Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: Navigation Icon (Blue) Disappeared

Thanks, I was so disappointed when my Navigation was gone, and happy to have it back. Now if I could find a way to stop automatic updates, I would be estatic

i had the same problem, the only way to get it back is to go to market and uninstall update then it will reappear. just did it

Unfortunately, I can't find the "Google Play" app on my Razr M. Any ideas where to go from here? BTW, does your method prevent updates to everything, or just Maps? And will it prevent important map updates?

Yes, most certainly. Read the below calmly and to the end and you'll be fine:

Root Of The Problem
    No, the navigation icon didnít just disappear. If youíve recently updated the Maps app, you could expect this problem to happen. In fact, the Galaxy S3 units were not just the ones hit by this issue but all Android phones.

Navigation has always been a part of the Maps app; basically, itís one app with two icons. Recent updates, however, removed the Navigation icon because it is now deeply integrated into the main application. So, when you applied the new update for Maps, the Navigation was also updated but its icon was removed.

Bringing Navigation Icon Back
    There are two ways you can bring back the Navigation icon, in case youíre used to using it. The first would be to uninstall the Maps app.

1.Tap the Menu key from the home screen.
    2.Tap Settings.
    3.Touch More tab.
    4.Tap Application Manager.
    5.Swipe left to choose All tab.
    6.Scroll to and tap Maps.
    7.Tap the Uninstall button.
    The second way to bring the blue arrow back is to uninstall the recent Maps update.

1.Tap the Menu key from the home screen.
    2.Tap Settings.
    3.Touch More tab.
    4.Tap Application Manager.
    5.Swipe left to choose All tab.
    6.Scroll to and tap Maps.
    7.Tap Uninstall Updates button.
    Thatís easy, right? But thereís a catch. The icon now looks a bit bigger with the Navigation app having totally different interfaceÖ again, thatís part of the update.

These two procedures are temporary fixes, obviously. The permanent solution is to accept that the Navigation icon doesnít exist but it does not mean you canít use it anymore. As I said earlier, it is now deeply integrated into the main app.

Using Navigation Inside Maps
    Hereís how you could use that same old Navigation application.

1.Launch Maps.
    2.Search for your destination.
    3.Tap the car icon.
    4.Tap the card for directions.
    5.Tap the blue arrow for voice directions.
    Unless you could learn to use the new application, you would always find it difficult to get over the disappearance of the Navigation icon on Galaxy S3.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Kilpatrick View Post
    Using Navigation Inside Maps
    Hereís how you could use that same old Navigation application.

1.Launch Maps.
    2.Search for your destination.
    3.Tap the car icon.
    4.Tap the card for directions.
    5.Tap the blue arrow for voice directions.
    Unless you could learn to use the new application, you would always find it difficult to get over the disappearance of the Navigation icon on Galaxy S3.
    I take issue with #2.

How do you "Search for your destination"? As far as I can see the only way is to type the destination in, and that's a significant inconvenience if it's the only way and you have to do it every time.

With the old Navigation version I could very quickly select a destination from my Contacts -- no typing required.

If there is a way to select a destination from Contacts with the new Maps, please advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Soporose View Post
    I take issue with #2.

How do you "Search for your destination"? As far as I can see the only way is to type the destination in, and that's a significant inconvenience if it's the only way and you have to do it every time.

With the old Navigation version I could very quickly select a destination from my Contacts -- no typing required.

If there is a way to select a destination from Contacts with the new Maps, please advise.
    Riddle me this: I just used the Maps icon, and then put in a known address via a voice command. It knew what I said, but said it doesn't know that address. I then uninstalled the updates, rolled back to factory install, hit the navigation icon, hit the microphone, spoke the same address, found it, no problem, navigation complete. What are they trying to do? This is just crazy!

After the Google Maps update Navigator is NO LONGER a "stand alone" app on your phone.
    To access Navigator as you know it, use Google Maps:
    Enter the destination
    When the results come up, click on the "car icon" of the route you want to take.
    You will get a google map route.
    THEN, click the blue Navigator Arrow and the map switches over to the Navigator view you are used to seeing.
    A few more steps (ugh), but eventually you will get the interface you are used to.

I TRIED uninstalling the google maps update which DOES put Navigator back as it was, but eventually google maps will update again and wipe out this process.
    Looks like the only thing to do is to adjust to the new change and access Navigator via Google Maps ap.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Soporose View Post
    I take issue with #2.

Open contacts and open contact you want then click on the address.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by FishenFool View Post
    Open contacts and open contact you want then click on the address.
    Thanks for that. I wasn't aware that Contacts was that smart!

So the procedure seems to be:

1. Launch contacts.

2. Select desired Contact from list.

3. Scroll to the address field for that contact and tap it.

4. Tap "Get Directions" ribbon at the bottom of the screen.

5. Tap the car icon.

6. Tap "Navigation" on the ribbon at the bottom of the screen.

7. Navigation opens up with the route to the destination.

It's a long-winded process compared to the old blue arrow, but at least it works.

Again, thanks for the tip.

This tip is very good, thaks

Are starred places still accessible with the new maps? I usually go on my home pc and look up a list of locations and star them while on my pc. With the old Nav, I could pull up a list of my starred locations and they'd simply be listed. Is that still possible?

Quote Originally Posted by jokeyhaha View Post
    Are starred places still accessible with the new maps? I usually go on my home pc and look up a list of locations and star them while on my pc. With the old Nav, I could pull up a list of my starred locations and they'd simply be listed. Is that still possible?
    Yes, open maps, click the "person" the icon to the right of the search bar and you should see your saved places. As far as I know you are not able to access your "My Maps" but you can access your starred places.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Correct even i thought my kid might have uninstalled it. But later checked the maps it has the navigation inbuilt looks good let see how it works.

Thumbs up Re: Navigation Icon (Blue) Disappeared

Thanks man, i went through two phones not even thinking about when n why it would stop, but sure enough i removed google maps and all other updates from today n my blue arrow is back!!! Thanks bro!!!:d

Hi there, when customer support cannot help you and say "go to the forum and ask" - I can give another advice. Go to your friends and ask. This is exactly what I did when it happened to me. Luckily enough one of my friends works for and he helped me to unload my updates and restore the factory version. Do not forget your friends, guys, and good luck to you all!

you r da MAN thanks so very much may God bless you so many times

How can I get my blue icon navigated back and working? And how do I keep from loosing my apps again ?

Here's an interesting thing about the "blue icon". I have a XOOM tablet, but only use it wifi ... I don't want to pay Verizon for a data add for very few uses. Anyway, the blue icon still exists on the tablet. And, I do get many, many updates. So, Android for a phone is different than Android for a tablet ???

OK, so this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to share a fix for this, WITHOUT disabling and uninstalling updates. You'll simply need a launcher that supports Custom Activities Shortcuts (ADW.Launcher or Nova Launcher, for example)

Long press your home screen and select a New Shortcut.
    Choose Activities.
    Scroll down through the list of apps and choose Maps.
    From the list of actions, choose Navigation.

Voila! You've got your Navigation icon back. It's still the 'new' navigation screen, but still the icon is back

Thank You sooo much...It worked...so happy to have that blue icon back on my phone
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12