The Official Launcher Pro discussion thread

JuniorWWT

May 18, 2010
Visit site
You can put a shortcut and a swipe gesture on each dock location. For instance, on the middle button I replaced the shortcut to launch phone when pressed as thats what I am used to on Sense. I also applied s swipe up gesture to launch app drawer on the same button. A single press and you get the phone, a swipe up and you get apps. Tellin ya! Launcher Pro is the bees knees!

blashandroid

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
You can put a shortcut and a swipe gesture on each dock location. For instance, on the middle button I replaced the shortcut to launch phone when pressed as thats what I am used to on Sense. I also applied s swipe up gesture to launch app drawer on the same button. A single press and you get the phone, a swipe up and you get apps. Tellin ya! Launcher Pro is the bees knees!

I want to climb on the Launcher Pro bandwagon but its not coming easy. I like your reference about being used to Sense because I'm trying to transition to the Droid X from the HTC Eris myself so I'm used to Sense as well. Will try the setup you mentioned and go from there. Thanks for the example.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
So I just installed LauncherPro. I have to say I'm VERY impressed. There is something that is annoying me and might be a deal breaker... No way to use the Friendstream widget... Not even the HTC Twitter app Peep widget either. Is there a way to use it?? Would I have to purchase the plus version to get it??

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Tried the LauncherPro Plus (paid unlock of the free version). Caused some weirdness after installed. I would advise folks to clear off their home screens before loading the LP+. It zaps whatever was there anyway, but in fact, the original screens aren't gone. They re-appear if you uninstall LP+.

When LP+ is added, some of the widgets don't work right or are extremely slow - for example the Moto widget "Contact quick tasks", which I use for all family members. I'd guess the fact there were a bunch of these on my original home screens and then another bunch added to the LP+ home screens caused conflicts.

Ultimately, I uninstalled LP+ (sadly, I have to add). Loved the 15-icon revolving dock and all the customization that was possible, including the number of home screens. Might try again later, but if I do, it will be with clean home screens to start. Hopefully, this will make a difference. Otherwise, though, the app functioned very well. And, is a LOT of FUN to play with.

texagg01

May 18, 2010
Visit site

I also use the swipe motion from the middle icon of each of my two docks to launch the app drawer. Great minds think alike!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

StraightWisdom

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
So I just installed LauncherPro. I have to say I'm VERY impressed. There is something that is annoying me and might be a deal breaker... No way to use the Friendstream widget... Not even the HTC Twitter app Peep widget either. Is there a way to use it?? Would I have to purchase the plus version to get it??

I use Pure Messenger to replace Friendstream. It's the closest thing to it and it works pretty well with LauncherPro

Side note:
after the most recent update i've been getting a lot of Force Closes lately... more than usual.

JuniorWWT

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have replaced friendstream with tweetdeck. It's still early beta but a widget us in the works and I actually like it better.
I also use middle swipe for apps in all three bars. Great minds!!

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the replies. I thought not being able to use friendsteam would bother me but so far the customization has made me not care too much. Ive been using the official twitter app which is a carbon copy of the facebook app . Its pretty good but i dont like the widget. thanks for the suggestions though. im gonna try them both out.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I re-installed LP+ with all my home screens blank and I only have a minor problem with the "Contact Quick Tasks" widget. If I turn off/on or do a battery pull - I have to re-size them. Otherwise, though, they load contact info fast and, once re-sized, they stay just fine. I don't have to re-load the actual contact numbers after re-sizing.

Before, when I loaded LP+ over my existing screens full of widgets and shortcuts, the Contacts Quick Tasks would take several seconds to load the contact numbers and would re-size themselves to non-functional.

I notice also that the day/time widget (Moto's) ceases to function properly after a on/off or batt pull. I had to delete it and reinstall. So, maybe there are still some compatibility issues here and there.

Beyond these minor issues, this is an impressive app. You don't need a theme change - you can personalize your DX any way you want with this app. I sure hope it works seamlessly with the Froyo, whenever that shows up. I know it can be problematical to upgrade an OS with an overlay app like this one in place.

groundkontrol

May 28, 2010
Visit site
LauncherPro Questions... get first Android tomorrow

I'm getting a Droid Incredible tomorrow :) and I've seen a lot of nice-looking home screens on here with LauncherPro so that will be the first thing I download. I had a few questions though:

1) Do I need to download HomeSwitcher to install LauncherPro? If not, should I download it?

2) Do I need to remove all the HTC Sense widgets that are on my homescreens before switching to LauncherPro?

3) Have people noticed any significant battery drain when using LauncherPro?

4) I'm in love with the huge HTC clock/weather widget. I know there's version available for LauncherPro, what's it called and how do I get it?

5) Do the stock dock icons in LauncherPro have counters? For example, a GMail unread mail counter, an unread text counter, and a missed call counter? GTalk?

Sorry for so many questions! Thanks!

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
1. you dont need to install homeswitcher, but it makes it much easier to go back to the stock launcher if you need or want to. i would download it, i have it on mine.
2. i've asked this before, and wanted to know if they would basically be running twice, one in each launcher. never really got an answer. i will say though, that what i did was just delete the widgets on the original home screen and re-added them to launcher pro. now, with that said, you wont be able to use any stock htc widgets on launcher pro, only non stock widgets.
3. i havent seen anymore drain on my device at all (samsung captivate)
4. i use beautiful widgets with the weather to get the htc clock/weather, you can also search around for the apk of another program that escapes me now. it was pulled i guess due to htc complaining. i found a copy of it though.
5. yes it has options for counters for everything but gtalk. thats one of the main things i like about it. coming from an iphone that was one thing i missed!

groundkontrol

May 28, 2010
Visit site
1. you dont need to install homeswitcher, but it makes it much easier to go back to the stock launcher if you need or want to. i would download it, i have it on mine.
2. i've asked this before, and wanted to know if they would basically be running twice, one in each launcher. never really got an answer. i will say though, that what i did was just delete the widgets on the original home screen and re-added them to launcher pro. now, with that said, you wont be able to use any stock htc widgets on launcher pro, only non stock widgets.
3. i havent seen anymore drain on my device at all (samsung captivate)
4. i use beautiful widgets with the weather to get the htc clock/weather, you can also search around for the apk of another program that escapes me now. it was pulled i guess due to htc complaining. i found a copy of it though.
5. yes it has options for counters for everything but gtalk. thats one of the main things i like about it. coming from an iphone that was one thing i missed!

Thanks for your reply! What do you mean "coming from an iphone that was one thing i missed"? You had the unread counter on iPhone and now you have it on Android with LauncherPro, correct?

Can anyone answer quesiton #2 about turning off all HTC widgets. Also, do most people use beautiful widgets to mimic the HTC weather clock? Is this the best option to do that? THANKS!

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
yup i have the unread counter now with launcher pro, but before i didnt have it. i only had the taskbar notification icon when an email came in, but i had no way to tell how many were actually waiting on me. launcher pro fixed that issue. same with sms.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
to answer question 2, yes, remove any widgets and shortcuts from your sense homescreen either before switching to LP, or by using home switcher to go back to sense after installing LP. and no, you wont be able use sense widgets on LP (a limitation of all third-party launchers).

you wont be able to find a clock in BW that looks exactly like the sense clock (thanks to a c&d order from htc), but BW is incredibly customizable and has over 100 clock skins and over a dozen weather skins to choose from, with more being added constantly.

the other program that had the clock strikingly similar to the sense clock was called fancy widget. it has been pulled from the market, but you can still find the apk floating around on the interwebs (on these forums even, i believe)

1xmattx1

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
That Clock the Looks exactly like the sense is called FancyWidget

here's the QR code
fancy-widget-qr.png

Just use a barcode scanner app to scan this then it will open in the market and you can download. Although you can't just search for it in the market but that QR will take you to it.

groundkontrol

May 28, 2010
Visit site
That Clock the Looks exactly like the sense is called FancyWidget

here's the QR code
fancy-widget-qr.png

Just use a barcode scanner app to scan this then it will open in the market and you can download. Although you can't just search for it in the market but that QR will take you to it.

How reliable is Fancy Widget? Does it have any issues where the clock is wrong or it reports the wrong weather?

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Delay when adding app shortcut to home page??

Tried a couple of searches in the thread with no luck. I apologize if this has already been asked.

When I press on an open spot on a homescreen to add an app shortcut, I immediately get the first options window, but after I select "Shortcut" and then "Application", there is a very long delay before my list of apps shows up. Is this because I might have too many apps on my phone that are slowing it down? OR, is there a bug that I don't know about?

I hope I'm not overloaded on apps because I really do use every app on my phone - most practical, few games - and can't think of a single one that I would want to delete. Yes - this phone runs my life!! :)

Any suggestions for fixing this would be appreciated!

stepchild

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Tried a couple of searches in the thread with no luck. I apologize if this has already been asked.

When I press on an open spot on a homescreen to add an app shortcut, I immediately get the first options window, but after I select "Shortcut" and then "Application", there is a very long delay before my list of apps shows up. Is this because I might have too many apps on my phone that are slowing it down? OR, is there a bug that I don't know about?

I hope I'm not overloaded on apps because I really do use every app on my phone - most practical, few games - and can't think of a single one that I would want to delete. Yes - this phone runs my life!! :)

Any suggestions for fixing this would be appreciated!

I would say it's the number of apps you have. Mind is the same way. If I go right back and do it again they load very fast. It just takes awhile on first load.