1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Data monitoring app?

So in the past few weeks (since getting the Droid X) I've been curious on how much data my phone was using so I installed the My Verizon app. Now I've got about a week or so left on the this month billing cycle and noticed that I've got almost 1GB of data used.

I'm curious on whats using so much data. I know I have Facebook and Weather Bug running in the background along with the gmail app and one Comcast email. I use Pandora every once in a while and the web when I dont have access to a computer. I was curious...is there an app out there that can tell me which process or app is using data and break it down by the numbers?

ROM
    Bamf Paradigm

i don't know of such an app out there.

the biggest hindrance in developing such an app is because your X consumes
    data from your 3g connection and wifi connection. if you look at the data estimate on your phone/website, it won't account for data consumed via wifi (data transmitted via wifi is not accumulating any fee or amount towards your data cap imposed by your carrier, Verizon).

theoretically, an app developer COULD develop an app that would only keep track of data sent/received when wifi on the phone is turned off, but there are even more problems with this event thereafter (ie roaming data charges)

for now, your best bet is to just check your usage online.

edit: http://www.androidcentral.com/myveri...nter-widget-it

however--be careful--as i'm uncertain this will actually count ALL data, not just data being charged (ie counting all data transferred over wifi, too--which doesn't count towards your monthly limit)

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

will segregate the wifi and 3G data for you, but I don't know of any app that does it per-application - my Spidey senses tell me that may require root if it's possible though. Then again, (unrelated app) shows connection information on unrooted devices that is usually only available via tcpdump, which requires root on most architectures.

Note that the Verizon app is the only one that knows what your billing date is, other apps will report monthly usage based on the calendar month.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)

I use NetCounter.

Yes there most definitely is apps out there for that. Just go to the market and search for"data usage". That will bring up a whole list of them. I personally use this program call "stats". It tracks both your data and phone usage, you can of course do the regular stuffs like change the frequency etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by VDoubleUVR6 View Post
    So in the past few weeks (since getting the Droid X) I've been curious on how much data my phone was using so I installed the My Verizon app. Now I've got about a week or so left on the this month billing cycle and noticed that I've got almost 1GB of data used.

I'm curious on whats using so much data. I know I have Facebook and Weather Bug running in the background along with the gmail app and one Comcast email. I use Pandora every once in a while and the web when I dont have access to a computer. I was curious...is there an app out there that can tell me which process or app is using data and break it down by the numbers?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

trafficinfo does per app, but only for 3g

Default Re: Data monitoring app?

Another option

Similar to TrafficInfo...

HR