust integrated PIM will get our business. In the meantime we wait and watch and request and hope. Perhaps you will come through for us?

Further, I don't believe most of us would have qualms about paying a premium price for just such an app. I doubt that company's pricing structure would work in the Android world (~$60 for the premier edition) but should suffice to show users with the need are willing to compensate the developer fairly.

Needs;

ability to link contacts, calendar, notes, tasks, and ideally email.
ability to sync w/ outlook
ability to categorize all of the above
good "today" or "agenda" type view

I'm sure there is more but those are the basic "must haves"

FWIW, and for your reference my Palm PIM of choice was Agendus

Thank you for the opportunity to offer suggestions.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
3. A Quicklaunch type app. If you don't know what this is, it's an app that allows you to have one icon that pops up a list that can launch apps, email, sms, phone calls and many other functions.

idk, i mean quick launch was somewhat of an essential app if you had the blackberry storm because of the lack of space on the homescreen and freedom to do what you wanted. with android you have multiple home screens and also you can set shortcuts anywhere on the homescreens. i am not sure if im understanding what you mean and i do apologize if im misinterpreting it.

theanswer3

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Needs;

ability to link contacts, calendar, notes, tasks, and ideally email.
ability to sync w/ outlook
ability to categorize all of the above
good "today" or "agenda" type view

I'm sure there is more but those are the basic "must haves"

FWIW, and for your reference my Palm PIM of choice was Agendus

Thank you for the opportunity to offer suggestions.

Pocket Informant PIM is coming out really soon on Android, this will probably handle most of your concerns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair